The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 43

User Info Menu

And if so, why?

The Minor pentatonic works very well over much of it to good effect, but surely there's more to it than that.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

well in the truest sense..its a blues..in that it was recorded within 2 months of the mournful passing of mr. porkpie hat ie. lester young...

mingus continually tapped the blues idiom..as well as his gospel roots..seemingly disparate..but tapping much common ground...one seen as music of the gods, and the other the devil

mingus wrote & recorded blues throughout his career

here's one of the most bluesy of covers

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 01-15-2016 at 07:56 PM. Reason: sp

User Info Menu

Yes. Minor blues. He doesn't have solos on the regular chord structure of the song. He goes into minor blues.

He disliked Beck's version. He didn't play the changes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett

barring the royalty checks of course!! haha

cheers

ps- good bit

http://scholarsandrogues.com/2014/05...lives-forever/
    Last edited by neatomic; 01-15-2016 at 05:51 PM. Reason: ps-

User Info Menu

it has the feel of a New Orleans funeral dirge..the changes may have the pegs of a blues but I feel it is more of the "formal" musical celebration that is traditional in New Orleans bands on the way to the cemetery ...it is played slowly and in a low key .. I think that is why Mingus had the changes different from the tune itself..to retain that flavor
    Last edited by wolflen; 01-15-2016 at 08:58 PM.

User Info Menu

as i felt..a "mournful" blues!!!...right from someone who was there-here's john handy- via John Handy Talks With Night Lights: Part 2 | Night Lights Classic Jazz - WFIU Public Radio

DBJ: I wanted to ask you about “Goodbye Porkpie Hat.” How did that composition and recording come about?
    JH: Oh, it’s very interesting. We were working at the Half Note, and we were on the bandstand when we got the news that Lester Young had died. Well, you know, it was very sad news, and Mingus started to play a very slow, mournful blues in C minor…very slow…and he had me play first, and he just kept goading me to play longer and longer, and so I played a long time on it before anybody else did, so… I believe we took a break and, you know, we were just saddened and walked off for quite awhile. And we were recording within a day or two, and he came up with that melody…and I think we actually had it on the bandstand, and it was in a totally different key. It was in E flat minor. And he had written these very complicated changes that were nothing like most blues (laughs) or any kind of tune that anybody had ever played. It was totally unique to that particular composition. And since he never gave us the chords to anything, it didn’t really matter, because you had to, kind of had to go for yourself no matter what. What he had written, if you didn’t hear it, you didn’t get it right, it was recorded that way, if it wasn’t right! (Laughs) So, luckily what he did on the recording is they played straight minor blues, you know, more traditional, something that we were all used to. That saved me, and it saved the tune.

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 01-15-2016 at 10:09 PM.

User Info Menu

I know Beck's version well, but nothing beats the original (not even close).

It has to be one of the most laid back and 'sit back and melt into your sofa' tunes I've ever heard.

Never really found it to be a funeral dirge... Poignant, but not necessairily melancholy (at least, not to my ears).

If anything, I've always thought of it as a 'blues ballad'.

User Info Menu

Beck's version is my personal favorite and one of my absolute favorites to play. Unfortunately just about every time I've heard him play it live, he's either chopping it off into another tune (Blues for Nadia...perhaps?) and/or he's playing like he's late for an appointment...rushing through...not letting notes ring...leaving out the spaces. I dunno...he's probably the player most responsible for my picking up the guitar, and I love a lot of his work. Just wish he'd slow down and feel it...you know? Get his tasty back. Maybe it's just me. I have not influenced anyone, so...guess I'll leave a little space now.
    Sorry...don't want to turn your thread into a Jeff Beck discussion...I just dig the he** outa that tune. It got me thinking.
    Last edited by jbear; 01-16-2016 at 12:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Its cool but like Mingus I'm not all that fond of Beck's version either. I'm pretty married to Mingus' with John Handy.

User Info Menu

I like both versions.

User Info Menu

I find it cool to no end that there are so many ways to make a tune happen. That's one of the things that I dig the most about music.

User Info Menu

Don't get me wrong; I like Beck's version, but the original is still my favourite

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Illuin
    Don't get me wrong; I like Beck's version, but the original is still my favourite
    You articulated my point of view so much better than I did.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Illuin
    I know Beck's version well, but nothing beats the original (not even close).

It has to be one of the most laid back and 'sit back and melt into your sofa' tunes I've ever heard.

Never really found it to be a funeral dirge... Poignant, but not necessairily melancholy (at least, not to my ears).

If anything, I've always thought of it as a 'blues ballad'.
    its minor, and 12 bars. the head changes don't look like blues changes to me.

my fake book calls it a ballad, although that doesn't mean too much. Mingus going into blues changes for the solos puts things into a different perspective however, per Henry's point. builds the case for calling it a kind of minor blues.
    Last edited by fumblefingers; 01-16-2016 at 11:34 AM.

User Info Menu

It is a Tombeau over and above anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Yes. Minor blues. He doesn't have solos on the regular chord structure of the song. He goes into minor blues.

FWIW, I remember reading in a JB interview that Mingus called him and told him he liked his version very much, congratulated him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    FWIW, I remember reading in a JB interview that Mingus called him and told him he liked his version very much, congratulated him.
    I'm sure he did. And he might've been genuine. Maybe he just didn't like that he didn't play the changes. I've already said too much.
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 01-16-2016 at 12:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Jeff Beck's version got me into jazz, so I'll always have a soft spot for it. But when I heard Mingus' original version, that was something else - completely blew me away!

Ian Carr makes the case for it as a blues in his Mingus biography. But a blues taken to the limit with brilliant substitute chords.

User Info Menu

I thought that Charles Mingus wrote Jeff beck a letter on how much he liked his version of Pork Pie Hat? Anyway I love it, and hat's off to Mr Beck for breaking the rules as his per usual! Jeff beck emulates the sax, trumpet, even voice closer than any other guitarist I've ever heard. And most importantly he does it w/ swagger!

User Info Menu

All this talk of JB has prompted me to listen to stick on Blow by Blow... What an album.

User Info Menu

I think it is a blues, minor tonality.

User Info Menu

The solo changes
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 01-17-2016 at 12:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Just for discussion a couple more. Love Brecker's playing.

And from this album.

https://play.spotify.com/album/5oeGSoO09uHz73wc7G6MLI

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    this was the inspiration for becks cover..not mingus

john mclaughlin

cheers
    So I've heard.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    this was the inspiration for becks cover..not mingus

john mclaughlin
    Fair enough, but that's kind of silly. Its a Mingus tune. Of course guitar players tend to be guitar centric.

User Info Menu

McLaughlin. He overdubbed himself.