where do you guys play Billies Bounce
    in F ?
    i used to play it in 8th posn starting
    on the sixth string
    but trying it at the 3rd pos now 5th string

sounds a bit clearer I think

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah just feels right at the 10th for me.. some of the lines go up to a G (high E 15th fret) so even with a cutaway it is an awkward fit.

User Info Menu

I play it right down at the first fret. Probably came from hearing George Benson's version, maybe also hearing Dexter Gordon on tenor sax. I kind of like it down low like that.

User Info Menu

1st position for me too. I referenced the Andres Orberg version on youtube a lot when I learned it and he plays it 1st position too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dmorash
    1st position for me too. I referenced the Andres Orberg version on youtube a lot when I learned it and he plays it 1st position too.
    What video? I found a couple where he is playing an octave below but still around the 6th position

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    What video? I found a couple where he is playing an octave below but still around the 6th position

I was mistaken . He does play it starting in the 6th position. I must have been thinking of the vamp he starts with. It's the live version with the good video quality.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I play it right down at the first fret. Probably came from hearing George Benson's version, maybe also hearing Dexter Gordon on tenor sax. I kind of like it down low like that.
    Yeah, I too playing it at the first position. At least, that's where I start it. It then needs to move between the first, second and third position for the articulation I want to voice. I incorporate quite a bit of slurs . . slides, hammer-0ns and pull-offs, to try getting as horn like as possible for the head.

thanks guys ....

User Info Menu

I learned it down low but often play it around the 10th position now. That's the more "alto" area on my guitar.

User Info Menu

5th position for me. starting on the pinky.

User Info Menu

I play this one round the first three frets and without any chords pure melody... like this tune like that...

User Info Menu

I asked Coryell about this one. He replied play it one octave low and then one high. I think the best position is what works for you, but being able to play the head in two different octaves is pretty standard for a lot of jazz.

User Info Menu

In this recording,
    1st chorus I played the first note C at the 8th fret 6tth string using ring finger, index position on the 6th fret, shifting position to 5th than 3rd ....
    2nd chorus, octave up, from note C at the 5th fret 3rd string using the middle, index on the 4th, to 6th, 10th ...

VladanMovies @ Billies Bounce

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    I asked Coryell about this one. He replied play it one octave low and then one high. I think the best position is what works for you, but being able to play the head in two different octaves is pretty standard for a lot of jazz.
    I like that approach. As you say, it's good to play the head of a blues two ways, or at least be able to when it sounds right. I think this is one of those cases.

User Info Menu

I recall Jimmy Raney starting it in the upper octave, and then dropping it down when the line rises in bars 5+. That's another option.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    I recall Jimmy Raney starting it in the upper octave, and then dropping it down when the line rises in bars 5+. That's another option.
    Thanks for the reference: I didn't know I was in such company trying something like that!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I like that bit where Kirk Lightsey plays the theme a tritone away from Raney (at least I think it's a tritone). I have a tape of Louis Stewart doing this too. I wonder who did it first? sounds like a bit of a tradition perhaps, though I don't know any other examples.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I love everything about this version. His first chorus in particular is just perfection... so simple, but it just seems like those notes are the ones that are supposed​ to go there.