The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

bill Evans was an all round player, he grooved hard but he was great at ballads. the album with tony bennett has a lot of ballads and bills playinng is amazing.

As for Miles, he knew how to play long notes...over anything....not.....just......BA...ll..a...D...... s

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

oh yeah, my favorite rendition of stella is this. one of my favorite Miles records, plus his phrasing and sound is great. and I love his solo

Autumn in New York?

Body and Soul?

Honeysuckle Rose?

Three Little Words?

In A Sentimental Mood?

Satin Doll?

User Info Menu

My favourite version of My Funny Valentine is Keith Jarret on "Still live"

My favourite version of My Funny Valentine is Miles Davis on "My Funny Valentine"

Jens

User Info Menu

Oh yeah, Chet Baker, every time. Here he is on muted trumpet, still a beautiful sound (Once Upon A Summertime).

destinytot Guest
    My favourite Misty:

User Info Menu

Moonlight Serenade-Kurt Elling. Fly Me To The Moon-Frank. Just Friends-Pat Martino. Green Dolphin Street-Ahmad Jamal. This is New-Ed Bickert/Lorne Lofsky

User Info Menu

This is my favorite version of "After Hours" (-from the same record that gave us the "Sunny Side of the Street" mentioned above.)

User Info Menu

You Go To My Head

User Info Menu

Ella doing "To Keep My Love Alive." That Lorenz Hart was one witty lyricist.

"Sir Philip played the harp, I cussed the thing.
    I crowned him with the harp to bust the thing.
    And now he plays where harps are just the thing---
    To keep my love alive."

Last edited by MarkRhodes; 03-10-2016 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling

destinytot Guest
    Kenny Burrell's vocals, anyone?

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbennett
    You Go To My Head

I'll - er - leave that line alone.

User Info Menu

Autumn Leaves

User Info Menu

Maybe not a standard, bur certainly a classic, House of the Raising Sun, by Charlie Byrd:

Last edited by eduardosanz; 03-10-2016 at 01:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Julie London, backed by Barney Kessel, doing "I'm In The Mood For Love."

User Info Menu

Blossom Dearie's slow, lullaby-like rendering of "Surrey with the Fringe On Top" is my favorite.

User Info Menu

Not as famous as Bing's version with the Andrews Sisters, but I love the verse of this, so I chose this version by the lyricist himself:

User Info Menu

Nice, concise gem from Howard Roberts. Dig that bridge!

User Info Menu

It may be sacrilege to pick a version of "All Blues" other than the original, but this is mighty fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    It may be sacrilege to pick a version of "All Blues" other than the original, but this is mighty fine.

Sacrilege or not, that is a great rendition, I really like his take on So What.

It's been a while since I've given a listen to Oscar (shame on me) but this thread made me want to dig up this tune.