The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Hey all,

I've been working on learning Miss Jones for a couple of months now, but that pesky middle section is still causing me trouble. I can play the melody, I can play the chords, my improvisation just isn't very reliable over the middle section. I'm feeling a little stuck.

Any advice is much appreciated!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One thing you can do as an exercise, this may help your ear, or at least maybe teach you to have some fun with navigation.

Make an exercise around the II chord and the I chord. You can make melodies that create an idea in the II and flow down two frets to where the I chord. Right? This can give you a melodic workout on this alone.

Then after the I, drop down two frets, make that a II and do it again.

That's like doing an A minor, G major, F minor, Eb major, Db minor, ...

After that, the II can be part of a II V group for some added interest.

This is not all of what's happening in the bridge but getting this exercise in your ear can help you anticipate what's coming up. Don't forget that you can move your roots to a different string anytime you want to.

Does this make any sense? This will help you get the sound of this progression in your ear. Work on interesting ideas and take your time.

Hope you find this amusing
    David

User Info Menu

Im interested in this too
    Any good simplifications on the bridge of HYMMJ

Key centers ...
    Bb
    Gb
    D
    Gb innit ?

How do you guys simplify that ....or don't you

User Info Menu

I've played this song for quite a few years and always have to remind myself of the pattern of the bridge before playing it.

I don't have any trouble remembering the 2/5/1 into the Bb; that part just seems to come naturally to my hands.

But then I just try to remember that it's a sequence of three 2/5/1 sections, and I think of the three starting minor chords, that is, Ab, E and then back to Ab.

It's not too hard to remember that the 3rd one is the same as the first so I really only need to remember Abm7 and Em7. So, my shorthand mnemonic before starting is to just remind myself of "Ab, E" (or "Ab, E, Ab")

Others might do it, as pingu suggests, using the key center instead of the iim7 chord; that would certainly work just as well (maybe better for some), YMMV.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    I've played this song for quite a few years and always have to remind myself of the pattern of the bridge before playing it. I don't have any trouble remembering the 2/5/1 into the Bb; that part just seems to come naturally to my hands. But then I just try to remember that it's a sequence of three 2/5/1 sections, and I think of the three starting minor chords, that is, Ab, E and then back to Ab. It's not too hard to remember that the 3rd one is the same as the first so I really only need to remember Abm7 and Em7. So, my shorthand mnemonic before starting is to just remind myself of "Ab, E" (or "Ab, E, Ab")

Others might do it, as pingu suggests, using the key center instead of the iim7 chord; that would certainly work just as well (maybe better for some), YMMV.
    That's cool , yes similar to my method ...
    BUT I'm after some kind of SIMPLE functional
    Analysis ....
    I mean what we gonna do if someone calls HYMMJ in A ? (aaargh hang on a minute there !)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    That's cool , yes similar to my method ...
    BUT I'm after some kind of SIMPLE functional
    Analysis ....
    I mean what we gonna do if someone calls HYMMJ in A ? (aaargh hang on a minute there !)
    I don't know how simple you want to go but do you know your whole tone scale? OK go down the whole tone scale and think of them as roots alternating II and I scales.
    Do this three times beginning with the II V I going to the IV chord.

Next play a II V I a half step above your key A, then your regular II V I.

Recap: You're hitting the bridge. Play a II V I going to the IV chord, continue the whole tone root movement alternating minor and major scales, do this three times.
    Big ending, a turnaround a half step above I and your II V I.

There's the simple functional bridge. If you're not into whole tone scales and II V's, then you've got a lot of memorizing and calculating to do.

David

User Info Menu

Im interested in this too
    Any good simplifications on the bridge of HYMMJ

Key centers ...
    Bb
    Gb
    D
    Gb innit ?

How do you guys simplify that ....or don't you
    The bridge goes Bb Gb D Gb

Bb aug scale: Bb Db Dnat F Gb A

Note it is also the Gb aug and D aug scale.

Hmmm... it's worth trying that once.

dortmundjazzguitar Guest
    it's the giant steps circle. here are some tricks:

original:

Bbj|Abm7 Db7|Gbj|Em7A7|Dj|Abm7Db7|Gbj|Gm7C7|

try:

Bbj|Bj|Gbj|Gj|Dj|Db7|Gbj|C7|

or:

Gm7|Abm7|Ebm7|Em7|F#m7|Abm7|Bbm7|C7|

or:

Bbj|Abm7|Gbj|Em7|Dj|...

basically toy with all the subs (III and VI for I, IV or II for the II-Vs), and come up with symmetries.

User Info Menu

I find for me,when doing a CM of any of the standards from the Great American Song Book is to really learn the lyrics first. Listen to any of these songs,Ella is a good example. accompanied by Joe Pass. Any singer from the early forties onwards will have the lyrics down to a tee. Very often because of this you can hear the changes and soon play them because they are found in so many tunes.

Many of these great ballads have beautiful intros which many of us do not use. Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dortmundjazzguitar

Bbj|Abm7|Gbj|Em7|Dj|...

basically toy with all the subs (III and VI for I, IV or II for the II-Vs), and come up with symmetries.
    Great I like that last one , it seems the simplest
    Geography to me , many thanks!

The melody doesn't give may clues as to
    How to blow over this bridge ....
    (I don't like to to just transpose a motif around
    As suggested by the melody)

I'll be doing some repetitions of this with iRealpro
    Tonight many thanks all and esp Longways who
    Asked the question ...

User Info Menu

I suppose I was hoping for a pivot chord
    Which is diatonic to both Bb and Gb

The closest I can think of is ...

Bb maj , Bb min , Gb maj ,
    (Cos Bb min is 3rd of Gbmaj and can sub)
    Anyone do this ?
    I can't make it sound smooth ATM

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dortmundjazzguitar
    it's the giant steps circle. here are some tricks:

original:

Bbj|Abm7 Db7|Gbj|Em7A7|Dj|Abm7Db7|Gbj|Gm7C7|

try:

Bbj|Bj|Gbj|Gj|Dj|Db7|Gbj|C7|

or:

Gm7|Abm7|Ebm7|Em7|F#m7|Abm7|Bbm7|C7|

or:

Bbj|Abm7|Gbj|Em7|Dj|...

Thanks for this Dortmundjazz ! I hadn't made the Giant Steps connection -- very cool.
    Thanks to all you guys. I am learning much in this thread

User Info Menu

I suppose I was hoping for a pivot chord
    Which is diatonic to both Bb and Gb

The closest I can think of is ...

Bb maj , Bb min , Gb maj ,
    (Cos Bb min is 3rd of Gbmaj and can sub)
    Anyone do this ?
    I can't make it sound smooth ATM
    For one chord in between I'd stick with Db7. Play the BbMaj with a D bass?

User Info Menu

just sing the root progression constantly

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzuki
    I find for me,when doing a CM of any of the standards from the Great American Song Book is to really learn the lyrics first.
    OK, this thread is about HYMMJ. Isn't "You're a girl who understands I'm a man who must be free" a really strange thing to say to someone you've just been introduced to?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Binyomin
    OK, this thread is about HYMMJ. Isn't "You're a girl who understands I'm a man who must be free" a really strange thing to say to someone you've just been introduced to?
    Totally. In fact, I tried that line on my blind date just last night and here are the results...

Any Advice on Have You Met Miss Jones?-0697477c319f1ca2b1a7694a0bb7bd1d-jpg
    Last edited by jasaco; 09-04-2016 at 12:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Longways to Go. Re HYMMJ. Have a look on YouTube as Scot Gormley does a chord analysis of this tune which you will find informative and I use all the time. He has others .

User Info Menu

Just memorize this:
    Attached Images Attached Images