The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Anyone gig with this song? What's your arrangement? The original recording is AABACACA. All the other Giruldini recordings seem like predetermined arrangements, not improvised. Would you just keep the CA cycle going?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I always thought the C's sounded improvised, at least to an extent. I suppose you could just hang on the C and give everybody a go, but it seems like the tight arrangement is kind of important to this tune.

User Info Menu

Maybe I’ll just let someone in the band take the C and keep the tune quick. Someone requested it last time we played and I like playing songs people like…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Someone requested it last time we played and I like playing songs people like…
    You’ll never make it as a jazz musician.

just kidding … obvs.

But it reminds of the story about how Miles named “Nardis” …

Someone asked Bill Evans to play Surry With the Fringe on Top or some such and he sneered and said “I don’t play that sh** — I’m an artist.”

But he had his nasally New Jersey accent and it sound like “ah mah nardis.”

User Info Menu

For the first part, I mean within reason. If someone comes to my jazz gig and requests an extremely popular straight ahead jazz tune (Linus and Lucy) then I'd like to know it. My 5 year old even requested I get out the guitar and play it for him yesterday, so I think it's going to go over well.

For Nardis, that's a really timely anecdote for me, I was just listening to Nardis yesterday wondering what the name was about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen

For Nardis, that's a really timely anecdote for me, I was just listening to Nardis yesterday wondering what the name was about.
    he was bullshitting you. it's sidran backwards. like airegin in a way....

User Info Menu

Of course, to muddy the waters, there's the other story that Nardis is writer Ben Sidran's last name backwards...

At any rate, that's a weird request for summer...that song will forever be associated with Christmas in my mind, even though it appeared in other Peanuts gang specials too...

But Guaraldi could improvise for sure!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    Whoa whoa whoa whoa I am doing no such thing.

Cant remember where I read it but there are other versions out there:

Reddit - Dive into anything

Its definitely apocryphal and maybe full out false, but I love it.

EDIT: Ah! There’s a comment down that Reddit thread where it cites Ted Gioia in “The Jazz Standards.” That’s definitely where I would’ve gotten it. I have that book on a shelf somewhere and used to read about the tunes I was learning when I was in college.

User Info Menu

Also I love this naming convention a la Ecaroh, etc.

Actually I just love how acceptable it was to name tunes after yourself in general. I feel like I’ll know I’ve made it when I can roll up to a session and hand the dudes a pile of fifteen charts, ten of which are blueses, all of which are named after me. Dexter Rides Again comes to mind.

User Info Menu

So, you would have us believe that Miles named the song after a 15-year-old kid living in Racine, WI?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    At any rate, that's a weird request for summer...that song will forever be associated with Christmas in my mind, even though it appeared in other Peanuts gang specials too...

But Guaraldi could improvise for sure!
    Peanuts is a fall thing for me, Great Pumpkin was a bigger deal than Charlie Brown Christmas when I was a kid. If I remember correctly, we watched the California Raisins Christmas special at my house.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Also I love this naming convention a la Ecaroh, etc.

Actually I just love how acceptable it was to name tunes after yourself in general. I feel like I’ll know I’ve made it when I can roll up to a session and hand the dudes a pile of fifteen charts, ten of which are blueses, all of which are named after me. Dexter Rides Again comes to mind.
    i dont think that dex named those tunes. in fact i think he was kinda embarassed with the lame wordplays, like dextrose, etc...

User Info Menu

i dont think that dex named those tunes. in fact i think he was kinda embarassed with the lame wordplays, like dextrose, etc...
    I like to think he did. What a power move.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Someone asked Bill Evans to play Surry With the Fringe on Top or some such and he sneered and said “I don’t play that sh** — I’m an artist.”
    Thankfully Johnny Smith wasn’t above that and recorded it with one of my favorite vocalists

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    Thankfully Johnny Smith wasn’t above that and recorded it with one of my favorite vocalists

good for you! BK was a great singer that cut her life short way too soon....
    that's a great record btw
    not to get too sidetracked but in case you haven't seen this one....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    good for you! BK was a great singer that cut her life short way too soon....
    that's a great record btw
    not to get too sidetracked but in case you haven't seen this one....

Thanks for sharing it! I had not seen this, it’s awesome.