The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I'm having a little trouble figuring out the progression (in C) in the line that reads: "In the evening when the day is through." I've got: A7 Dm7 A7 Dm7 Dbdim G7 or G13. Doesn't sound exactly right especially around the the Dbdim.

Anyone?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Whose version are you listening to? Different people do it different ways.

User Info Menu

I like John Pizzarelli’s version, but Chet Baker’s is good too. I just figured that the chord progression would generally be the same. How was the original version written?

User Info Menu

I don't know. The Real Book version is very basic. In fact, absurdly basic. There are other versions that are more complex. One goes like this:

Dm7 - Bb13/A7b9 - Ab7b5 - G7

This is another one. This might be nearer the Pizzarelli version.

Dm7/A7b9 - Dm7 - G11/Ab7 - G7

And so on, so it depends which version you're listening to.

User Info Menu

Thank you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zigracer
    [...] How was the original version written?
    This seems to be a reprint of the original vocal/piano sheet music. (You could use a google account to log in if you do not have an acount for the Internet Archive).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    [...] Check the notes on the piano. [...]
    That is what you are supposed to do looking at original vocal/piano sheet music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    That is what you are supposed to do looking at original vocal/piano sheet music.
    But why would I bother to do that? I don't play piano and I'm only vaguely familiar with the bass clef. It would be a long and laborious process for me personally. I only did it this time because it was four bars and it was obvious the printed guitar chords were inadequate.

Piano music isn't necessarily divided into neat identifiable chords. Rather, they tend to be movements of notes which imply chordal shifts. Besides, perfectly good chord versions are available today without going back many years to the original. And today's versions may be a vast and more exciting improvement on the original.

So, although Zigracer asked for the original, I'm not sure what the advantage would be. The history of the tune is here:

Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Time After Time)

and this is the original recording by Sinatra on Columbia.

User Info Menu

Thank you very much, Ragman! That is pretty much what I had. It was just that one passage that I wasn’t sure about.

User Info Menu

Have you decided on a version?

User Info Menu

I haven't had time to play with it yet today. Maybe tonight. I've got a solo rock/pop gig to prep for. I do have a couple of other diminished chords in my version that seem to work great. I'll let you know what I decide on for the whole tune. Thank you again!
    Last edited by Zigracer; 07-12-2023 at 04:25 PM.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=ragman1;1275405]Have you decided on a version?[/QUOTE

Here's what I think I've settled on. Note that it doesn't space out properly when I cut and pasted it here. Thank you for your help!

[Intro] Cmaj7 G13

[Verse 1]

Cmaj7 Am7 Dm7 G13
    Time after time
    Cmaj7 Am7 Dm7 G13
    I tell my self that I'm
    Cmaj7 Am7 Bm7b5 E7
    So lucky to be loving you

Am7 Am7/G Amb5/F#
    So lucky to be
    Am/F# B7 Em7
    The one you run to see
    A7 Dm7 A7 Dm7 Dbdim G7/G13
    In the evening when the day is through

[Verse 2]

Cmaj7 Am7 Dm7 G13
    I only know what I know
    Cmaj7 Am7 Dm7 G13
    The passing years will show
    Cmaj7 Am7 Gm7 C7b9 Fmaj7 Fm6
    You've kept my love so young, so new...

Cmaj7 Am7 Dm7 G13
    And time after time
    Cmaj7 Am7 Dm7 G13
    You'll hear me say that I'm
    Cmaj7 Am7 Dm7 G7 Cmaj7
    So lucky to be lov - ing you

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

We did this tune some years ago in the practical standards thread, for my recording I used the Hal Leonard real book version, I think it’s broadly similar to the old real book but with some more interesting passing chords:

Time After Time chords-img_0180-jpeg

Here’s my version:

User Info Menu

Thanks Gents,

Sorry, been away on the boat for a couple of days entertaining family members who flew in. Ragman, I am singing the tune, except for a short chord melody bridge. Also, the Dbdim was not exactly in the same spot as you put it, but it was wrong anyway. Kind of sounded pretty cool with a bit of tension, but probably a little further out than I have license to pull off. Yes, in your version I heard what you're talking about.

Grahambop, Being able to read the song in treble clef was very helpful. I only have one electronic edition of the Real Book and I can never decide which edition to buy next. I do like adding an A7 in the second half of measure 13, though.

I'll put up a video when I get this pulled together properly. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Zigracer; 07-20-2023 at 10:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Ah, you're back. Hope you had a good time, it sounds like it!

I think, if it's OK with you, I'll wait for your video. Then we can see exactly how you're playing this while you're singing. Thanks.