The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I’ve scoured the internet and can’t find a lead sheet for Skylark in the key of Ab. Anyone have a source?
    Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    I’ve scoured the internet and can’t find a lead sheet for Skylark in the key of Ab. Anyone have a source?
    Thanks
    So glad I went to the bother of learning to transpose melodies into other keys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso
    So glad I went to the bother of learning to transpose melodies into other keys.
    Is it bothersome to learn, or just tedious to perform?

User Info Menu

Very useful when you have to arrange for transposing instruments such as Bb and Eb horns. The more you do it, the easier it is. It's communication.

User Info Menu

Very useful indeed. I remember transposing for arranging class at Berklee 40+ years ago. It did get easier (and quicker) with practice.

User Info Menu

If you are going to be a musician,learning to transpose to another key is a basic requirement,especially if you work with singers or horn players.I learned when i was 17.People want apps or software programs to do everything for them.Learn to do it for yourself and i guarantee you will be greatly rewarded.

User Info Menu

It’s easy to find a chart in Eb. Shift up a 4th or move over one string to transpose to Ab.

Rough crowd…yeah I know how to transpose. Sometimes you just want to save some time. Plus a proper lead sheet comes in handy.

User Info Menu

yeah they’re into tough love round
    here , try not to take it personally !

there is a lot of support here too
    (sorry no i don’t a sheet for you)

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz
    If you are going to be a musician,learning to transpose to another key is a basic requirement,especially if you work with singers or horn players.I learned when i was 17.People want apps or software programs to do everything for them.Learn to do it for yourself and i guarantee you will be greatly rewarded.
    Yup. If you can't transpose you're sort of dead in the water.

And word will get around!

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Thanks
    Suggestion: If you sing, try singing it in Ab, transposing the changes in your head from the key you know it in and playing along to back yourself. (If you don't sing, play the melody in Ab, again transposing the changes).

Once you have it down you can write your own lead sheet...
    Last edited by joelf; 10-01-2023 at 04:16 PM.

joelf Guest
    Here's Ella singing it in Ab. Perhaps you could transcribe it from her rendition. She sings the melody pretty straight, except for one inspired moment for one bar on the bridge:

Last edited by joelf; 10-01-2023 at 05:26 PM.

For posterity a lead sheet in Ab attached. Seems to follow the Ella version.

Skylark Ab.pdf
    Last edited by alltunes; 10-04-2023 at 03:08 PM.