its giving me trouble

I’m playing it basically in 5p (in F)
    any hints and tips ?

should i move around positions more
    do you think ?

thanks Bop people ….

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If I played that I would shift ten times (six of them without moving my thumb, just my hand).

User Info Menu

I recently transcribed this head. I used youtube and slowed it down. I play it around the twelfth fret, so in other words at the same pitch as played on record by Charlie Parker, rather than an octave down.

When you say trying to get this head down do you mean to play, or are you having trouble transcribing it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    i’m trying to get this head down
    its giving me trouble

I’m playing it basically in 5p (in F)
    any hints and tips ?

should i move around positions more
    do you think ?

thanks Bop people ….
    I play it in fifth position most of the time too.

Taking a wild guess, it’s probably the pickups to measure four and measure four that are trouble?

That Bb to C turn could be moved up or down to slur.

The other spot for me is measure nine and ten.

When I learn a bebop head, I learn it in all five or six of my usual scale fingering places. Not necessarily strict positions, but maybe an area encompassing two or three positions. I do that mostly for technical practice, and so that I’m able to play all the little bits of vocabulary in different places, but it’s super helpful for getting a handle on which of those little flourishes can be played on which sets of strings, in which positions.

Also I slur a lot. I slur into every downbeat I can in a given position. It makes the vibe a bit more saxophony and it makes the tempos more playable.

User Info Menu

I like to fingerpick this head in open position, using open strings and lots of articulation, albeit at a slower tempo than Bird’s.

it’s not the transcribing/playing
    so much as the actual melody ….

i think i’ve just got to do the
    repetitions , till it feels natural

It just feel jumpy and lumpy and disconnected from the blues to me
    a ce moment ….

thanks for you guys help tho

User Info Menu

iRealPro, set to 80bpm. You'll get it. No way to do things but the hard way.