The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 53

User Info Menu

I couldn't help but notice the glaring omission of any Monk tunes....he's one of the bebop architects...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cherokee. Wail.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I couldn't help but notice the glaring omission of any Monk tunes....he's one of the bebop architects...
    Sixteen is by Monk

User Info Menu

Parisian Thoroughfare. Tin Tin Deo. Well You Neednt, Wood n You. Hot House.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Good point.

Straight No Chaser
    In Walked Bud
    Well You Needn't

destinytot Guest
    Stablemates

destinytot Guest
    Minority

destinytot Guest
    Hi-Fly
    Con Alma

User Info Menu

Blue Monk
    Rhythm'a'ning

User Info Menu

Let's not forget the great Jackie McLean:

Dr. Jackle
    Little Melonae

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Cherokee. Wail.
    Cherokee isn't really a head - do you knwo any good heads on it?

Wail I think I already have on my list...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Good point.

Straight No Chaser
    In Walked Bud
    Well You Needn't
    That's quite purposeful... Totally different type of thing in my opinion. But they are great tunes. Epistrophy is a great one...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    That's quite purposeful... Totally different type of thing in my opinion. But they are great tunes. Epistrophy is a great one...
    But I think those 3 are a bit more 'beboppy' than some of Monk's tunes.

User Info Menu

There's a list here with a few more:

List of jazz contrafacts | World Public Library - eBooks | Read eBooks online

User Info Menu

What does that mean? Of course it's a head. Do you mean it's not difficult? I play Cherokee all the time. When I call it I or someone has to play the head.

User Info Menu

What does that mean? Of course it's a head. Do you mean it's not difficult? I play Cherokee all the time. When I call it I or someone has to play the head.
    I guess what Christian meant is that it was written by Ray Noble, rather than being an original 'bebop' tune (which is what he's after). Then again, it was such a favourite of Bird and all the others that it almost qualifies.

User Info Menu

It totally qualifies. KO KO was Cherokee. This was Birds first recording post recording ban. It launched Be Bop to the world. Cherokee perhaps more than any other song defines bop.

Like Gumbo says, where's the Monk, man?....
    A fixture at Minton's.
    The guy wrote "52nd Street Theme" for crying out loud!
    You add Monk's compositions and you'll have 80 bebop tunes!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TommyCorsica2
    Like Gumbo says, where's the Monk, man?....
    A fixture at Minton's.
    The guy wrote "52nd Street Theme" for crying out loud!
    You add Monk's compositions and you'll have 80 bebop tunes!
    I'd rather just list the Monk songbook seperately - there aren't that many of them.

User Info Menu

I'd rather just list the Monk songbook seperately - there aren't that many of them.
    Uh, WHAT???? There's a huge amount of Monk tunes! Round Midnight. I already mention Well You Needn't. Evidence, Rhythm-a-Ning, Blue Monk, Bemsha Swing, I Mean You, Eronel, Pannonica, Ask Me Now, Straight No Chaser. I could go on and on.

User Info Menu

It totally qualifies. KO KO was Cherokee. This was Birds first recording post recording ban. It launched Be Bop to the world. Cherokee perhaps more than any other song defines bop.
    I already know Cherokee. Also, it was written by Ray Noble, not a bopper by any stretch (from my home town though :-))

In any case what I want is heads - things with bop language in.

Saying Cherokee is bebop is to me like saying How High the Moon or All the Things You Are are bebop. Tunes roughly contemporary with the bop era, and associated with, but certainly not only played by boppers.

That's to say - I'd be comfortable playing these tunes on a swing gig for dancers, albeit more at this type of tempo in the case of Cherokee bop heads or anything rhythmically busy like that isn't popular with Lindy Hoppers... They're not really happy even with something as rhythmically straightforward as Tickle Toe, but something with loads of pushes and asymmetrical rhythms like a Parker head - they'd end up tripping over their legs haha.

Here's another *swing* version. (Period musical borderline racism to boot ...)

That said, I do know one swing dance DJ who sticks this on for competition dancers. This I'd love to see:

Ko-ko is too hard so it doesn't count haha... ;-)
    Last edited by christianm77; 03-21-2016 at 02:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Uh, WHAT???? There's a huge amount of Monk tunes! Round Midnight. I already mention Well You Needn't. Evidence, Rhythm-a-Ning, Blue Monk, Bemsha Swing, I Mean You, Eronel, Pannonica, Ask Me Now, Straight No Chaser. I could go on and on.
    Well this site lists 84 (if I counted right)... I remember reading somewhere there were only about 25 of them. Serves me right for believing what I read. I would say probably about 25 in common use....

The Thelonious Monk Compositions

Anyway I feel Monk is so brilliantly unique it's kind of his own thing. I know a few of those already, but didn't list them....

User Info Menu

The originators of Bop were five, in my estimation. One Kenny "Klook" Clark was a drummer. You have Diz, Bud, Monk and Bird. Those are the guys. IF you are talking about Be Bop.

The language they spoke was written in very important songs. Many were contra facts. Some were direct tunes like High High The Moon, ATTYA and Cherokee. I understand. BUT if you are learning bop heads - bop tunes you cannot over look those and not overlook Monk.

I mean do what you want.

User Info Menu

The originators of Bop were five, in my estimation. One Kenny "Klook" Clark was a drummer. You have Diz, Bud, Monk and Bird. Those are the guys. IF you are talking about Be Bop.

The language they spoke was written in very important songs. Many were contra facts. Some were direct tunes like High High The Moon, ATTYA and Cherokee. I understand. BUT if you are learning bop heads - bop tunes you cannot over look those and not overlook Monk.

I mean do what you want.
    Well you have reminded me that I need to learn some more Monk tunes. Evidence and Brilliant Corners should keep me busy.

I often play Epistrophy (with that arrangement with the cool 1/4 triplets from that recording with Milt Jackson.) F**cking nightmare of a tune haha.

User Info Menu

Do I get extra credit for using the word "Bop" in the title?

Boplicity - Miles Davis and I think Gil Evans, really sounds like a Bird tune to me.