The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    joelf Guest
    Just because.

Living For the City, from Innervisions (1976?) is IMO a relatively early masterpiece. Musically it's special in every way. For me the highlight is the 3/4 instrumental section (which has vocals, like a Greek chorus, at the end). Once I learned the changes I saw and heard even more what genius was at play.

And as storytelling it works like a 7+ minute play. I love the way Stevie's voice gets grittier when the character gets out of jail and is walking the streets, hardened. 'His hair is long, his feet are hard and gritty...':

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joelf Guest
    Some ballads, also from the '70s:

And this less well-known offering from Music of my Mind. The late Malcolm Cecil did the synth programming on that recording, and subsequent ones through Fullfilingness's First Finale. I think Stevie demonstrated what he wanted on a keyboard and Cecil took it from there:

This one starts out as a rhythm tune, then the ballad kicks in at around 3:04. The synth programming gives me chills, and it has great work, including a solo over the vocal, by my teen hero the great Buzz(y) Feiten:

OK, y'all got it!
    Last edited by joelf; 10-13-2023 at 08:04 PM.

joelf Guest