The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 67

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonedeaf
    I do not. I can not imagine how you could learn a song without any "look ahead". The other problem is that they only light up when you have the guitar part turned on. I usually turn the guitar part off when I have the basic rhythm down.
    Guess you could leave it on, turning the volume down to zero.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

get the songs they apply to..see my list Above....print them out .from Real BOOKs.... nice to see the solo against the song ... all standards...

User Info Menu

i wish someone else would do a similar list...50 standards .SOLOS.....with a GREAT interface similar to BIAB.........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richard24156
    I use Master jazz guitar solos extensively and find they are great to give my fingers news places to go when I solo.

What i have not been able to do either is to find a way to use realtracks asbacking with the JGSOLO songs in BIAB they are all there in BIAB and you can use them but for some reason no one from PG music has associated some realtrack to them. I wish they would!
    Those solos are great and everyone who hears them when I play some love them. When you listen to them with midi doing the solos they sound dry but when you enter you own feel to those solos they take your interpretation and they sound great. They just need realtrack accompaniments.
    PG music help us please! Is there a way to get some real tracks to accompany the JGSOLOS the master jazz guitar solos.

I am not the only one looking for those I am sure.
    Hello from Greece!
    I am using realtracks to accompany Master Solos. I can't see why you are not able to..
    Just load the corresponding file and choose the style you like. It works fine for me.

By the way does anyone of you guys know the names of the standards for Volume 4?
    From GS179 to Gs228 that is..

Thanks and nice to be here!

Thanks for your answer, i just may not be as a at ease with realtracks as you. Could you give a guy from Montréal some examples ?
    i am using Biab2012 ultra i just find that the ones i tried distract me and i bungle the solos. What do you use for example songs 1 , 12 and 14 ?

User Info Menu

You're welcome Richard and I'll try to be as helpful as I can. (Sorry for my poor English and for mistakes I make using the language..)
    So, I am using 2014 with real tracks almost excursively now. (Previously I've worked with 2013 version)
    First thing I do is I open the Master Jazz Guitar Solo file (for example GS001) from the hard drive directory and I choose a real track "Chording" Style from the dialog in BiaB. If you are familiar with choosing real tracks you may already know that in the selection "best chording" real track you' ll find styles that match the BPM of the original file. The program actually does most of the job for you.
    Then when you have the style loaded you can make the necessary adjustments. Keep in mind that the :melody" channel which caries the Master Solo remains intact as is is written in MIDI info. PG (and the Gannon brothers) have already done the "swing feel" hard job in the Solo's for each and every one of them as they sound as good as possible in time feel. Triplets, Laybacks, etc all in perfect position as I can hear...Terrific software indeed! (One thing not human..when you perform live with other musicians tempo almost always goes up..You start for example at 160 and after 6 minutes of a human band interacting you end up 190!).

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=voxss;388548]BIAB File Name Based on Changes to BIAB Graded Level JAZZ GUITAR SOLOS

Thanks for this list! Very helpful.

User Info Menu

This one is GS014 - How high the moon.

Melody still in MIDI (sounds childish compering to other instruments (real tracks played but humans) but, hey, that what we are here for! To do the job from stiff to swinging! Just have to play and interpret the solo our own unique way I suppose. That's what the software is made for anyway. To guide, provide ideas and utterly be played by real musicians.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by nikoslikos; 12-14-2014 at 08:02 PM.

User Info Menu

i love these solos....just wish they would do another complete set...maybe ill pm oliver gannon..anyone have his email........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxss
    i love these solos....just wish they would do another complete set...maybe ill pm oliver gannon..anyone have his email........
    ogannon@shaw.ca

Not sure I have the ''chording'' that you mention I am using 2012 BIAB Ultra
    But you Have helped me greatly.!

THANK YOU.

I was Using real tracks only as complete band as opposed to a build of individual instruments. You woke me up.

I will now build the arrangements with individual instruments. Question what do you use for ''STRINGS'' ?

Thank you for your guidance nikoslikos have a great day.

Richard

User Info Menu

There's much more to do with real tracks in Biab 2014 and 2015 believe me!
    You won't believe what your ears hearing!
    Glad to help you. Contact me any time for more info (concerning "comping" or "soloing" realtracks!

User Info Menu

thanks Mark i just emailed Oliver......fingers crossed

User Info Menu

Master Jazz Guitar Solos vol 1-4 software includes more than 20 hours of soloing. 228 pieces of music of 6 chorus guitar soloing not to mention the hard work that must be done in both comping to each and every song and some serious chord solos added in our repertoire....
    Lets not forget the Melodies themselves! If one does not know the tune's melody up and down the neck it's a waste of time..It's better to learn 20 tunes in all 12 keys than to learn 200 solos! If Charlie Parker did it and ended up being the musician he was at least we ought to give it a try..
    Assuming that we manage to absorb this enormous amount of material which actually covers the whole jazz mainstream and bebop spectrum ( and have it interpreted our own unique way with jazz tone, dynamics, articulation and last but not least personal feeling and musicality) I just wonder why on earth we need more stuff...
    I reckon by the time I' have managed to seriously practice and absorb the whole software and play some of it with other musicians in live situation ( THE most important thing I am convinced ) I should consider myself as a ready-aim-fire musician.
    Ears will be able to recognize every progression and respond simultaneously...
    So If I may say this to you...You don't need more solos..you need deep and thorough knowledge of these 4 volumes and some ear transcriptions from the masters...

I keep repeating to myself that most of the Master have learned by ear..Listen what you hear, then listen what you play, then listen what you will play before you play it...

Best Regards
    Last edited by nikoslikos; 12-15-2014 at 07:43 PM.

User Info Menu

thanks Mark i just emailed Oliver......fingers crossed
    You're welcome. Let us know what you hear back.

User Info Menu

PG also has a similar series for blues piano. It would be neat to have these reworked for guitar -- they already have everything they need except the guitar tracks.

User Info Menu

So If I may say this to you...You don't need more solos..you need deep and thorough knowledge of these 4 volumes and some ear transcriptions from the masters...
    i have the Johnny Smith transcriptions..ans all the Wes book transcriptions...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nikoslikos
    .It's better to learn 20 tunes in all 12 keys than to learn 200 solos! If Charlie Parker did it and ended up being the musician he was at least we ought to give it a try..
    I wonder about this. Certainly one needs to be able to play the blues and rhythm changes in all 12 keys, but I don't see a lot of value in learning, say, "Misty" or "Autumn Leaves" or "Yardbird Suite" in all 12 keys.

User Info Menu

Mark, it's a different way of thinking that of the "12 keys" studying..The main advantage is that you learn your instrument inside out. If for example you find yourself in a gig or a rehersal where you are called to play Misty in a different key that you have train yourself to , F for example for a woman singer, you can be in a very awkward position... The real problem (and the real beauty in music I believe) hides in situations when you are called to accompany other musicians.
    But then again that is just my opinion

Best Regards

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nikoslikos
    Mark, it's a different way of thinking that of the "12 keys" studying..The main advantage is that you learn your instrument inside out. If for example you find yourself in a gig or a rehersal where you are called to play Misty in a different key that you have train yourself to , F for example for a woman singer, you can be in a very awkward position... The real problem (and the real beauty in music I believe) hides in situations when you are called to accompany other musicians.
    But then again that is just my opinion

Best Regards
    I understand that position, which is why I included "Yardbird Suite" as an example: that tune isn't sung, so there's no vocalist to worry about. I know that people who play with singers have to be able to play things in several keys. (I've done some of this.) But I think if you learn how to transpose, then you know how, and it's not necessary to play every tune in all 12 keys. (I think it's clear that many jazz horn players do NOT do this, which is why so many jazz standards are in horn-friendly keys such as Bb, Eb, Db, and so on, and so few of them are in B!)

I think it's important to be able to transpose but I don't think it that helpful to play everything in all 12 keys. There's so much to work on and only so few hours in a day. For me, playing "Oleo" in G is not a priority (-though I can play rhythm changes in G). I only work on Bird blues in F, C, and Ab, though. ( I could get through them in other keys, but I don't practice, say, "Freight Trane" in B or A....)

But that's just me. I'm not saying you should do things any differently than you are.

User Info Menu

Ι absolutely agree to everything you said! Its impossible to study everything in 12 keys! Too much material.. But in some cases one needs to know how to transpose on the fly.
    An other thing which is neglected from guitarists is comping..Everyone wants to solo and spends all of his practice time to licks, phrases and solos but not accompaniment...Don't you agree that is is a big mistake? Jazz guitar is primarily a rhythm section instrument. It should create and sustain harmony not just execute fast and complex solo lines..

Best Regards
    Last edited by nikoslikos; 12-17-2014 at 01:35 PM.

User Info Menu

It is a lot of work, especially if you have limited time (not a pro player, like most of us, myself included)

But I'll tell ya...just taking one tune every few months and really putting it through the paces...even if not all 12 keys, but maybe multiple keys, moving in some sort of logical pattern...man, that can teach you so much.

User Info Menu

Hey all, I just received and loaded my 2015 BIAB Ultra-Plus pac and can't find the folder in the "bb" that has "PGMusic's Master Jazz Guitar Solos". Has the folder name been changed or is not in my new Ultra-Plus pac?

Wiz

User Info Menu

Look it up under letter "J" - Jazz Guitar Solos vol 1-4 either in "Program files" or "Program filesX86" if you have 64bit windows

User Info Menu

Sorry guys for my poor English... I'am from Greece and not exactly fluent in English...
    Hope you understand..