The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

What are some of your favorite tunes for the season? (Jazz or otherwise) Anyone have their own arrangements of classics?

I've been 'shedding piano a bit lately, actually more than guitar. (Part of the reason I haven't posted much). I've been playing "easy piano" and method book type little pieces. Over the last month I've been playing some little easy arrangements of X-mas tunes. Anyway, I've always dug Vince Guaraldi's classic "Christmas Time is Here" and am currently working on an easy piano arrangement. Might try to work it out on guitar some time as well.

Just a really pretty tune that reminds me of being a kid and watching "Charlie Brown Christmas" with my family.

Here's the original:

And a couple of guitar versions:

Last edited by MattC; 12-08-2015 at 09:27 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Modern Jazz Quartet " England's Carol ".

Enjoy it in good health with best wishes to you and yours !

Dennis

User Info Menu

One funky and one Jazzin'

Never heard of that Tivon Pennicott guy before, but that's pretty hip. One thing I like about holiday tunes is that although they might seem cliched (and obviously overplayed), they are loaded with classic harmonic and melodic vocabulary. I feel like stuff that I've been hearing since I was a little kid is so burned into my brain. Figuring something like that out on guitar, piano of just trying to solfege out a melody seems to help my ear and general musicianship. I once actually spent some time "solfeging" out 12 Days of X-mas away from either instrument and found it a cool exercise. Forces you to concentrate on not only the melodic figures themselves, but the unusual arrangement of them.

Now coming up with hip, fresh ways to actually perform the tunes (like for instance Pennicott does above) is a whole other thing.
    Last edited by MattC; 12-09-2015 at 08:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Just couldn't leave this one unmentioned.......

James Taylor does Joni Mitchell's 'The River'.....

User Info Menu

I like all of Joe Pass' Six String Santa. Here's "Let It Snow"

Nice playing from John Pisano on this, as well. A good variety of settings from solo to quartet.

I've even played in after the holiday season. And bought, first, a cassette, and years later, a CD.

User Info Menu

The big band I'm in just got this Paul Murtha chart this season for a Guaraldi Charlie Brown Xmas medley. The band's been enjoying it, and of course the holiday audiences have been loving it.

Cool stuff, guys. On the big band chart, I like the guitar part on "Linus and Lucy."

User Info Menu

"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" is a lovely song for solo guitar. I also enjoy "Christmas Time is Here". (first chord: 13thumb X 12 12 13 12 )

I seem to be attracted to the more somber tunes....

User Info Menu

I was asked to back up 2 singers on the Donny Hathaway version of 'This Christmas.' It's a very cool tune for chords and fills. I pretty much spent the day with it.

User Info Menu

Mel Torme's , "Christmas Song" which lends itself to a chord-melody treatment for one. "I'll Be Home For Christmas" by Elvis or Frank Sinatra and with regard Sinatra , check out his "Jingle Bells" and "The Christmas Waltz." Brook Benton's ,
    "This Time Of The Year" and the seminal doo-wop group, The Ravens with "Silent Night."

Here's wishing all members and staff the very best seasonal greetings for Christmas and The New Year !

User Info Menu

Sorry about that - a senior moment, no doubt ! Here's Frank with , "The Christmas Waltz."

User Info Menu

Goes without saying, every member of the forum should be playing Kenny Burrell's "Have Yourself a Soulful Little Christmas". Here's a playlist for the complete album,

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...UhXcANaPUuPtVJ

And this clip brings a smile to my face every time....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    The Modern Jazz Quartet " England's Carol ".

Enjoy it in good health with best wishes to you and yours !

Dennis
    Thank you, Dennis! That was a treat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Thank you, Dennis! That was a treat.

Thanks, Mark - Glad you liked it !

Dennis

User Info Menu

For the last 2 weeks my ten year old learning the drums has had these on repeat. Dam he has good taste:

https://youtu.be/RlduJjJg2dY

User Info Menu

this one is not coming up? Little Boy Santa Forgot, Nat King Cole

User Info Menu

Long time fan of Aaron Neville and this one has great message.

User Info Menu

Oh, I thought you meant Billie!

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    Oh, I thought you meant Billie!
    No, but she is also one of my favorite holidays.

Lots of cool stuff posted here. Feel free to post your own versions of this stuff as well.

Here's my very simple little take on a classic. Sorry about the lousy sound. Just recorded quickly and roughly using Photo Booth on my Mac.

Last edited by MattC; 12-22-2015 at 10:34 PM.