The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 58 of 58

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Miller
    that's a good observation

in the spirit of that, I am curious what some of you do to maintain the repertoire you have? Learning tunes is learning tunes. but once you learn one, what do you do to keep it?

I used to play a 6 nighter, back when there were such things, and I'd learn new tunes in the afternoon and tell the band leader which ones I learned that day. then he'd call them 3 or 4 times over the course of 9pm to 3am, then keep them in the set list for a few days to give me some reps

I suppose if you can do something similar with your software that would be worthwhile. somebody told me once that the difference between a pro and somebody who just plays is that an amature practices until they get something right, but a pro practices until they can't get it wrong.

so I guess that's why I got in the habit of playing a tune for a while more after I have it together

...and now back to the software discussion
    Part of the reason I'm so keen to learn stuff by ear (including the lyrics if there are any) is because I reckon it's harder to forget them. I still remember a lot of the old stuff I listened to before I could play very well.

I have a lot of the Return of the Brecker Brothers in my aural memory - which is interesting because I couldn't really play when I listened to it loads and certainly wasn't transcribing. I put it on after not having heard it for 20 years, and I could sing along with every head and stop.

Plus all the Beatles stuff I grew up with is still in my ears. But that's much simpler notes wise, of course.

I think that stuff stays with you...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I see a backup program as simply a very rich kind of metronome.
    I think that's a great point!

User Info Menu

As far as the question of how to keep your repertoire in good shape, I try to cycle through my 'sets' that consist of playing through my library of transcriptions I created in Sibelius. The other thing is to record tunes occasionally. I find that recording makes you really commit to your version of a song. Especially if you cannot edit and 'fix it in the mix'.

But I cycle through the songs periodically. Lately (last week or so) I have been rearranging more of my repertoire towards a solo instrumental guitar format, knowing that even songs that I would be inclined to sing along (Moon River, Days of Wine and Roses, etc.) will not be harmed by the editing and should only benefit.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Miller
    I agree completely! these kids today, they get a leg broke and they start complaining

User Info Menu

Oh yes, 'building repetoire' - well we always have this classic:

The New Guide to Harmony with Lego Bricks: Conrad Cork: 9780951579534: Amazon.com: Books

User Info Menu

Mike - Nice tune and quite the sonic palette. The balance is a bit unruly, but the possibilities are evident. Very nice idea. And good vocal. Looks like a cool venue.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Mike - Nice tune and quite the sonic palette. The balance is a bit unruly, but the possibilities are evident. Very nice idea. And good vocal. Looks like a cool venue.
    Thanks, Jay. There's no way that a recording from a mobile phone could capture or convey the experience of being there. Perhaps Sensurround might come close. Or another 'dimension' - the mind boggles:

For me, this project is immensely educational, deeply satisfying and wonderfully therapeutic. The experience of immersion in the sounds is also great inspiration for improvising lines.

Moreover, I think arranging - alone or as a creative collaboration - has to be the ultimate way to not only 'build' but 'inhabit' repertoire.
    Last edited by destinytot; 03-04-2016 at 05:09 AM.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Oh yes, 'building repetoire' - well we always have this classic:

The New Guide to Harmony with Lego Bricks: Conrad Cork: 9780951579534: Amazon.com: Books
    I found this to be an outstanding book, despite the silly nomenclature. I preferred the less-wordy first edition. (I had both, but I gave the latter away - probably a mistake.)

It actually contains a section entitled - er - ​'Building Repertoire'.
    Last edited by destinytot; 03-04-2016 at 08:54 AM.