The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 72 of 72

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Feldman
    “Blues is to jazz what yeast is to bread. Without it, it’s flat.” - Carmen McRae
    Just listened to her rendition of You Took Advantage of Me. Love it

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Lol. Blues is easy?
    …………..
    Y'all crack me up. If the blues is easy, how come 9 out of 10 folks I hear try and play it suck?
    The assumption that playing the blues is easy may stem from the multitudinous articles that have been published in various guitar magazines over the past 45 or so years that assert that all one needs to play blues with authority is the pentatonic scale. People read things like this and make the often incorrect assumption that the writer is some kind of expert just because his article was published and don't take the time to actually listen to real blues recordings.

From pre-war country blues to swing blues to post-war electric urban blues to bop blues, the blues is the wellspring that flows into virtually every other style of American music.

A good blues solo is not just a bunch of unrelated pentatonic licks string together. A good blues solo has form and logic just as any good music does. The best blues musicians have always known this.

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen

WARNING::: DONT BURN YOUR GUITAR--the link below is a kid (about 14yrs old) playing "parker" changes (donna lee)
    Sorry, wolflen but Donna Lee isn't Parker Changes. It's based on the changes to Back Home in Indiana which is definitely not a blues. Parker Changes are the changes Bird used in Blues for Alice and Confirmation. Toots Theileman's Bluesette also uses Parker Changes.

Regards,
    Jerome

User Info Menu

It seems as though our culture (The USA) has left the blues behind. It used to be heard more heavily in our popular music. Without that musical backdrop I wonder if it makes the Blues harder to comprehend?

User Info Menu

Some old blues, CC with BG (and IIRC, Count Basie on piano):
    "Gone With What Wind"

I love the ensemble riffs at the end. (Mickey Baker would later call these "groove riffs". In either case, they are fun to play and fun to hear.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Feldman
    It seems as though our culture (The USA) has left the blues behind. It used to be heard more heavily in our popular music. Without that musical backdrop I wonder if it makes the Blues harder to comprehend?
    Now they call Black Keys a blues band

User Info Menu

Jazz Blues, as defined by the masters, is, IMHO, the most difficult form to sound great on, simply because the bar has been set so impossibly high over the years. I'd say the best jazz blues soloing is not only more complex than say a good Giant Steps solo, but infinitely more entertaining, on so many levels, emotionally certainly not the least of them!

Try to play 5 choruses on a slow blues, now that's something that always seems to separate wheat from chaff....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nick1994
    I guess there's not much to discuss about it.
    Damn you beat me to the punch!

Endless intellectualisation not really possible here. Basically, you take yer blues and you take yer jazz and you go and make some greasy, happening music.

BTW, Robben Ford opened the jazz rabbit hole for me. What a player!

User Info Menu

I was thinking a slow Jazz Blues, we can start here :

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    I was thinking a slow Jazz Blues, we can start here :
    A slow blues is one the jazz musician's greatest challenges. Because the tempo is slow, the playing must contain great rhythmic variety (-quarter notes, eighths, triplets, sixteenths, maybe some thirty-seconds, mixed in various ways, along with a judicious use of empty space.) That's the technical side. The other side is emotional---you have to convey and sustain a sense of loss / nostalgia / poignancy for a long time. In other words, it has to be lyrical and heartfelt. Running patterns won't cut it. The masters shine at this. The rest of us can sound real bad real fast...

User Info Menu

I think the first slow blues I heard that knocked me out was "Stormy Monday" by the Allman Bros. from the "Fillmore East" album (1971). Duane and Dickie had it going on.
    Well, I'd heard Jimi play "Red House" before this, but I think this is a better tune, and certainly a jazzier one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    A slow blues is one the jazz musician's greatest challenges. Because the tempo is slow, the playing must contain great rhythmic variety (-quarter notes, eighths, triplets, sixteenths, maybe some thirty-seconds, mixed in various ways, along with a judicious use of empty space.) That's the technical side. The other side is emotional---you have to convey and sustain a sense of loss / nostalgia / poignancy for a long time. In other words, it has to be lyrical and heartfelt. Running patterns won't cut it. The masters shine at this. The rest of us can sound real bad real fast...
    Absolutely. It's like what they say about the guitar itself - easy to play - extremely difficult to master! ....

User Info Menu

Here's a clip of Willie Thomas playing a Bb blues with a piano player. (I hoped for a video of Willie's own "Blues For Val," a slow blues in one of his books but I couldn't find a video of him playing it.)

This is a lesson in how to vary basic blues vocabulary---rhythm, dynamics, space, plaintive cries, the whole shmear.

User Info Menu

It would be awesome to hear some forum members post their playing, just 1 or 2 choruses and tips from experienced players.

Was hoping to do this myself on weekend but man I am just drowning in the logistics of kids sport.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    It would be awesome to hear some forum members post their playing, just 1 or 2 choruses and tips from experienced players.

Was hoping to do this myself on weekend but man I am just drowning in the logistics of kids sport.
    If you can, look for "Fast Blues in Ab" posted by Jack Zucker. Also, Reg has a nice instructional Jazz Blues video, but I can't remember the title and don't have time to search for it at the moment (long four days without touching a guitar, sigh).

Of course, these guys are advanced players so maybe you meant us more "common folk" should post . I really hope to do so once I get together three or four nice bars that are true improvisation and not just memorization. It's slowly coming together. For now, you will have only JazzinNY to draw inspiration from on this thread, seeing he had the guts to post his progress for the world to see.

User Info Menu

Clicking on signature links from many forum members, including my self, will give you what you are looking for.

On my channel search for Oily Blues (slow), Devil's ears (slow), Billie's bounce (med), and more, since it's all Blues based.

User Info Menu

Click on my soundcloud link below and look for 'Bb Blues'. (I can't get to soundcloud at the moment for some reason so I can't give a direct link).

Not saying this is great blues playing in terms of 'emotion' or anything, it was really just a quick demo of what my Gibson 175 sounds like recorded direct. But it's an example of a jazz-type blues.

User Info Menu

Thanks grahambop yeah I dig that and loved your version of But Beautiful. Real soulful tone you have.

Vladan I could not find your pieces.

User Info Menu

Thanks grahambop yeah I dig that and loved your version of But Beautiful. Real soulful tone you have.

Vladan I could not find your pieces.
    So, you were lucky, but your luck won't last for long:

Oily Blues
    Devill's Ears/ angel Eyes
    Billie's Bounce

And here's one of the playlists: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...DtELx5zxLYVKBf

Also, if you click on the signature link below, top 20 ... you'll find some ...
    Last edited by Vladan; 06-15-2015 at 08:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool Vladan you are quite an artistic and cheeky fella. The attitude of Billie's Bounce suits the video perfectly, put a smile on my dial.

User Info Menu

Mark...

"This is a lesson in how to vary basic blues vocabulary---rhythm, dynamics, space, plaintive cries, the whole shmear."

Cream Cheese Blues..??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    Mark...

"This is a lesson in how to vary basic blues vocabulary---rhythm, dynamics, space, plaintive cries, the whole shmear."

Cream Cheese Blues..??
    O my. I walked right into that one, didn't I?