The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Stumbled on this yesterday and @ 9:45 thought "how did Herb manage to write a tune and call it Flamingo w out copyright infringement" Hadn't heard it since I was a kid and didn't know what it was then.
    Now I can see that's its the original Flamingo, I think first recorded by Al Hibbler w Duke but Albertized here.
    I should've known it was too hip for Herb to write

ps, yes that's guitarist John Pisano counting his money as he's playing, cha-ching....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

ps I like how he's "directing" the band on the opening number 'the lonely bull'
    The TJB wasn't a jazz band obviously but has anyone ever heard him play jazz?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Is John playing an electric 12 string?

Yeah Fender Electric XII. I haven't seen him w anything else w TJB, though he probably used other guitars in the studio as well.

User Info Menu

Still love that music from my youth... weird, but great. That is the original track, BTW, so they were lip-syncing (what's the instrumental equivalent? would be what they did with American Bandstand, as well. Must be a phrase for that.)

User Info Menu

Saw him on tour with his trio and his wife, Lani Hall a couple of years ago... he noodles diatonically around the changes, but it was still a nice show... Trio were monsters, probably a great paying gig for them and they seemed happy to be there. Lani sounded pretty nice, still, considering she was the original singer for Brasil 66 when they met. All in all, a very talented human being, hugely respected for having treated all the artists at A&M like royalty, plus he is well respected in the art world for his sculpture and painting. Not to mention donating $50 million to UCLA, and I think to a NY school, as well, to support young musicians.

He has nothing to be ashamed of and a long list of major accomplishments, without any apparent skeletons in the closet. Pretty remarkable in this day and age.

User Info Menu

Stumbled on this yesterday and @ 9:45 thought "how did Herb manage to write a tune and call it Flamingo w out copyright infringement" Hadn't heard it since I was a kid and didn't know what it was then.
    Now I can see that's its the original Flamingo, I think first recorded by Al Hibbler w Duke but Albertized here.
    I should've known it was too hip for Herb to write

ps, yes that's guitarist John Pisano counting his money as he's playing, cha-ching....

On his record, Alpert credited Anderson and Grouya (the song writers) but took credit for the arrangement

User Info Menu

This…
    And his success as cohead at A&M Records, for 20 years, had some very big names on that label. I had no idea he also did art. Everything he touched turned to gold!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    This…
    And his success as cohead at A&M Records, for 20 years, had some very big names on that label. I had no idea he also did art. Everything he touched turned to gold!

When I was 12, I wanted to be Herb Alpert! I still don’t think it would have been a bad deal… I believe that was his first wife in the video, BTW.