The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 64

User Info Menu

The new poll was won by- "Fly me to the Moon"

Last edited by Dirk; 01-06-2020 at 04:13 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Tom and Frank, thanks!

This is how I see the tune:
    I see this whole tune as having 1 key center which is C major, The minor 2 - 5 - 1s I view as extensions of the vi (A-) although on these minor progression I would play a more minor type melody.
    I would also note these A7 and the C7 chords because the A7 chord is there to create a tension for the next sequence but does not hint a modulation but outlining these chords will be a good idea to follow this tension in the harmony in the improv

User Info Menu

@Frank... When you provide an alternative explanation for a chord, such as a V/IV for a I7, where are you coming from? Forgive my ignorance on this issue :-)

User Info Menu

Tonyknight,
    I think I can answer that for you. The C7 is the V7 chord in the key of F going to Fmaj7. In this case the Fmaj7 happens to be the IV chord in the key of C thus the C7 chord becomes the V7 of IV within the key of C.
    Last edited by Patriots2006; 01-07-2011 at 02:26 PM.

User Info Menu

You know I thought the song was first called " In other Words "
    and that " fly me to the moon "was just the first line..just my £0.02p..
    But then again...

Cheers Tom

User Info Menu

I alway saw Bm7b5 - E7 as a II-V in A-Minor (Bar 10, 11, ...) and Em7 - A7 as a II - V in the key of D - as a turnaround to the II (Dm7) in the key of C.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oilywrag
    You know I thought the song was first called " In other Words "and that " fly me to the moon "was just the first line...
    True, but it was eventually renamed by the publishers to avoid confusion. It was also originally a waltz if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stackabones
    Next tune should be public domain so we can avoid gettin' sued by the MAN.
    Or just confine ourselves to writing out the chords and not the melody - it's generally agreed that that is safe.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but I'm just trying to look out for the forum.

Peace,
    Kevin

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonyknight
    @Frank... When you provide an alternative explanation for a chord, such as a V/IV for a I7, where are you coming from? Forgive my ignorance on this issue :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriots2006
    Tonyknight,
    I think I can answer that for you. The C7 is the V7 chord in the key of F going to Fmaj7. In this case the Fmaj7 happens to be the IV chord in the key of C thus the C7 chord becomes the V7 of IV within the key of C.
    Hi Tony,

Patriots got it right. I'll expand a bit.

Like I said this alternate Roman Numeral Notation (RN) comes from my music theory classes which were primarily a study of the various periods of classical music (i.e. baroque, classical, romantic, twentieth-century etc.) There are two realated terms that I think are very useful in discribing certain chord functions and I think they're possible more useful for jazz as they come up so often in jazz standards.

Here's a couple excerpts from my theory books glossary, Theory for Todays Musicians, Rallph Turek:

Tonicize, tonicization: A process whereby a chord other than the tonic is caused to sound temporarily like a tonic by being preceded and supported by its own dominant (or dominant seventh chord) or leading-tone chord.

Tonicizing chord group: A group of chords (commonly ii-V) that function most clearly with respect to a secondary tonic and thus enhance it momentary status as a tonic.
    So if we look at m.4 of our chord progression we have, Bm7b5 E7 Am7. The Bm7b5 E7 Am7 is a 'tonicizing chord group', and it can be notated as: (ii - V)/ vi or (ii - V)/Am. That would be pronounced as: two five of six, or, two five of Am.

M.12 of the progression has a 'tonicization', the A7 is a V/ii, pronounced five of two.

I think the advantage of analyzing the chords this way is that it goes to the function of the chords which helps to catagorize that sound in ones mind, and that's good for ones ear, it helps in remembering/hearing and understanding chord progresions, and perhaps helps in understanding how to approoach ones improvisation.

And this song is full of tonicizations and tonicizing chord groups.
    Last edited by fep; 01-09-2011 at 01:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oilywrag
    You know I thought the song was first called " In other Words "and that " fly me to the moon "was just the first line..just my £0.02p..
    Have you heard the song's verse? It's about a person writing a song for someone special. To make sure the intended understands it, the verse ends, "I'll translate as I go along." That's why the singer keeps saying, "in other words..."

User Info Menu

Yeah, a lot of these songs have great verses, and sometimes they even change your understanding of the the chorus.

Peace,
    Kevin

User Info Menu

Patriot and Frank - Thanks very much for that explanation - it's a lot clearer now. When I first looked at it, I just failed to see the modulation (in m.4 to Am).

Given that it seems that this song should be improvisable pretty much throughout using C or A Aeolian, it will be very interesting to see how various improvs develop and what tacks different players take to keep the melodies moving in different directions...

I'm looking forward to this.

I should be able to create an analysis doc shortly as I have done for the ealier songs...

Cheers,
    Tony

User Info Menu

Here's how I might approach comping over Fly me to Cancun... Very straight and hopefully helpful... please ask about anything you see and want to know more... I don't really know this tune... I had to pull a chart... now after going through it... cool I'm good for another ten years. I'll try and record how I might approach soloing... this seems like very few notes kind of solo... Best Reg

User Info Menu

I didn't realise this tune was so easy. Well, at least Reg makes it look that way! Brilliant as usual, Reg, thanks for sharing and explaining even if it will take many months for me to deconstruct every chord there and try then to put them back together! I certainly look forward to your soloing demonstration.

DocBop, Frank, and Sailor are right: let's try to follow Reg's lead and get some work up for critique. I'm aiming for something perhaps tomorrow...

Cheers,
    Tony

User Info Menu

Hey Reg that was awesome, I love your comping and your voicing. do you usually comp with your fingers, pick or a mix

User Info Menu

nice comping reg! As usual, your selection of voicings are straightforward and excellent! I am looking forward to hearing your solo on this tune. This is definately one of my favorite threads to follow.

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jayx123
    Hey Reg that was awesome, I love your comping and your voicing. do you usually comp with your fingers, pick or a mix
    I like to use fingers... but usually have problems with volume at a lot of my gigs. When recording I use both... I don't really plan anything out... I just play... it's kind of like what lead line are you going to try and voice... I have habits... good and bad... Reg

User Info Menu

Well done Frank! Excellent view of Reg's comping! I'm still trying to learn about turning my BIAB stuff into a good PDF file. I think I may be able to upload BIAB backing tracks soon. Everybody, this a great thread and I have gained a lot of new ideas from working with it. Thank you all for sharing on this thread.

wiz

User Info Menu

Here's a sample of playing over Fly Me... it's live and unrehearsed as usual, but I think we'll get more from it that way... this is not the showcase... it's interactive... hope gets us going... I'm arranging a few Big Band charts for a gig at Yoshi's in a month... so I'll play over the piano version tomorrow and try and fake a different style... for more ideas ... best Reg

User Info Menu

Just beautiful Reg...

So much to think about in that interpretation. When you play octaves, which I really like btw, how are you managing it physically? I'm guessing that you are 'sweeping' the notes (with pick or thumb as you use both) and muting the notes in between with your index finger, left hand...

Thanks as always and looking forward to the next one.

Cheers,
    Tony

User Info Menu

Great ideas and great playing as always Reg,thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Tom

User Info Menu

Yeah Reg, very tasty, I was smiling all the way thru, you swing like crazy... I wish I had your album with that on it.

User Info Menu

Another good performance Reg! I really love the easygoing, swinging feel of your music! The octaves were good and the video is very clear and shows the way you use both right & left hand techniques. Thanks for sharing!

wiz

User Info Menu

Okay, I recorded something... clams and all.

I was fiddling around with a chord melody but couldn't get it up to tempo. So, I used my BIAB and slow it down and picked an organ duo - drums and organ, plus me on guitar.

Also, I never developed technique for playing octaves and figure it's about time. So I gave some octaves a try - thumb and all.

FMTTM.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

OK here is my take on it with classical guitar. This is the first time I ever played this tune so didn't come out that good. Used mostly C major, A minor pentatonic/blues and some MM stuff at the end.

fmttm.mp3 - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

I never grow tired of the possibilities Fly Me To The Moon offers and really enjoyed watching the video - inspiring new avenues to explore - A lot to live up to.

Many thanks for posting ...