The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I have a jazz playlist for my toddler. Really, it's for my ears when my wife and I don't have to pacify her with tunes for her age. Some fun tracks:

Straighten Up And Fly Right - Nat King Cole
    Life Is So Peculiar - Louis Armstrong & Louis Jordan
    When The Red, Red Robin Comes Bob Bobbin' Along - Carmen McRae
    Give Me the Simple Life - June Christy
    You Make Me Feel So Young - Frank Sinatra
    Potato Chips - Slim Galliard
    Mumbles - Clark Terry & Oscar Peterson
    Dream A Little Dream of Me - Louis & Ella
    Let's Call The Whole Thing Off - Harry Connick
    Grazing Grass In The Grass - Hugh Masakela and other instrumental odds and ends for the family.

I also like Pick Yourself Up by Diana Krall and need to add that now that I think of it.

Any other suggestions on fun jazz for youngsters?

This reminds me of a great instrumental version of Pure Imagination. I think I need a nice one with jazzed up with lyrics if anyone can think of a cool version.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I teach music during the day to pre K 3 through 8th grade, the little ones absolutely love Louis Armstrong's singing and Louie Prima too.

User Info Menu

The Guitar Album | Jazz for Babies

There's also a sax, trumpet and vibes album as well.

Get 'em started whilst they are young.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshGuitar
    The Guitar Album | Jazz for Babies

There's also a sax, trumpet and vibes album as well.

Get 'em started whilst they are young.
    I could dig having that play in the background...probably nap to it myself

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eddy b.
    I teach music during the day to pre K 3 through 8th grade, the little ones absolutely love Louis Armstrong's singing and Louie Prima too.
    Didn't Louie Prima sing "I wanna be like you" from The Jungle Book?

User Info Menu

There are some very nice arrangements on those albums, the guitarist is pretty damn good too!

User Info Menu

I find that little kids just love it if you play them Eric Dolphy's Gazzelloni. They seem to "get it" better than adults do.

My little girl has hints of Cecil Taylor on the piano...maybe she'll be more hip to Eric Dolphy later.

I like those standards that have a hopeful vibe like Pick Yourself Up or has lyrics about wonderment like Life Is So Peculiar. Fun to have those tunes around for her sing and play someday...by her volition of course.

User Info Menu

Some of the kids favorites from back in the day:
    Ain't Misbehavin'
    All of Me
    Georgia on my Mind
    My son was always interested in spaceflight, so 'Fly Me to the Moon' was his favorite.
    The daughter loved liked My Favorite Things.

I got a lot of quality practice time when they were little. My job was to bathe them every night. I'd put my son in the bath, clean him up really quick, then grab the guitar and play while he splashed in the tub for 20 or 30 minutes. Repeat for the daughter and I'd get almost an hour of good practice time in a room with good acoustics!

User Info Menu

"Dat Dere," by Bobby Timmons. Timmons version is an instrumental. There is however, a version with lyrics sung by Oscar Brown Jr. who also wrote them.
    Last edited by paynow; 04-23-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Oh yeah! I forgot about Blossom Dearie and her witty jazz style. And I need to get a version of "Dat Dere" too. Cool!

User Info Menu

I remember a lot of cartoon theme songs were pretty jazzy, at least when I was a kid. Like pink panther, flinstones, spiderman, and more. What better way to introduce your kids to jazz then pop in some dvds with old cartoons?

User Info Menu

"I Got Rhythm" is very simple with a catchy lyric and is perhaps the most valuable form to have in your bones.

User Info Menu

There is a lot of jazz in the Disney cartoons. In the Aristocats there is a scene in which a jazz band of cats plays "Everybody Wants to be a Cat". It is definately a scene that shows kids what fun jazz can be, complete with racial stereotyping of the Siamese.

What a Wonderful World isn't super jazzy, but it expresses a nice sentiment and is easy to sing along with.

User Info Menu

How about the flintstones ala barney Kessel and Herb Ellis?

User Info Menu

My 3-year old girl likes watching "Little Bill" on tv. Good jazz behind that!

User Info Menu

Our favorites from the realbook include "Inch worm" and "The Rainbow Connection".

User Info Menu

"You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" is crowd pleaser for kids and grownups alike.

User Info Menu

Hi Edward74,

Don't forget "Rubber Ducky" ! As a retiring elementary music teacher, I asked my 5th Graders what song they would like to sing as our last song together..........we sang some pretty hip stuff, but they chose "Ducky" hands down......Go figure !!!!!!!

Regards,

Chip

User Info Menu

Hi, the guitarist done a great job in every attachment. I love to listen some best guitarist: Trey Anastasio, Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Brian Bell (Weezer), Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple), Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), James Burton, Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), Gary Clark Jr.

User Info Menu

I have been told by singing instructors that children have more trouble singing songs in minor keys, so I would think it best to steer clear of them, at least for toddlers.
    Last edited by jster; 12-09-2013 at 10:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Since I replied to this thread my daughter was 3, now she's 4 and she now loves listening to the "Baby Loves Jazz" cds. They are great! They took a number of children's songs (Old McDonald, Alphabet song) etc and jazzed those up. Quality musicians and even fun for parents to listen to! With Duck Ellington and Ella Elephant! ;-)