The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 126

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Babaluma
    Currently it is pretty much 50s blues and R&B.

Gatemouth Brown on Peacock and his comeback albums where he plays everything from zydeco to country and jump blues.

Pee Wee Crayton, very underrated guitarist, sort of a poor man's T-Bone Walker but with a more aggressive and anarchic guitar tone.

Buddy Guy on Chess and Vanguard, yes his guitar playing is great but it is his vocals that kill me!

Otis Rush's album Mourning in the Morning, funky horn driven blues rock.

The "5" Royales, classic vocal group with a killer underrated guitarist and songwriter Lowman Pauling. Check out the tune "Think".

Blues Shouters like Big Joe Turner and various compilations of labels like King and Speciality.
    Compilations do not have the real crackle.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Some killer taste in blues. That Little Milton is a great jam I know a fella in Austin who kills that one every time, such a great tune.

Any snooks eaglin appreciatiors? George Porter on bass...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    [...] Any snooks eaglin appreciatiors? George Porter on bass...

Around the year 2000 I found this album at a flea market in former East Berlin -- obviously was released during the last months of the German Democratic Republic.

EDIT: I can't remember any more: was I touring as lighting technician with a hip-hop band at that time or was this when my own band was supporting Fun Loving Criminals or Fishbone?

User Info Menu

Snooks was basically a blind blues and soul virtuouso. I heard he didn't want to tour and risk losing his disability check so he stuck close to home. He is equally at home on an acoustic. Just a unique talent much different from his peers while simultaneously keeping the tradition. Always interesting listening.

User Info Menu

Snooks was basically a blind blues and soul virtuouso. I heard he didn't want to tour and risk losing his disability check so he stuck close to home. He is equally at home on an acoustic. Just a unique talent much different from his peers while simultaneously keeping the tradition. Always interesting listening.
    That album is fully acoustic, sounds like he is playing a twelve-string. His singing on that album (compilation?) has a tender and melancholic quality to it that I always liked.

User Info Menu

Yeah gatemouth is probably among the most skilled bluesman he just hated being called a bluesman. "Pressure cooker" is a demonstration of his guitar mastery. I knew a guy in Nashville that was in his touring band for a time. Complete monster on his instrument. Ain't no slackers in gates band!
    He always plays with a capo mostly rather up high. I guess he was playing an open minor tuning like Albert Collins and used open (capo'ed) strings a lot. Great fast bop-ish lines swinging like hell.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

You sound like every retired Florida boomer. A veteran, Buddy Guy, an actual blues player, vs some guitar nerds. I still fail to see the genius in Peter Green. Did he ever play major pentatonics?.... Matt Schofield and Robben Ford are exceedingly boring and Robben has a squeak for a voice. They are guitar players but not entertainers so it's basically "blues" that appeals to whites only and guitar nerds. None of those guys will ever be on the Buddy Guy level. Blues is vocal music and entertainment first. Guitar chops is just a bonus not the focus. Buddy could hit one note and mop the floor with them three. Never mind his vocal ability and massive stage presence. The other two, Robben and Matt look like guys working at starbucks or the public library. There are a bunch of other guys more interesting than that out there right now but most people don't do any digging of their own.
    Marge? Is that you? how did you find me?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    I get it. Huge respect for his presence, contributions, longevity, etc. Just doesn’t do it for me like any of the Kings, Robben Ford, Peter Green, Matt Schofield. I would never argue with anyone’s taste or try to convince anyone to think differently. It’s just an example of what works for me and what doesn’t, but I can certainly take another listen
    Yes you can't love everything, sounds like you enjoy a ton of music! I came to Buddy quite late actually as I think there is a fairly narrow moment when he was recorded as he deserved. Some of his Chess stuff is brilliant but I don't feel they really knew what to do with him so it is inconsistent. I am then not a massive fan of his 80s hit albums, mainly the production, but glad he made the money he deserved!

Actually scrap what I said before, go straight for the live set Stone Crazy:

Stone Crazy - Wikipedia!

Not wanting to bang on but probably the most intense live blues album and this is really no hype, even if you just have one moment for Buddy make it this

User Info Menu

Classical, Classic Rock, Blues, R&B, Gospel

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Babaluma
    Yes you can't love everything, sounds like you enjoy a ton of music! I came to Buddy quite late actually as I think there is a fairly narrow moment when he was recorded as he deserved. Some of his Chess stuff is brilliant but I don't feel they really knew what to do with him so it is inconsistent. I am then not a massive fan of his 80s hit albums, mainly the production, but glad he made the money he deserved!

Actually scrap what I said before, go straight for the live set Stone Crazy:

Stone Crazy - Wikipedia!

Not wanting to bang on but probably the most intense live blues album and this is really no hype, even if you just have one moment for Buddy make it this
    Thanks, will look it up right now! And, guess who's coming to my town in August? Buddy! With Eric Gales opening! I actually did hear Buddy with Junior Wells about 50 years ago in undergrad, I'm sure I enjoyed it, but, I just like other players better, though that seems to not always be accepted by some around here.

All respect to Buddy for persevering all these years, likely turning thousands of people onto blues that might otherwise not get there. Probably has more cash in the bank than Robben and Matt combined, though probably not Bonamassa. Good thing we don't have to judge musical talent by financial statements.

Have to admit though, I'm really looking forward to hearing Eric Gales live. Of course, since he's admittedly heavily into Eric Johnson, I'm not sure that he's all that authentic and likely worthy of a public flogging, but I will try to cut him some slack while he searches to find the "one" note. (wink.)

User Info Menu

I keep coming back to Mary Lou Williams' album "My Mama Pinned A Rose On Me" from time to time which was one of the first jazz albums I ever listened to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    Thanks, will look it up right now! And, guess who's coming to my town in August? Buddy! With Eric Gales opening! I actually did hear Buddy with Junior Wells about 50 years ago in undergrad, I'm sure I enjoyed it, but, I just like other players better, though that seems to not always be accepted by some around here.

All respect to Buddy for persevering all these years, likely turning thousands of people onto blues that might otherwise not get there. Probably has more cash in the bank than Robben and Matt combined, though probably not Bonamassa. Good thing we don't have to judge musical talent by financial statements.

Have to admit though, I'm really looking forward to hearing Eric Gales live. Of course, since he's admittedly heavily into Eric Johnson, I'm not sure that he's all that authentic and likely worthy of a public flogging, but I will try to cut him some slack while he searches to find the "one" note. (wink.)
    Srv was very upset when he found out bb king was his opener. Why do you think that was?

User Info Menu

Big band swing, western swing, 40's and earlier country, Doc Watson, Merle Travis, early Chet, some earlier surf, some 50's rock, some Celtic, some ragtime. Absolutely no pop, hip hop, rock since '65. If I hear a distorted guitar, I'm gone. I'm old and I like old music. I can't see any sense in buying a $1000 guitar and using a $29 piece of electronic crap to ruin it's sound. Just me.......

User Info Menu

Oh man, better not mention the Klon Centaur

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Oh man, better not mention the Klon Centaur
    LOL!

He's from Bradenton though. If your band is louder than the sound of someone petting a cat in Bradenton, Sarasota, or Englewood you aren't invited back to the club. Them grey hairs down there need to be able to hear themselves chew dinner even if they can't hear to begin with. Palmetto is full of bikers and low brows, you can crank up a little more over there. Overall I found every gig outside of downtown St. Pete to be a waste of time. I generally only miss gulf coast Florida at sunset and during the TX winters....

User Info Menu

LOL!

He's from Bradenton though. If your band is louder than the sound of someone petting a cat in Bradenton, Sarasota, or Englewood you aren't invited back to the club. Them grey hairs down there need to be able to hear themselves chew dinner even if they can't hear to begin with. Palmetto is full of bikers and low brows, you can crank up a little more over there. Overall I found every gig outside of downtown St. Pete to be a waste of time. I generally only miss gulf coast Florida at sunset and during the TX winters....
    You've been here.....I can tell. Lotsa assisted living places to play, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    You've been here.....I can tell. Lotsa assisted living places to play, though.
    St Pete for about a dozen years over the course of 20 years in between multiple Texas and Tennessee moves. My parents are retired there. Sister lives there. Other sister lives in Tallahassee. Daughter lives there. Cousin lives there now. Not from there but probably the closest thing to a home I ever had. My wife is a nurse and musician. She worked about every rest home in St Pete.

I am constantly torn about being back there. My folks are old. But I'm not in with the Tom White blues clique so all he gigs I get are scraps left over from his bands and other stuff I can drum up on my own. Not enough. I was fittin to move to Homosassa last year but the buyer backed out of my house sale a day before my moving containers arrived so I took it as a sign and just said heck with it and stayed near Austin. First time in my life I'm paralyzed with indecision about a move. I used to just go rent a truck and do it. Owning a nice piece of land and home has complicated things. Strange.

User Info Menu

St Pete for about a dozen years over the course of 20 years in between multiple Texas and Tennessee moves. My parents are retired there. Sister lives there. Other sister lives in Tallahassee. Daughter lives there. Cousin lives there now. Not from there but probably the closest thing to a home I ever had. My wife is a nurse and musician. She worked about every rest home in St Pete.

I am constantly torn about being back there. My folks are old. But I'm not in with the Tom White blues clique so all he gigs I get are scraps left over from his bands and other stuff I can drum up on my own. Not enough. I was fittin to move to Homosassa last year but the buyer backed out of my house sale a day before my moving containers arrived so I took it as a sign and just said heck with it and stayed near Austin. First time in my life I'm paralyzed with indecision about a move. I used to just go rent a truck and do it. Owning a nice piece of land and home has complicated things. Strange.
    I've always said that 'if you don't play electric blues or tiki bar/Buffett, you don't play'. Back in the 70s and early 80s during the Urban Cowboy days, the two good country bands in town worked all we wanted and backed some of the CMHOF people who came through. I sold my pedal steel about 4 years ago due to lack of work - I couldn't afford to have the $$$ tied up in something that expensive that wasn't earning it's keep. Even the theater productions seem to be using tracks nowadays. Definitely a musical black hole and I don't see it getting any better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    I've always said that 'if you don't play electric blues or tiki bar/Buffett, you don't play'. Back in the 70s and early 80s during the Urban Cowboy days, the two good country bands in town worked all we wanted and backed some of the CMHOF people who came through. I sold my pedal steel about 4 years ago due to lack of work - I couldn't afford to have the $$$ tied up in something that expensive that wasn't earning it's keep. Even the theater productions seem to be using tracks nowadays. Definitely a musical black hole and I don't see it getting any better.

I know life long locals who said the whole Tampa area took a huge hit musically post 80's-90's. I didn't get there til '03. For whatever reason I know a lot of heavy metal guys there, and it is the same deal for them. The rehearsal studio I used to hit weekly when I didn't have gigs was all metal guys. We were the only non metal act that used that studio. That seems to be their last refuge because there are very few gigs for them anymore. Tampa Bay used to be a center for metal music.

I had a jazz book when I was a student, Chord Concepts by Ted Shumate. A jazz guitarist. He used to have a residency at the Hurricane on St. Pete Beach in the 80's. So there was a lot of stuff happening, even on the beaches. It's all gone. Pass-a-Grille is as dead as a door nail these days. A rich neighborhood. Now they want a bunch of money to even park down there.

I can't believe you had to sell your steel due to lack of work. Florida, you can go from cosmopolitan to the most redneck area ever in about an hours drive. I would've thought a good steel player would stay busy especially since there aren't many steel players to begin with. That's disappointing to hear.

User Info Menu

I know life long locals who said the whole Tampa area took a huge hit musically post 80's-90's. I didn't get there til '03. For whatever reason I know a lot of heavy metal guys there, and it is the same deal for them. The rehearsal studio I used to hit weekly when I didn't have gigs was all metal guys. We were the only non metal act that used that studio. That seems to be their last refuge because there are very few gigs for them anymore. Tampa Bay used to be a center for metal music.

I had a jazz book when I was a student, Chord Concepts by Ted Shumate. A jazz guitarist. He used to have a residency at the Hurricane on St. Pete Beach in the 80's. So there was a lot of stuff happening, even on the beaches. It's all gone. Pass-a-Grille is as dead as a door nail these days. A rich neighborhood. Now they want a bunch of money to even park down there.

I can't believe you had to sell your steel due to lack of work. Florida, you can go from cosmopolitan to the most redneck area ever in about an hours drive. I would've thought a good steel player would stay busy especially since there aren't many steel players to begin with. That's disappointing to hear.
    What killed the scene?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett
    What killed the scene?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think part of it, in some places, was that they started making the bars quit serving early - sometimes at midnight. No point in the band playing because people started leaving. In the 70's and 80's, we played 5 sets a night (9-2) with 15 minute breaks with a packed house til the end. In the early 80's I played bass in a classic rock/country trio at the Hyatt House hotel lounge in Sarasota, 5 nights a week from, I think 8-1 and, if there was no one in the bar, we didn't have to play - just go sit in the lobby until someone showed up, then we'd go play until they left - really weird but it paid well. Most of my playing after that was local and Equity theater productions: "Evita", "Jesus Christ Superstar", "Little Shop of Horrors", "Best Little Whorehouse In Texas", and, probably, a total of close to 500 performances of "Always, Patsy Cline" over the years. Theater is probably the most most enjoyable thing I've done in 50+ years of professional playing - no drunks to deal with and all the players have been first class. Not the most creatively fulfilling thing but after every show, you can reflect back and say, "I nailed it". Even theaters are starting to use tracks now.....sad.

User Info Menu

Srv was very upset when he found out bb king was his opener. Why do you think that was?
    No doubt. I listened to the recommended live album by Buddy noted above.
    I get the authenticity and excitement of the live show, but it reminded me of Live at the Regal, so had to put that on and relisten. Not saying anyone is “better than”, as that’s not fair or necessary, but to my ears, I much prefer BB’s articulation, precision, phrasing, singing… I think he might be who most people have in mind when they say the can hear it in one note.

Saw BB live around ‘73 in a college gym, no stage, playing through a backline 50 (100?) watt Marshall half stack. Life changing moment. Same with seeing Ford, Holdsworth, Metheny, Bernstein, Landau, Corea, Hancock, Beck, EJ all live for the first time. Maybe takes more than one note, but all powerful and unique. Always wonderful when someone can really grab your ears and snap your neck around, demanding your attention… and it’s all the same 12 notes. Amazing.

User Info Menu

Bluegrass