The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Out of nowhere - jazz standard, gibson 175 through a helix stomp/grammatico amp.

Spinal surgery recovery week 6.

Pain is back to "normal". Hoping for smooth sailing from this point. I have a followup xray and visit with my neurosurgeon on tuesday the 11th of july, 2023. Hopefully I get good news...

I was trying to play more in my regular style on this song, not doing my Pat Metheny emoting. My son jeremy says that sometimes my playing is like an uncontrolled locomotive. Hopefully, that's a good thing. Sorry for a wrong note or rhythm here or there...

And of course, I have listened to Charlie Parkers's version of this song for decades so in some small way, he has influenced everything I have ever played.

And I'm a big "LOVE" guy. I love deeply, love all my friends, all my family and believe that we all should openly display our warmth and hold our friends dearly in our open arms, our hearts and bathe them with golden sunlight and healing energy and I hope you can feel it in my playing because I'm giving it back.

And speaking of heart, I have some new artwork behind me. On the bottom row are 3 of my images from 4-5 years back. And to my left is a mosaic heart made by Mosaic Mitzi (Log into Facebook | Facebook) that my wife Sande and I saw at the Cain Park Arts Festival today (Log into Facebook | Facebook). This heart is made from mozaics (glass) and metal wire and just blew me away - as did all her pieces. I bought a heart for my dear wife and she ended up buying this one for me.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I gotta say your recent posts just playing these great tunes and maybe (?) processing your pain a little (?) are the reason I check in with the board every day. This is one of my favorite tunes ever, and I always love to hear it played with such affection and mastery. And the tone still has that Metheny vibe, which I like a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I gotta say your recent posts just playing these great tunes and maybe (?) processing your pain a little (?) are the reason I check in with the board every day. This is one of my favorite tunes ever, and I always love to hear it played with such affection and mastery. And the tone still has that Metheny vibe, which I like a lot.
    Thanks! I love the metheny tone. As I mentioned, I know so many people hate it and that it can be polarizing. And yeah, what a great tune. Pain is finally on the way back down so that's a good thing. I've even started exercising again...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Thanks! I love the metheny tone. As I mentioned, I know so many people hate it and that it can be polarizing. And yeah, what a great tune. Pain is finally on the way back down so that's a good thing. I've even started exercising again...
    Your posts have actually gotten me back to listening to music posts on the forum. You bring a lot to the table. I've been more or less dormant musically recently, and you're inspiring me to pick up the guitar and start working on it again.

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Your posts have actually gotten me back to listening to music posts on the forum. You bring a lot to the table. I've been more or less dormant musically recently, and you're inspiring me to pick up the guitar and start working on it again.
    That's great. I find that when people are engaged, I tend to want to continue working harder too. That's really the point of the group that gets lost sometimes. We're here to inspire each other.

User Info Menu

Your performance on this track was great and so was your tone. As someone who has had extensive back surgery I know how difficult it can be to stand holding the guitar. Keep on recovering and keep the recordings coming!

User Info Menu

Jack this is very nice and I like the tempo and very medium to just keep it melodic and not a rush and run. Also, I find the sound of this 175 the best you have put up. I think much smoother than the Kessel. I know you like those Kessels and they work, I just cannot get past the double pointed cutaway, I too traditional.

joelf Guest
    Nice, relaxed time feel; good ideas; superb control. Enjoyed it...

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Nice, relaxed time feel; good ideas; superb control. Enjoyed it...
    Thanks brother. hope you're well.

User Info Menu

Keep posting these excellent videos Jack.

And, thanks for reinforcing how important it is to tell the people who are important to you that you care about them.

Tony D.

User Info Menu

in all scenerios and my family and friends get great entertainment out of me being the last guy to know anything.So belay
    ted as it may be. DANG !!!taker of that spine sorry to hear that.Listen to you here makes me hope your spine therapy will be as effective and affective as the therapy i am getting right now listening to you. Brother!Thanks for posting.God speed.

Thanks and love you guys!

User Info Menu

Wonderful! I would 100% listen to an album of what you've been playing lately.

I've been working on "out of nowhere" lately and just did a video like this to listen to myself. I would NOT listen to an album of me playing over these tunes Lots of good inspiration from you. Thank you!

User Info Menu

What ever gave you that idea?

Pat Metheny has received 38 Grammy nominations and won 20 Grammy Awards, 20 Grammys playing INSTRUMENTAL JAZZ. That's unheard of, that's HUGE. Even the great George Benson only has 10 Grammys. Listen to me, "only 10," LOL, that's HUGE too. Pat has won 20 Grammys, Jay-Z has 24 and that's rap, not instrumental jazz. U2, the huge arena rock band has 22. The great Quincy Jones has 28, and the super talented legend Stevie Wonder himself has 25 Grammys. Are you getting this? Those are all artists, legends in their respective genres, playing popular music with vocals.

Pat has won 20 Grammys as a guitarist playing instrumental music, has platinum albums, even in the digital download era, and has sold in excess of 20 million records. He has sold more records than any other modern jazz guitar player EVER, except for George Benson, and we all know that George, in addition to his great jazz albums, also has an extensive catalog as an R&B singer that accounts for a lot of his huge commercial success. Hey, George has a great voice and obviously really loves singing, and R&B music as well as jazz. I read a magazine interview where Pat even said that if he could sing better, he would have made some vocal albums himself.

20 Grammys puts him in the company of the most decorated artists EVER. Doing that, playing instrumental jazz fusion music, is really a feat in itself. In addition to all that, he has received over 220 awards total in his career.

I think it's safe to say all that is testament to quite a few people really liking his sound over the years, and his inspired, genius level music.

Name one jazz guitarist who has won more awards than Pat Metheny. Name one jazz guitarist who has sold more records than Pat Metheny, except for George Benson. So obviously whatever he's been doing musically people seem to like it more than just about any other jazz guitarist. That's telling you that's a sound that people like and really appreciate. That's just the facts man.

Oh, and I sincerely hope you're feeling all better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by James Haze
    What ever gave you that idea?
    You don't have to convince me. I'm just going by the comments I've seen on here! It's a very eclectic group we have!

User Info Menu

Sounds great Jack!

The only people I've ever heard complain about Metheny's sound are other guitar players, and in the grand scheme of things, what do they matter?

User Info Menu

You don't have to convince me. I'm just going by the comments I've seen on here! It's a very eclectic group we have!
    Good to know that , I think his track record in the music industry speaks for itself. Good to see another fan of the Genius musician he is around here. Frankly, if someone isclaiming to be a musician is not, then their opinion about anything related to music has ZERO credibility, because Metheny's playing, and his HUGE contribution to the vocabulary of jazz guitar, and jazz music as a whole, has been nothing short of monumental. In a large band, in small jazz ensembles, solo guitar, in many genres of music, he has done it all, and on a gifted, truly amazing, inspiring, virtuoso level. He's also a tone miester is what he is.

"Going by the comments on here?" You mean the 12 guys who actually post on this site? The 12 guys who post on this site, with a preponderance of them being petty haters, is definitely not a representative sample of anything.

Eclectic, that's what you call it? I think the terms haters is much more accurate. If they're going to come on here and talk smack about one of the most successful, gifted, original, and no argument virtuoso jazz guitar players in music history, anything they say after that lacks any credibility whatsoever.

Pat Metheny is a musical genius if there ever was one, and he is also a consummate tone miester, because, being the musical genius he is, he understands that is a hugely important piece of being a great musician.

User Info Menu

his interview with rick beato was really enjoyable.Like talking to a down to earth realy good tradesman.