The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Could be a total scam for all I know. Just saw it on Facebook so thought I would throw it out there in case someone lives nearby. $2500 means the person is way out of touch with the market so whatever the situation is there. Good deal if it's in good shape. And assuming this is on the up and up. Dangerous world out there.

Last edited by Spook410; 05-03-2024 at 02:27 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hmmm. Or could depend on the local market. I got my ES-175 for that price just a couple of months ago, because there's a little to no market in my area for archtop guitars. Or, at least from looking at Craigslist, most everything else; Telecasters, Stratocasters, Les Pauls, etc., also seem to languish at reasonable prices for long stretches of time. There was a Heritage H-550 on the local Craigslist for $2500 for a couple of months, at least. I don't know if it sold or if the listing just expired. I think the high end market is just soft these days, in many places.

User Info Menu

Selling higher end archtops locally is difficult. I sold an Eastman AR880CE for a pretty big loss a while back (had some bills). Someone near me has an Eastman AR803CE (all carved) near me for $1200 that is seriously tempting me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara View Post
    Hmmm. Or could depend on the local market. I got my ES-175 for that price just a couple of months ago, because there's a little to no market in my area for archtop guitars. Or, at least from looking at Craigslist, most everything else; Telecasters, Stratocasters, Les Pauls, etc., also seem to languish at reasonable prices for long stretches of time. There was a Heritage H-550 on the local Craigslist for $2500 for a couple of months, at least. I don't know if it sold or if the listing just expired. I think the high end market is just soft these days, in many places.
    Current price for a Gibson ES175 is $3500 - $4000. Even in my small town. I think you are out of touch with current prices.

User Info Menu

What percentage of the sale do dealers (brick-and-mortar or online) normally take for sale of an instrument on consignment?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    What percentage of the sale do dealers (brick-and-mortar or online) normally take for sale of an instrument on consignment?
    Brick and mortar charges a lot. Ebay and Reverb less. Craigslist and Facebook (and Jazz Guitar Forum) are free. But you already know that.

Apples to apples for a Facebook listing would be Craigslist. Did a quick search of California / Nevada on Craigsist for Gibson ES175's. A 2017 for $3700, a vintage 68 for $7500, and a vintage 53 for $9500. And that was it. Supply and demand. And kind of all over the map considering the vintage gear.

Odd folks seem to want to argue whether or not $2500 is a good deal for an '89 if it's in good shape. Do you guys actually shop for used guitars?

User Info Menu

I for one appreciate the tip, but I'm not motivated enough to drive 5+ hours (round trip) to see if it's worth buying. I have a Japanese 1970's "lawsuit" copy of that model which is just fine. Judging by the ad, the seller doesn't know much about guitars, he said he inherited it and he doesn't play.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    I for one appreciate the tip, but I'm not motivated enough to drive 5+ hours (round trip) to see if it's worth buying. I have a Japanese 1970's "lawsuit" copy of that model which is just fine. Judging by the ad, the seller doesn't know much about guitars, he said he inherited it and he doesn't play.
    It's 4 or 5 hours each way for me (southern Oregon) and I already have a nice ES175. Of course.. if it were close by I probably couldn't resist. A good deal on a good guitar is often a trading step to get to what you really want. Say a nice L4..

User Info Menu

Well, the seller does say the guitar was inherited and he doesn’t play. Sounds possibly legit. I’ve family in Sac, but I’m not in the market for any more guitars. The cost for a round trip flight from Seattle to Sac is $250. So worth a flight down if it’s legit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
    Current price for a Gibson ES175 is $3500 - $4000. Even in my small town. I think you are out of touch with current prices.
    Well, as I said I bought my ES-175 for $2500 just a few months ago. The seller dropped the price after a month or so without any nibbles at $3000; I think that pretty clearly suggests the local market is soft (although there is a very similar ES-175 on the local craigslist now for twice that). And the Heritage H550 ad I mentioned has dropped off; it was also $2500. it was a beautiful looking instrument I have to say; Heritage always does such nice sunbursts. But there is a little to no market for archtops in the Twin Cities, as far as I can tell. There aren't that many jazz musicians around here and most of those play some kind of semi hollow or solid body.

User Info Menu

Saw this old Hofner on Facebook, are these any good playing and sound wise? I seldom hear folks talk about them. Sure looks pretty.

https://shorturl.at/IJZ02

On Facebook

User Info Menu

Well, as I said I bought my ES-175 for $2500 just a few months ago. The seller dropped the price after a month or so without any nibbles at $3000; I think that pretty clearly suggests the local market is soft (although there is a very similar ES-175 on the local craigslist now for twice that). And the Heritage H550 ad I mentioned has dropped off; it was also $2500. it was a beautiful looking instrument I have to say; Heritage always does such nice sunbursts. But there is a little to no market for archtops in the Twin Cities, as far as I can tell. There aren't that many jazz musicians around here and most of those play some kind of semi hollow or solid body.
    A bit off topi c but do you know a guitarist in the Twin Cities Dave Singley? He grew up around area here and studied guitar with Bill Barker top player.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    A bit off topi c but do you know a guitarist in the Twin Cities Dave Singley? He grew up around area here and studied guitar with Bill Barker top player.
    No, but I looked him up and his touring schedule is hectic to say the least. Yikes! Dunno if he's flying or driving but either way getting in lots of miles. 39 states, if I added correctly, plus D.C. plus a gig in Canada in the next 6 months.

Hey all,

I bought my ES-175 used for $2499 at the Hollywood Guitar Center about 10 months ago.

Plays great, looks great etc... It was part of a "3 day all used 20 percent off deal."so if my math isn't terrible, would be selling at 3k. There was some work down to the back side of the neck that is barely noticable and doesn't affect the sound, feel or playability but still seems very cheap.

that Don't people just sell on Reverb?

I am in a cash crunch and may consider selling and buying a used Eastman or GB Ibanez. Any thoughts?

User Info Menu

Having bought and sold my share of guitars, the “market” is what anyone is willing to pay. I’ve always sold guitars under what the so called “market” was.

User Info Menu

I’m in communication with the seller via FB. He’s willing to accept $2250. Anyone interested?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    I’m in communication with the seller via FB. He’s willing to accept $2250. Anyone interested?
    Did he mention if he's getting much response to his ad?

Quote Originally Posted by ES175please! View Post
    Hey all,

I bought my ES-175 used for $2499 at the Hollywood Guitar Center about 10 months ago.

Plays great, looks great etc... It was part of a "3 day all used 20 percent off deal."so if my math isn't terrible, would be selling at 3k. There was some work down to the back side of the neck that is barely noticable and doesn't affect the sound, feel or playability but still seems very cheap.

that Don't people just sell on Reverb?

I am in a cash crunch and may consider selling and buying a used Eastman or GB Ibanez. Any thoughts?
    Guitars with neck repairs typically get discounted by a fair amount.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    I would go look if it were closer.. that and I have no more room for guitars.

User Info Menu

This is a good era for 175's and a very good price assuming that the guitar needs no work.

The tuners have been changed. What else has been changed?

If I did not already have three 175's, I would certainly go look at this one. Someone might get a great deal on an iconic guitar.

User Info Menu

Seller says he’s out of town until Monday, and has a pending offer Monday for $2250.