Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Here's the IReal chart transposed to C.

UNFORGETTABLE in C-img_0002-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jazzdan - I told you I could send you a transcript transposed, but I checked my Sibelius library, and I don't have one at the moment. I can create one for you. I was a bit crestfallen, as I thought I recalled having one ready for you. I feel your frustration.

Your story about playing this tune for a party is touching. Are you married? If that is too personal, don't feel obliged to answer. But I do have a transcript of a gorgeous (to me) song popularized by Nat King Cole. It is one that is relatively easy to play and truly moving to me - Too Young in the key of A.

They try to tell us we're too young.
    Too young to really be in love.
    They say that love's a word, a word we've only heard.
    And can't begin to know the meaning of.

And yet we're not too young to know
    This love will last though years may go.
    And then some day they may recall
    We were not too young at all.

I was just a young boy when I first heard this tune, but it touched me even then. I know it is not Unforgettable, which I can create for you relatively soon, but this one I can e-mail you as an attachment and is truly beautiful.

Would you like this one or want to wait for your original request? The song is in the key of A with melody, lyrics, guitar accompaniment in block chord notation plus the Ama7 type chord indication above the melody staff.

And before the Hounds of the Baskervilles accuse me of deviating from the topic, I am well aware that this is an alternative song suggestion. And I will follow through with the other song arrangement as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdan
    Thanks....You jazz guys all seem to want to turn me into something I am not. I am 67 and love to play my guitar and do so everyday except Saturday. When I learned to play I did so by learning other peoples arrangements. Maybe that was the wrong approach but I've done alright. I played in a restaurant for six years in Vail Colorado reading other peoples arrangements. I now play once a week in a pre school and it seems to bless the children immensely. What could be more rewarding than that? Praise the Lord!

I am going to play at a party this summer in Alaska, God willing and I want to play UNFORGETTABLE. I have been requested to play some slow romantic songs for dancing and what could be more romantic than UNFORGETTABLE. I have been searching for an arrangement that I can play well and that is why I made my appeal on this forum. I contacted Chord Melody Guitar and they don't even have it. Anyway, thanks for the advice....I appreciate it. I'll keep searching....Dan
    You come to a jazz site, and we're going to answer from a jazz perspective. We aren't trying to turn you into anything. We're just responding from the framework of our own playing and of this site. If you asked how to play Unforgettable in a heavy-metal style, we'd be just as unhelpful ;-) because we're jazz players, we do the jazz thing.

Chordmelody.com has an "unforgettable" arrangement done by Stacy McKee. I doubt it's in the 1st position, though.

I admire your effort and commitment, and it sounds like you have achieved a lot of success with your music. I do hope something turns up that you can use. There is a book out there somewhere on jazz arrangements of standards for classical guitarists. I'll see if I can find the title and pass it along. It might help, though "Unforgettable" is not a tune that often shows up in these collections.

User Info Menu

Okay jazzdan, here's an idea.

I think I can bang out a first-position treatment of this tune in G. I don't like C, to be honest, but I'll give it a try in G. Then what I'll do is make a YouTube video talking through how I'm doing it, maybe sketch some specific chord voicing for you, and post the video privately and send you a link.

Two caveats: I'm no master player or arranger, I just bang out basic stuff; and I'm definitely not a music teacher. I teach Bible, archaeology, history, and ancient languages, but I was a conspicuous failure as a guitar teacher Lo these many years ago..

But I like this tune, I'm a little challenged by the idea of doing it in first position, and at home I have a nylon stringed guitar so maybe I can get close to the vibe you're looking for.

We're having a massive blizzard right now, so it might not be until early next week that I get this done, but what do you think of that?

Thanks a million Lawson and I wish you the best during your blizzard. I am a Christian, of the Pentecostal sort and always fascinated by the bible but have a tough time listening to long in the tooth pastors. I would rather be singing and shouting and carrying on. You have been very kind to try and help me and I appreciate it. God bless!....Dan

Thanks for sharing your ideas. I try to learn songs that people recognize because I've noticed that people like to hear songs that they know. I play on the ferry, to and fro to Alaska and I've noticed that I get a much better response than some lady singing the blues about her hard life etc. I try to make people happy when I perform and the old popular rock n roll, folk songs and ballads go over well. I'm sure Unforgettable is going to be great on my classical guitar and I can't wait to get an arrangement that I can play......thanks from bachelor Dan

Thanks for the chord charts I G and C....I appreciate your effort very much....Dan

I managed to post what I have done so far under songs...thanks....Dan