The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Manha de Carnaval
    Theme From Black Orpheus
    A Day In The Life Of A Fool

I love this site - Jazz Standards. Jazz Standards Introduction: Origins, History, Theory, Musicology, Biographies, and Books

It helped me put learning lists together.

I can not find this beautiful Luiz Bonfa song on the top 1000.

I find plenty indications of recordings elsewhere. It was called a lot. Is it a regional thing?

I hope someone finds it on the Jazz Standards top 1000 and makes me look like an idiot.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can’t find it either. That’s odd.

User Info Menu

Not there.

Note how the songs are not linked even if they are mentioned:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

There is a contact form

Jazz Standards, Jazz History, Musicology, Biographies and Books

where you could point them to their omission.

Seems like quite a few people have recorded the song.

Manha de Carnaval - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

I looked around for the inclusion criteria the "1000 most-frequently recorded" tunes and in the "What Dataset Was Used for the Ranking?" section found that, first, "1000 jazz artists were identified using various respected jazz music guides. Only the artists who appeared in all of the guides were retained and only artists whose main body of work is jazz." After some treatment of sorting out and disambiguating titles, there's this (to my ear, odd) qualification: "Out-of-print media (CDs, sheet music, and vinyl records) were not included and are not of concern as they are inconsistent with our definition’s phrase 'held in continuing esteem.'" The whole process sounds a bit pseudoscientific/faux-objective to me.

The absence of "Black Orpheus"/"Mahna de Carnaval" from a list of standards is indeed strange, since I can find charts for it in many places in my music library, and it gets called pretty frequently by the group I sit in with--and their playlist is dominated by the standard fakebook repertory.

Given the site's obvious attempt to be statistically based and thus objective, I'd say that this omission suggests a problem with their methods.

BTW, in the list-by-year sorting, I notice the theme from Exodus--the movie came out the year after Black Orpheus, and I recall the LP of the Exodus soundtrack being a big deal and the soundtrack's main theme and a cover by Ferrante and Teicher were radio hits (though neither was jazz). By 1964 "Black Orpheus" was covered by at least ten sure-enough jazz performers. Of course, if some of those albums are out of print, then they must be deficient in the "continuing esteem" department.

A last BTW: The site as a whole is useful and interesting. It's the straining after objectivity that I find odd. (And I'm a certified academic fusspot, so I recognize fusspottery when I see it.)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    So beautiful Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by RLetson

BTW, in the list-by-year sorting, I notice the theme from Exodus--the movie came out the year after Black Orpheus, and I recall the LP of the Exodus soundtrack being a big deal and the soundtrack's main theme and a cover by Ferrante and Teicher were radio hits (though neither was jazz). By 1964 "Black Orpheus" was covered by at least ten sure-enough jazz performers. Of course, if some of those albums are out of print, then they must be deficient in the "continuing esteem" department.

A last BTW: The site as a whole is useful and interesting. It's the straining after objectivity that I find odd. (And I'm a certified academic fusspot, so I recognize fusspottery when I see it.)
    A thoughtful and thorough post, thank you.
    I have almost 40,000 items in my collection and excluding recordings I've done of Black Orpheus I have seven instances. Only two of the Theme From Exodus (Cannonball & Dizzy) which I've never learned or played or heard called.

That said I concur that this Top Standards site is a valuable resource.

Thanks for everybody's research.

User Info Menu

You father smells of elderberries.

User Info Menu

Have you seen this list of people who've covered this tune?

Just a moment...

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Have you seen this list of people who've covered this tune?

Just a moment...
    I hadn't! But it kind of proves my point.

User Info Menu

Perhaps I'm slow - in fact it's very likely these days - but what exactly are you looking for re this tune? I don't quite get it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    So beautiful Rob.
    That's lovely. Without trying to derail the thread, could you speak on this tuning? Am I hearing the fifth string as a D as well as the low A?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    That's lovely. Without trying to derail the thread, could you speak on this tuning? Am I hearing the fifth string as a D as well as the low A?
    I'm hearing D Minor also.

Perhaps I'm slow - in fact it's very likely these days - but what exactly are you looking for re this tune? I don't quite get it.
    Just confirmation that it indeed is and has been a popular call. Your link certainly help to prove that. Also a bit out of a shout out to 1000 Top Standards.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I thought it might prick your ears up, so to speak. These are the "Low A" set from Aquila. Every string is down a 5th. The cool thing is that they have the same diameters as a regular-tuned set, so there is no need to drill bigger holes in the bridge. They'll fit most regular classical guitars. The tuning suits some things really well, some not at all. They even have a Low E set - every string down an octave. I'm not sure that would be much fun after two minutes of exploration. They also have a High A set, with everything up a fifth. Good for ensemble work.

It wasn't my intention, of course, to derail the thread. Sorry, Alan. Normal service will resume very soon.

User Info Menu

I thought it might prick your ears up, so to speak. These are the "Low A" set from Aquila. Every string is down a 5th. The cool thing is that they have the same diameters as a regular-tuned set, so there is no need to drill bigger holes in the bridge. They'll fit most regular classical guitars. The tuning suits some things really well, some not at all. They even have a Low E set - every string down an octave. I'm not sure that would be much fun after two minutes of exploration. They also have a High A set, with everything up a fifth. Good for ensemble work.

It wasn't my intention, of course, to derail the thread. Sorry, Alan. Normal service will resume very soon.
    Very interesting...might want to try those. Where did you find them?

User Info Menu

I had to order them from their website in Italy, but you should contact their Aquila USA website: Aquila Strings Home page. www.AquilaUSA.com - they don't have them in stock, but should be able to get them for you.

User Info Menu

'Perhaps I'm slow - in fact it's very likely these days - but what exactly are you looking for re this tune? I don't quite get it.'

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Just confirmation that it indeed is and has been a popular call. Your link certainly help to prove that. Also a bit out of a shout out to 1000 Top Standards.
    Sorry, have you answered the wrong post?

What are you looking for exactly? That the tune is still popular? I'm sure it is, it's a lovely tune. Tunes like that don't die because they're not being accessed daily on the internet!

'Perhaps I'm slow - in fact it's very likely these days - but what exactly are you looking for re this tune? I don't quite get it.'

Sorry, have you answered the wrong post?

What are you looking for exactly? That the tune is still popular? I'm sure it is, it's a lovely tune. Tunes like that don't die because they're not being accessed daily on the internet!
    Nope. That's my answer. Lovely tune indeed. I've been singing the English lyrics lately.

joelf Guest
    That film and those songs mean so much to me. They're part of my DNA.

There has been criticism in some quarters that the film sort of sugar-coated life in the favelas, painted over the poverty, crime and generally hard lives people lead there. I know there's truth in that, but purely as a rendering of a myth, with a great score, scenery and terrific acting---well, the fact that it's beloved all over the world says a lot.

Interestingly, there was a remake in the '90s which didn't flinch from the gritty realities of favela life, and with a score by Caetano Veloso. I saw it and thought it was fine. I appreciate that it was an effective counterbalance to the original.

But that original! It will stay in my soul as long as I live...