BB King - just WOW...
    Down to my knees with this one!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

joaopaz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    No Blues - Wes
    Stompin' at the Savoy - Jim Hall
    Django - Grant Green
    Grant Green - Django (only kidding - I'm a fan of so many of his solos, but Danse Norwegienne on electric is gorgeous)
    Topsy/Swing to Bop - Charlie Christian

Hmmm, moderns?

Well Mike Moreno is brilliant, but nothing he has recorded matches up to his live stuff. IMO
    I'd say the same about Kurt actually, but I actually prefer Moreno's playing.
    'Jazz' - Lage Lund - the perfect line, hard to believe its improvised.
    Can't think of a Peter B one off the top of my head, they're all great, but I'll think of one...
    Nicolette - Bill Frisell

And that's just the jazz guitar players.
    Great crop you have there Actually many of those are favorites of mine, too... Savoy and Django!

Between Mike Moreno and Kurt Rosenwinkel that would be a tough choice... I have a thing for Kurt, since his Use Of Light is one of my favorite tunes - don't know MM as well, but really dig some of his albums, super creative guy and hard to "catalog".

joaopaz Guest
    Guys, wonderful entries on this thread. I'm having a blast listening and discovering to a lot of new music...

As I suspected, keeping the first post updated will be a daunting task ... the spotify playlist is easy as long as everything's available - most is. Your favorite jazz/blues guitar solos on Spotify

Anyone interested in converting these selections to a YT playlist, as well?

User Info Menu

A bit of showmanship here of course... I usually do not like tributes like that...

But here it's fun to hear absolutely different players one by one... (GB is just killing it... what a player what a showman what a singer... Clapton is ok of course.. but he looks like 'a whiter shade of pale' here really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    George Benson @3:15.

That George Benson...what a player.

At around 4:08 there are some nice licks to steal if you want to turn up the heat a little.

User Info Menu

Of the contemporary players, Oz Noy's jazz/blues playing is my favorite.

User Info Menu

At the 3:10 mark in this clip, you can see that B.B. has broken a string in mid-solo. A roadie hands him a new string, and the King of the Blues changes the string onstage while continuing to perform the song. That's got to count for something.