The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 44

User Info Menu

I'm feeling in a bit of mid summer slump these days. Trying to find some inspiration for practice, I tend to focus on expanding repertoire which really means often revising and reviewing songs I know pretty well. So the last couple of days I've been working on my approach to Alfie.

The first issue is choice of key relevant to instrumental versus vocal arrangement. For vocals, the key of A is great for my tenor range. For pure instrumental the key of C is superb for the playability of a chord melody version. For vocals, key of C is a touch of strain on the highest notes in the melody.

Sometimes I work off a Sibelius lead sheet, though I almost always have one out for recording. But this morning I just went from memory as I recorded a rehearsal version of Alfie in C on my Yamaha keyboard synth as a piano voice, single track. Then I practice playing over the piano.

This brings up another issue. The value of creating your own 'back up tracks' to a song for rehearsing or recording. A self taught pianist over the years, I'm finally getting to a point where I can record decent piano or keyboard tracks in real time that stand up as such reasonably. This actually expands the sonic texture of my recordings, which in the past have tended to be done with overdubbing guitar tracks as a "duo". Adding a totally different voice like acoustic piano or vibes just gives a whole different feel to a recording. And it is a lot of fun to do. The only snag is that my Korg recorder is upstairs in my living room while my Yamaha synth is downstairs with my PC desktop. The problem is with my Korg which has been finicky in terms of some internal wiring where my left Master Bus drops out entirely. So I'm loathe to move it physically. The alternative is to move the synth. That may have to be the solution if I want to record a "piano" track. My cheapo Yamaha synth also has only a single 'stereo' out, so it is a mono track output. But passable for rehearsal tracks.

One very effective way I've been working on this song is sitting at the synth keyboard guitar in hand and play through the phrases on both instruments. This practice has a remarkably synergistic effect on both my keyboard and guitar playing. I cannot recommend it more highly as a practice 'tool' or approach.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts or wishes to discuss playing this lovely song as a chord melody tune, let's talk about it. I think it is a great solo guitar vehicle or voice plus solo guitar thing for a guitarist's repertoire.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Burt Bacharach certainly has his legacy of popular musical hits. And his lyricist, Hal David, is a brilliant partner. For some reason I was thinking about comparing Burt to Henry Mancini. Both great composers.

User Info Menu

Growing up we named our dog (a beagle) Alfie after that song. I think that we were looking to him for wisdom we didn't have.

User Info Menu

I've always loved that song and worked out a chord-melody version a few years ago, in C starting with the Hal Leonard Fakebook changes. Beautiful melody, and great chords in 3 distinct sections.

Although it took a while to memorize, it wasn't a real hard song to learn. And it's so pretty!

User Info Menu

I agree with all the comments regarding "Alfie." I learned a chord melody version via the Robert Yelin "Jazz Gems for Solo Guitar" collection, but have since forgotten it. This reminder will encourage me to dust off the cobwebs !
    In the interim, here's a solo treatment by Barney Kessel. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I.

User Info Menu

Quite a lovely version by Barney! That is a great example of the playability in the key of A.

I was just experimenting a bit with the notion of playing it as a bossa nova rhythm. I always worry if that will seem corny or something. I also have limited Korg percussion choices as a click track. Of course one could play this song with a bit of rubato.

User Info Menu

Experimenting with the keys of Bb and G.

User Info Menu

Bill Evans used to play this tune a lot, I think I've got at least 2 versions by him.

User Info Menu

Yes, as I recall he played a beautiful version in A. Of course, that key works great on guitar. But so does Bb, perhaps better, as well as G.

When I want the essence of a song, I always listen to Bill Evans.

Do you play this song, Graham?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Yes, as I recall he played a beautiful version in A. Of course, that key works great on guitar. But so does Bb, perhaps better, as well as G.

When I want the essence of a song, I always listen to Bill Evans.

Do you play this song, Graham?
    No I haven't tackled it yet, but it's one I would like to do.

User Info Menu

Still in this mid-summer slump a bit. But perked up this morning just now with the discovery of a Michael Buble recording of I Wish You Love and I'll Never Smile Again with a solo guitar plus some very sparse instrumentation. I've just played through it once so I'll have to verify the orchestration. I think it is early Buble, but I had never heard it. I was very taken with the guitar and vocal presentation. Got the spirits rising. Another song or two to add to the repertoire. Both songs are in the key of C#.

Trying to find out who the guitarist is.
    Last edited by targuit; 07-31-2016 at 11:00 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm in, I've always wanted to learn this tune.

Dionne Warwick owns this one, for me. I think I'll start with her key, Bb.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 07-31-2016 at 12:00 PM.

User Info Menu

I realize I kind of got off the beaten track with my comments about Buble's version of two other songs unrelated to WAYDTROYLife. But the mysterious thing is that I cannot find on Amazon any recording by Buble of the two songs I mentioned above. I find that a bit odd. I was just trying to find out who was the guitarist. Although it is unrelated to What..Life, I'm going to put up a link.

Again this is more related to my "slump". Trying to get out of it.

User Info Menu

Finally decided on a project for this afternoon - Like Someone in Love by J. Van Heusen and Johnny Burke. Got to find some motivation.

User Info Menu

Cool, let us know how it goes.

I'm plugging away on Alfie. Think I might go with A...I dunno...there's some open string stuff in A I like on acoustic, but if I were playing it on electric, Bb is better...ah, decisions, decisions...

destinytot Guest
    Finally decided on a project for this afternoon - Like Someone in Love by J. Van Heusen and Johnny Burke. Got to find some motivation.
    One of my favourite songs (I do it in A and Eb).

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Cool, let us know how it goes.

I'm plugging away on Alfie. Think I might go with A...I dunno...there's some open string stuff in A I like on acoustic, but if I were playing it on electric, Bb is better...ah, decisions, decisions...
    I expected A (like his Triste), but Earl Klugh plays it in Bb on nylon (nice open E at 0.14 secs):
    Last edited by destinytot; 07-31-2016 at 03:32 PM. Reason: 14 secs

User Info Menu

I am becoming partial to playing Alfie in the key of Bb. Love Earl Klugh's version. I admire his carving out his niche in recorded jazz.

I move along because of inner restlessness. If I can get the time to record this afternoon, I'll be looking at Alfie and What ....Life.

destinytot Guest
    I am becoming partial to playing Alfie in the key of Bb. Love Earl Klugh's version. I admire his carving out his niche in recorded jazz.

I move along because of inner restlessness. If I can get the time to record this afternoon, I'll be looking at Alfie and What ....Life.
    Can't beat nylon for a pretty, introspective sound. Earl Klugh has some of Lenny Breau's independence 'thang' down, and he keeps things light.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Can't beat nylon for a pretty, introspective sound. Earl Klugh has some of Lenny Breau's independence 'thang' down, and he keeps things light.
    He also has that rich, buttery signature sound. I also kind of like his public persona. Seems like a guy you would enjoy having a beer or two with.

User Info Menu

Klugh is woefully underrated since he's done so much "smooth" stuff.

He's the best nylon string jazz standard player out there, by far. Gets no respect, and it's a damn shame.

destinytot Guest
    I am becoming partial to playing Alfie in the key of Bb.
    Now I'm inspired to try it on trumpet!

User Info Menu

I checked out the lyrics to Alfie.

How beautiful they are. I can think of a few politicians and sports figures who could benefit from reading them.

It must be nice to solo to this song with those words in one's head.

User Info Menu

I'm sticking with A, since I'm playing so much acoustic.

Gorgeous song, I'll post a video today or tomorrow. Thanks for starting this thread, Jay.

User Info Menu

Hey, that trumpet playing wasn't half bad, man!