The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Time for another round of name that shopgoodwill.com guitar. It was well used. Its listed in Tennessee. Has an extra switch installed. Looks 70s maybe. There are several people hot on its trail with the bid up to $940 with over three days to go.
    Vintage Unbranded Sunburst Archtop F Hole Electric Guitar P&r Read | ShopGoodwill.comAnyone know who made this? goodwill-screenshot_20240513-171248_firefox-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It is a swedish made Hagstrom Jimmy D’Aquisto model, which has been modded with a (copy) Gibson L5 tailpiece , Johnny Smith Bridge, and Super 400 trussrodcover. Thats a lot of archtop history in one instrument

Hey thanks. I was thinking hagstrom as well. It just didnt look like there recent builds. I dont think I had ever seen the made in Sweden version.

User Info Menu

Bidding on the Good Will site has gotten really crazy, people must think it's the second coming of eBay or something. I've seen ridiculously high bids for junk, and it's doubly absurd because you can't be sure what you'll receive and if it's trash-worthy, you can't return it - just consumer madness if you ask me.
    Last edited by Mick-7; 05-14-2024 at 01:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Reading the description, that guitar is a hot mess. Besides all the cracks listed, the lack of a truss rod nut is concerning.

User Info Menu

I've owned the Fender D'Aquisto Elite twice. In between I briefly owned a Hagstrom Jimmy f-hole model from the same period as the one at ShopGoodWill. No contest: The Hagstrom wasn't close.

Very few deals felt as good as ditching the Hagstrom for the FD'A Elite. 2+ years later I'm just as happy about it. The FD'A Elite is a right guitar for me.

User Info Menu

At the current bid, that guitar is about $900 more than I would want to pay for it.

User Info Menu

Another thing to consider, even if it may not be the case here, there are factories in China that will build anything to your spec (Chibson, Ch'Aquisto?, Chagstrom? Chender?) including poorly done relic faux abuse and even headstock logo violation.
    The truth is, not enough from a mere photo to pick those out as I know of several factories that will build me knock offs to any spec I can give them. Why would I ever? I buy them for students who want to learn to build and repair guitars and they can have something really playable in the end, for well under $500 (delivered. Including the price of custom quality replacement mods). I can provide a rewarding educational experience for somebody to learn guitar craft with...but that can be too easily abused by sellers with no scruples and sales outlets with no knowledge.
    All this is to say, if your seller is not reliable, these days you just don't know what you're getting. Goodwill mystery guitars? Great place to get fleeced.

I completely agree that prices on there have gone a little crazy of late. I have gotten some good deals over the years on there, including that conn c200 last year. For the money I paid its a decent guitar thats in good shape. But it definitely getting tougher. That one I just posted has a lot of issues. But if you know what the heck you are doing, it could be brought back I think.