Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

coments welcome...:-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

OK.

firstly this was a Montreux summer festival show. they do these "all star jam" things for the fans. it's just for fun. its great to see all the stars on stage at the same time. they even had Coltrane's son play.

But musically:
    1. this version is waaay too laid back for me. Trane played it with fire. McLaughlin played it with fire. others too. this was very tame and polite.

2. too many players on stage. at one point the whole thing falls apart and Santana signals for McLaughlin to play next, and Herbie looks at John and shakes his head as if to say - what a clusterf*ck. lol

but it was OK. after all, it was a night show at a summer festival. the audience was on vacation, full of wine, and relaxed. chalk it up as - meh.

User Info Menu

I really dig the Robert Glasper Experiment version (with Erykah Badu).

"Is it jazz" is a question I always steer away from. "It is what it is," as Coach Bellechick says.

User Info Menu

Man how can that stage hold up under the weight of all those heavies...

User Info Menu

don't worry, Santana was in charge, hehe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pushkar000
    Man how can that stage hold up under the weight of all those heavies...
    true, they have porked up a bit after all these years.

;^)

User Info Menu

I like solos of jazz muscians.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    true, they have porked up a bit after all these years.

;^)
    Haha. Chick is as skinny as a teenager these days, quite a turnaround. Good for him.

Emily's version is even sleepier, but nice.
    Last edited by fumblefingers; 05-10-2015 at 06:05 PM.

User Info Menu

This is how it's done on the guitar. (muddy youtube sound notwithstanding)

Last edited by fumblefingers; 05-10-2015 at 06:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Emilie's version has very nice chord voicing and it is more orginal than JM. Anyway it is from her edu video.I have it on VHS tape I've got t in 1992 in New York. It is solo guitar without a band. I do not understad why JM play in every solo so fast...:-)

User Info Menu

Scof and Joe Locke/great solo/....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Emilie's version has very nice chord voicing and it is more orginal than JM. Anyway it is from her edu video.I have it on VHS tape I've got t in 1992 in New York. It is solo guitar without a band. I do not understad why JM play in every solo so fast...:-)
    really? actually he's fairly restrained in that one, and effectively builds to a climax. that's what a successful soloist is supposed to do.

no offense but, he in turn probably doesn't understand why your audience is so small and why you can't sell any CDs. could it be that he knows something about the audience that you don't?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    really? actually he's fairly restrained in that one, and effectively builds to a climax. that's what a successful soloist is supposed to do.

no offense but, he in turn probably doesn't understand why your audience is so small and why you can't sell any CDs. could it be that he knows something about the audience that you don't?
    Hahaha!
    what audience ? rock a. or jazz a.?
    do you know man how big audience has John Coltrane?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    This is nice, thanks. Going to work on it today!

http://allthingsemily.com/pdfimages/AfroBlue.pdf

User Info Menu

really? actually he's fairly restrained in that one, and effectively builds to a climax. that's what a successful soloist is supposed to do. no offense but, he in turn probably doesn't understand why your audience is so small and why you can't sell any CDs. could it be that he knows something about the audience that you don't?
    Nothing Personal!
    "fumblefingers" do you know this tune? learn it!
    Last edited by kris; 05-13-2015 at 06:26 AM.

User Info Menu

fumblefingers do you know this tune? learn it!
    Hadn't heard this, thanks Kris! Nice playing from Metheny.

User Info Menu

I have to ask fumble, is your real name Richard Head? I've been meaning to ask for a while now.

User Info Menu

Scof and Joe Locke/great solo/....
    that at was kind of meandering. 2 stars.

your assessment?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    I have to ask fumble, is your real name Richard Head? I've been meaning to ask for a while now.
    Nice post. Thank you so much.

Unfortunately for you sweetie, the answer to your question is no. If it were yes, I would be your favorite thing in the whole wide world.

User Info Menu

After you, please upload your version. Show me the benchmark then I'll have something to aim for. no offense taken btw.
    sorry I do not understand all nuances in language. I have to practise my American-English.You are the best. Kris
    Last edited by kris; 05-15-2015 at 10:09 AM.

User Info Menu

neither do i apparently. i thought that Brecker thing was another version of Afro Blue. what are we talking about now?

User Info Menu

Nothing Personal!
    "fumblefingers" do you know this tune? learn it!

yes i've heard it. that was nice outside playing by Metheny and of course, Brecker.

so here is Brecker with McLaughlin. Jazz Jungle. 14 minutes of fury, hehe. Dennis Chambers kicks it off, calling the band to get ready to jam, and beats the life out of his drums for 14 minutes straight.

User Info Menu

yes i've heard it. that was nice outside playing by Metheny and of course, Brecker. so here is Brecker with McLaughlin. Jazz Jungle. 14 minutes of fury, hehe. Dennis Chambers kicks it off, calling the band to get ready to jam, and beats the life out of his drums for 14 minutes straight.
    Do not work on my comp.

User Info Menu

nice groove!