The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 67 of 67

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    But I'll tell ya...just taking one tune every few months and really putting it through the paces...even if not all 12 keys, but maybe multiple keys, moving in some sort of logical pattern...man, that can teach you so much.
    I agree with this. There's an Aebersold volume (#68) that takes six tunes through all 12 keys: Giant Steps, Confirmation, It's You Or No One, All The Things You Are, Stella By Starlight, and an Aebersold original called Down And Up. I don't have this one but it is on my list.... Willie Thomas, who is in his 80s now and has played professionally for decades, says he practices with this every day (!)

I do have the volume (#47) for rhythm changes in all keys. That's a great resource because in addition to the tracks, there's a lot of insight into various ways to approach playing over the changes.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A generous Forum Santa sent me the 2014 version of BIAB for Christmas. It came wrapped and will remain so until Christmas morning---I'm so looking forward to getting started with it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nikoslikos
    Look it up under letter "J" - Jazz Guitar Solos vol 1-4 either in "Program files" or "Program filesX86" if you have 64bit windows
    Thank you nikoslikos, I was able to find part of it in the bb folder under the jgsolo folder. However, all the files from sg001 through sg110 were missing as well as all of the files after sg178. I guess I will give PG music a call to find them for me.

wiz

User Info Menu

who is this man Oliver Gannon who we can thank for these great solos...here he is with FRank Mcpherson Trio.. Getting Sentimental Over You...........

User Info Menu

hi mark,im sure youll have a lot fun exploring the 2014 BIAB...let us know of your experiences...merry xmas

User Info Menu

Oliver Gannon is a great guitarist.
    These GP solos, although written in Midi form are excellent work. If practiced well can give someone all the knowledge needed to solo over any progression in jazz. Regarding I also copy most of its comping material from BiaB real tracks when I study standards I consider Oliver to be the best teacher I can have. .
    There is also 101 Jazz Guitar Phrases , Essential Jazz Guitar vol 1-2 (for comping) and of course Masterclass vol 1-2.
    In my humble opinion apart from an outstanding performer Oliver is a great instructor.

Merry Christmas to all!
    Last edited by nikoslikos; 12-18-2014 at 03:29 AM.

User Info Menu

I believe a dedicated study of the tracks put together by Oliver may possibly help me move to a new level of jazz performance, a truly amazing thought for someone of my age!

wiz

User Info Menu

im a late starter...im never going to master a lot jazz guitar...but these solos have swept me into live playing...no other way i could have done it...ive had amazing feedback and criticism..all positive...i do explain to people my method...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wizard3739
    I believe a dedicated study of the tracks put together by Oliver may possibly help me move to a new level of jazz performance, a truly amazing thought for someone of my age!

wiz
    Coming from you, Wiz, that's quite a recommendation!

User Info Menu

I guess, in my case, dedicated study of any player, or method would do the same. There's no shortage of good players and methods to study
    (All the contrary, there's hyperinflation of superb and excellent, as judged by commonly accepted standards),
    what I'm lacking is dedication.

User Info Menu

Does any one have the original Olive Gannon solos midi, I've seem to lost my CD, the first one was the best it was real standards like blue in Green, Someone to watch over me, etc .... I think there were 50 of them

They took it off market because of they were too cheap to pay copy rights

thanks

Gary

I have tons of midi files if you want to trade.

User Info Menu

first ive heard of these files..id love them too as i like Gannons playing..if you get them can you drop me a message..ill do same if i find them....cheers

You are right the master jazz solos were made by Oliver Gannon to show the different styles of many great smooth jazz guitarist. PG music will not make a batch of realtracks to specifically fit as they are to old and midi file based. You can use real tracks if you open it up in BIAB but it is not perfect and does not fit the pieces perfectly. I use a tone generator called SD-2 from Ketron and the sound is really great ( you also can use real sample now with new versions of BIAB). I practice with a partner and alternate soloing and rhythm and we keep only the piano ( at low volume) bass and drum ( that can be substituted with real drum when you open the master jazz solos in BIAB). To the ear of the average listening bear there is no complaints. We have fun and the listeners are appreciative. I guess if you are good enough to play all the greats you would not need BIAB master jazz solos but for for me, until I am there, master jazz solos will be my go to solos practice base augmented by some Gypsy jazz pieces from the immortal Django.

User Info Menu

absolutely .. theyre good enough for performance...of course the tempos are crazy...i slow them down to suit my pace...what a mix...jim hall ..django,raney etc etc .. it opened up the guitar for me..

User Info Menu

Hello from Greece!

I'll be glad to send "Master Jazz Solos" 1-4 to anyone that wants it.
    Just email me.
    nikosvoutsinas77@gmail.com

Best Regards to all

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nikoslikos
    Hello from Greece!

I'll be glad to send "Master Jazz Solos" 1-4 to anyone that wants it.
    Just email me.
    nikosvoutsinas77@gmail.com

Best Regards to all
    Hello nikos, I would love to have those Master Jazz Solos 1-4 for study.

Thank you for your offer.

email: wizard3739@outlook.com

thanks again, wiz

User Info Menu

There's nothing better than sharing friends..

I hope you're getting the file allright.