The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 72

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    mine all seem to revolve around female singers, for some reason...

"feelin' good" and "fever" make me want to physically harm people.

As for instrumental jazz tunes, I'll will admit, "Satin Doll" is pretty tired.
    Haha! That made me chuckle. "fever" gets old QUICK!

I dislike the cheesy song-writer standards (as opposed to the player's standards) that you find Linda Ronstadt, Streisand, Rod Stewart ect singing. These tunes are what the general public's impression of the jazz repetoire is. It's like a lot of people say "What a Wonderful World" is a jazz tune.
    "Fly Me" "Beseme Mucho" are my least favs. I remember my teacher Fred Hamilton telling me once that it's almost a requirement to know "Misty" at all times because old people will inevitably request it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"Can't help lovin 'dat man"....GREAT TUNE...HORRIBLE LYRICS, so just don't play it with a vocalist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    Yeah, I am with you. If I have a least fav, it has to be Feelings. Just brutal for me.
    If you have seen the "Fabulous Baker Brothers" it is pretty hard to not put "Feeling" in the number 1 position on this list. Personally, I feel like I need to have my brain scrubbed everytime I hear it.

User Info Menu

When did "Feelings" become a standard?

User Info Menu

'Summertime' . I heard it too much in my life. it's the equal of Hotel California in jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nomelite
    'Summertime' . I heard it too much in my life. it's the equal of Hotel California in jazz.
    I never thought of that. Good analogy!

User Info Menu

Anything that brings Liza or Barbara to mind.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RoyaleT
    Anything that brings Liza or Barbara to mind.
    You don't mean Ms Streisand surely! A fabulous singer I have always thought, though I wish she would do more jazz stuff.

User Info Menu

agreed. my lazy afternoon was inspired by her recording of it
    Michael Coppola Return Of The Hydra CD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hydra
    agreed. my lazy afternoon was inspired by her recording of it
    Michael Coppola Return Of The Hydra CD
    Wow! - that's you?? Strangely, I was watching you on YouTube only a few days ago (as well as some Barbara Streisand stuff!). How do you tune the 9-string guitars - it looks to be a non-linear way as far as I can see, but very interesting, and you make some fantastic music with it.

User Info Menu

Yes, THAT Barbara. Her style grates me, despite her being given a very fine voice.

User Info Menu

thanks meggy. yes streisand is a show singer...not my favorite style,in fact grates me as well, but she is undeniably great and that particular tune is an awesome work by her.
    check my website for 9 string tuning
    9string.com

User Info Menu

My Funny Valentine.... by far my least favorite standard.

what do singers always think that if they do something with a backbeat it makes it "cool" I can't tell you how many times I've heard this...

"let's do my funny valentine, but like... Funky."

It makes me throw up a little every time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timscarey
    My Funny Valentine.... by far my least favorite standard.

what do singers always think that if they do something with a backbeat it makes it "cool" I can't tell you how many times I've heard this...

"let's do my funny valentine, but like... Funky."

It makes me throw up a little every time.
    lol............ all the time.

User Info Menu

Holy cow, I'm not sure if I have a least favorite standard at this moment. There are some tunes I like less than others, but almost any song that is done well or w/some kind of cool chord voicings will interest me.
    I got Biréli Lagrène's album Just The Way You Are only because it had a version of I'll See You In My Dreams, a song I was interested in. I never imagined that I would enjoy the title track, much less want to learn to play it. It smokes. He made it a great swing tune.

User Info Menu

I pretty much like all the standards, at least in their instrumental versions, but "Besame Mucho"....gah, I don't get the appeal at all.

However, if "Feelings" is considered a standard, that's in my number one most hated slot, hands down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hydra
    thanks meggy. yes streisand is a show singer...not my favorite style,in fact grates me as well, but she is undeniably great and that particular tune is an awesome work by her.
    check my website for 9 string tuning
    9string.com
    Well, so much for Streisand - although for some reason for me, I just love the way she sings. I still think she could be an absolutely awesome jazz singer if she wanted - although she would probably earn a lot less too...

Thanks for the link, that guitar tuning is undeniably fascinating, and the possibilities must be somewhat mind-bending really. I will stick to 6 strings though I admire what you can do with your 9!

User Info Menu

Summertime is my all-time most hated tune. Had a club owner once who, after having one too many, would come onstage and sing it - that's what he called it …

User Info Menu

wow, i love that tune. check out mccoy tyners deconstruction of it.

User Info Menu

My least favorite standard is "Tune Up" - cannot attach to this song and cannot find a groove and nothing .... But ai like most of the others that were mentioned here Misty, My Funny valentine, summertime, even fever and feeling' good :-) .... But anything looses its appeal if one hears it too much I guess

User Info Menu

I'll cast my vote against Autumn Leaves.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnoL
    I'll cast my vote against Autumn Leaves.
    Perhaps you haven't seen this version then.

User Info Menu

Funny, my answers are pretty much the same as they were 2 years ago when this hread came out...

And add "Summertime."

User Info Menu

Watermelon Man.

User Info Menu

I'm going with Summertime and Fever. Those seem to be the tunes that are always called by people who don't play jazz when they want to play jazz....blues guy in the bowling shirt, I'm looking at you. While I clearly understand that this thread is about jazz standards, I never miss an opportunity to express my utter disdain for that most unfortunate of songs....Mustang Sally. Just typing it makes me feel dirty.