The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

In the 14th measure there is a A# to be held for 3 beats. The chart says to play a F#o7 but that doesn't work. I need to hit the A# and strum a chord.....Any ideas? The song is in the key of G.....thanks....Dan

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What chart? F#7b9 is usually played there. Maybe you're confusing it with the F#ø7 in the following bar.

F#7b9 works....thanks. It is hand written and difficult to read. In the first measure the note is c# and the chord called for is f#o7. Is that right?....thanks....Dan

User Info Menu

The attachment is an arrangement of The Shadow of Your Smile by Laurindo Almeida. It lacks chord spellings, as you can see. The measure to which you are referring is measure #31(there is an extended intro in C major, then it changes to G). Laurindo's treatment of this measure might be a good solution for your problem. If you wish, I can supply a Finale file. Hope this helps....Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hoggard; 02-28-2016 at 02:58 AM.

Thanks for the arrangement but it is way out of my league. I am trying to arrange it in the 1st position so I can play it....again...thanks.....Dan

User Info Menu

Dan, actually the measure in question is in first position and in the same key as your arrangement. I can put that into TAB for you if you like. Of course, Laurindo uses classical guitar right hand technique and that might be a problem if you use a pick..... Anyway, let me know if I can help...

Thanks, the notation is no problem....just need the correct chords so I can arrange the song in the 1st position. I'm finding that a lot of the charts out there have wrong chords which makes it difficult. It is hard enough with the right chords.....thanks.....Dan

User Info Menu

Here's the iReal chart.
    Attached Images Attached Images The Shadow of Your Smile 1st position-image-jpg 

Fm7 works in the 1st measure!......thanks a million for this chord chart. Now I should be able to come up with something....Dan

User Info Menu

Dan, I've heard you play, and you're definitely good enough to break from 1st position. If anything, you're making some things more difficult.

Thanks for your vote of confidence and I do sometimes play out of the 1st position when I can. I am actually having fun with the struggle to arrange these songs in the 1st position and thanks to the guys at the forum I am learning a lot....Dan

Thanks for your help. I am also trying to arrange Tenderly in the key of G. Would you have the chord chart for that....Thanks a lot....Dan

User Info Menu

Well it just happens I do!
    Attached Images Attached Images The Shadow of Your Smile 1st position-image-jpg 

User Info Menu

If you are interested in the chart in G, I converted it to G in iRealPro and saved it out as a PDF:

Tenderly-G.pdf

BTW iRealPro is a fantastic program and not very expensive at all. It runs on most tablets and smart phones. I know it has a version for Mac desktop/laptops; don't know about windows, but likely it does.

Thanks for that. Each chart that I have looked at is different....not easy this arranging business.....Dan

Thanks Lawson. Sometimes I make mistakes transposing keys and this should help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdan
    Thanks for that. Each chart that I have looked at is different....not easy this arranging business.....Dan
    It's rare to find substantive difference in the harmonic concept, though the key might be different. A lot of chords are actually virtually the "same" but the arranger names them differently according to their harmonic concept.

For example, the C9 chord (C E G Bb D) "contains" the Em7b5 (E, G,Bb D), and if you read it from the G in the bass on the 6th string, you can call it a Gm6 (G Bb D E) or, if you reckon the C in it, Gm6/11. Those don't amount to a very great difference, but reflect how the arranger sees the chord sequence working.

Then the C9 could also be a substitution. C9 can sub for Gb7 (Gb Bb Db E) (tritone or b5 sub principle; note they share Bb and E, or the 3rd and 7th of each chord).

This is why we don't obsess too much over "root." As long as your bass line movement is coherent, it doesn't have to be the root of the chord. I often like to "reduce" the chord sequence to the most basic chords, major, minor, dominant, diminished, just to see what the "gross" harmony looks like.

User Info Menu

These iReal gadgets or apps seem to provide good transcriptions in terms of chord changes, but the only thing I'm wondering about is reading them on my LG phone, as LCD or whatever the screen is called is relatively small and tends to go to black quickly to conserve battery life. Probably adjustable in that sense, but how is legibility?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    These iReal gadgets or apps seem to provide good transcriptions in terms of chord changes, but the only thing I'm wondering about is reading them on my LG phone, as LCD or whatever the screen is called is relatively small and tends to go to black quickly to conserve battery life. Probably adjustable in that sense, but how is legibility?
    They'd be hard to read, but their main function isn't to use as sheet music, but to generate backing tracks. You can take a song, choose how many times to repeat, assign a style, select a range of measures to loop, change the key, adjust tempo, etc. and have a pretty decent backing track to practice with.

On my iPhone 5s which has a fairly small screen, I can use it to read but its not comfortable. If I were on an iPad mini I think it'd be fine. I use it on my iPad (full size) and it's wonderful. You have chord charts, not melody lines, btw.

You can use the 1300 built-in standards as well as creating your own chord charts. I don't do much of the latter.

User Info Menu

Are the backing tracks "midi" or are they good quality in terms of tone? By midi I mean that kind of generic game music type quality? Of course, Sibelius is not portable unless on a laptop to my knowledge and I actually run playback and note input through my Yamaha keyboard synth, so the voices are pretty good. On the other hand I don't get good percussion tracks unfortunately. But the midi tracks from Sibelius sound rather good. And you create them yourself. So you get instant feedback on your notation accuracy.

I just have not learned the depths of my phone capabilities. Maybe it is just me, but does anyone else find these phones now do not seem to come with any kind of instruction manual (perhaps it exists in cyberspace)? I don't have an iPad but I could see the value of this thing for gigs if just to have the progressions there for comfort as sheet music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Are the backing tracks "midi" or are they good quality in terms of tone? By midi I mean that kind of generic game music type quality? Of course, Sibelius is not portable unless on a laptop to my knowledge and I actually run playback and note input through my Yamaha keyboard synth, so the voices are pretty good. On the other hand I don't get good percussion tracks unfortunately. But the midi tracks from Sibelius sound rather good. And you create them yourself. So you get instant feedback on your notation accuracy.

I just have not learned the depths of my phone capabilities. Maybe it is just me, but does anyone else find these phones now do not seem to come with any kind of instruction manual (perhaps it exists in cyberspace)? I don't have an iPad but I could see the value of this thing for gigs if just to have the progressions there for comfort as sheet music.
    I am not totally sure what you mean by "midi"--I think they're pretty good.

here's a video of me playing a Jimmy Raney solo over the changes to "Like Someone in Love" with the iRealPro backing tracks in use. Note to play Jimmy Raney correctly, while some say you need the 3 finger method, all agree you need a cigarette stuck to your lower lip.

User Info Menu

LOL! I like the gesture at the end, even if as an ex-smoker, I cringe at the sight of cigarettes. Don't feel bad, Lawson, it is my issue from the past. I can't even watch those commercials for quitting smoking aids. I grew up in an era where the commercials for Jack Parr's show included Lucky Strikes and Camel cigs.

I liked the percussion but not especially enamored of the piano backing track. But hey, when you need a band at five o'clock in the morning that will do.