The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I have mine already (beautiful blonde) but in looking at the Walkin website (to see if they had any of the 175 knockoffs in stock) I saw this, which I would quickly add to my collection, if I had more money than sense.

Sadowsky Jim Hall in Koa!-jim-hall-model-koa-a2312-00-jpg

????????????????????

Solid Koa, vs. maple lam. Wonder what the difference in sound would be....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Really great looking guitar! I've often wondered why laminate archtops are almost exclusively maple. Gibson I guess. There's a huge world of face veneers that would work just as well. Hard to know what the difference might be without buying it :)

From what I can tell this would be a laminate, like other Jim Halls. Google translate of that page says it is. As such I'd think there'd be very little difference in sound, especially thru the amp.

I couldn't find out what the inner plies are made of, but most of the time it's not the same as the faces. In a production shop you'd have all the core plies the same and just change the outer veneers. EG: highly flamed maple is more expensive than plain, so smart builders don't use it where it isn't seen.

So even if you're a firm believer in 'tone wood' difference thru the amp, this could only sound about 20% 'different' at the very best, since the 3 inner cores are likely the same as a maple Jim Hall... maybe?

With my blown ears especially I'm about 100% sure they'd sound the same, if they have the same strings, pickup and amp. As long as I couldn't see it that is.

User Info Menu

If it was good enough for Jim Hall...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft View Post
    Really great looking guitar! I've often wondered why laminate archtops are almost exclusively maple. Gibson I guess. There's a huge world of face veneers that would work just as well. Hard to know what the difference might be without buying it

From what I can tell this would be a laminate, like other Jim Halls. Google translate of that page says it is. As such I'd think there'd be very little difference in sound, especially thru the amp.

I couldn't find out what the inner plies are made of, but most of the time it's not the same as the faces. In a production shop you'd have all the core plies the same and just change the outer veneers. EG: highly flamed maple is more expensive than plain, so smart builders don't use it where it isn't seen.

So even if you're a firm believer in 'tone wood' difference thru the amp, this could only sound about 20% 'different' at the very best, since the 3 inner cores are likely the same as a maple Jim Hall... maybe?

With my blown ears especially I'm about 100% sure they'd sound the same, if they have the same strings, pickup and amp. As long as I couldn't see it that is.
    It was intriguing, as the translation I got suggested it might be solid wood, but you are probably right. Here's the translation I got:

"This is a brand new ``Jim Hall Model,'' which is manufactured in Japan with the motif of D'Aquist's late laminate model, which was used as his main guitar for many years. This model uses laminated maple wood in the standard version, but this one that is now in stock is a limited edition model that uses the rare koa wood! You can enjoy the unique beautiful heathered appearance and more acoustic sound."

It doesn't say it is or isn't laminate specifically. I would imagine if it were solid, it might be more feedback prone...

User Info Menu

Walkin had two of these. I bought the other one last month. I had it shipped to the US from Japan. The guitar looks, plays and sounds great! I asked Walkin how the sound of this Koa version compared to the standard version and they said the sound was very much the same.

I am happy to provide more information is anyone is considering this guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Walkin had two of these. I bought the other one last month. I had it shipped to the US from Japan. The guitar looks, plays and sounds great! I asked Walkin how the sound of this Koa version compared to the standard version and they said the sound was very much the same.

I am happy to provide more information is anyone is considering this guitar.
    Good job! So, is it a koa veneer with laminate, or solid wood?

the website photos look like unfinished koa on the interior, through the f hole...

User Info Menu

Currency translator says: 4,025.34 US Dollars.

User Info Menu

I could never give this one up, but adding the koa? Would be like Betty and Veronica. Betty has always been more faithful, but the dark mystery of Veronica beckons. Nah! .... but, still.... Nope! Unless...

Sadowsky Jim Hall in Koa!-img_0002-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox View Post
    ..the website photos look like unfinished koa on the interior, through the f hole...
    Woodworking note: that won't tell you if it's solid or laminate. The correct way to make any veneer glue up dictates the same veneer be used on both faces for stability. It's called a balanced panel.

Nice guitar Yeb! I'm a B-120 guy so I it's right in my wheelhouse. You don't need another one!

User Info Menu

i saw this the other day, looks great...if it was a Bruno i would have brought it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft View Post
    Woodworking note: that won't tell you if it's solid or laminate. The correct way to make any veneer glue up dictates the same veneer be used on both faces for stability. It's called a balanced panel.

Nice guitar Yeb! I'm a B-120 guy so I it's right in my wheelhouse. You don't need another one!
    ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! I do NOT need another guitar! (But, I don't have a national steel bodied resonator. And, I really could use a baritone of some kind. And I have nothing in a P-90! And, and...)

I think you are right about the koa, makes sense that they would just substitute Koa for both external layers on the lam. Would look strange to see unfinished maple glaring out through the sound hole.

User Info Menu

It is unfinished koa on the inside. I am not sure if all the plys are koa.

User Info Menu

I might suggest taking a peek at the cross section of the wood provided by the cuts of the unbound F holes, or in the case that they're bound in some way, loosen the pickup ring and lift the pickup assembly out a bit. You'll see the plies clearly if it's laminated.

Product descriptions tend to highlight the facade wood and downplay the constructive aspects. Best way is to take a peek where the top has been cut clean through.
    Just to add to the confusion, even solid carved guitars can be built and routed for pickup mounting but it's not all that common and it tends to be be thicknessed heavier for stability. I've seen much more variation in laminates to the point that there are high end laminates that have a more defined resonance and response than some overbuilt solid wood guitars.

As pointed out, the way to tell is to hold it, play it and see if it resonates with you. And that can be a visual appeal too.

I had a conversation with guitar icon Bill Leavitt a long time ago. He told me he had an epiphone, an OLD pre Gibson Epi with a solid top. At some point he had to have work done on it and it involved refinishing a portion. When the original finish was scraped back, the luthier realized in horror that that incredible grain count was 50% painted on! Someone at the time of construction had meticulously painted in grain lines to simulate a greater grain count! Well needless to say, he never knew in all the years he'd played and performed with it that this had been the case so lesson being, what you feel is what you feel and what you don't know won't hurt you.
    But Bill added with a smile that from that point on, he didn't feel the same and he never felt the same bond with that old guitar. Connection with a guitar is a very elusive thing. If it's sexy to you, you make beautiful music together no matter what the specs say.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox View Post
    Good job! So, is it a koa veneer with laminate, or solid wood?

the website photos look like unfinished koa on the interior, through the f hole...
    Decorative veneers are used on the top and bottom of a veneer stack. Otherwise you might get at a peek at the man behind the curtain. That is to say, how many pieces are glued together, what the quality of the internal layers. All things manufacturers don't want you to know. It is likely that the internal layers are birch or maple. There could be Sapele too since it's cheap.

These are likely made in Terada where almost all of laminate archtops are made. They make excellent quality guitars for the money but there is almost no chance, the woods are solid. You can use almost any figured wood as a decorative veneer. All major companies do so, including the likes of Gibson.

User Info Menu

Not bad for 4K!!!

Arnie...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    Currency translator says: 4,025.34 US Dollars.
    I've mentioned this before on this forum, but people might be interested to note that the yen has been floating between about 145 to 150 per dollar this year. It was 104 at the start of 2021, for example. In other words, it's a very good time to spend dollars in Japan. They go further today than any time in the past 20 years.

I'm not trying to talk anyone into any purchase, though. I just happen to live in Japan half the time, so I track the exchange rate a bit. I doubt this situation will last forever.

User Info Menu

speaking of Sadowsky i got an email a couple days ago saying hes getting out of the archtop biz.

"After 20 wonderful years, I have decided to end my archtop guitar production.

It has been a great ride and I have loved all of the players I have had the opportunity to work with over the years.

I appreciate all of you who have appreciated and supported my work.

User Info Menu

I saw that also. The archtops that are currently for sale are the last of them. There are a few in the US on the Sadowsky site.