The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Hello,

Interested in purchasing an original DA RC1100. Please message if you have one or know someone who has one looking to sell. Not interested in the guild reissue.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Gold or chrome ? Complete set or just the pickup ?

User Info Menu

Buy the reissue they are just as good and much cheaper.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6 View Post
    Ditto, on this side of the Atlantic.

User Info Menu

I had a reissue once. I think they sound good but quite different from the vintage ones.

Wish I could help you out. They’re great pickups.

Gold w/ the stick at least.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark View Post
    Buy the reissue they are just as good and much cheaper.
    Looking for original only. This is for a new-build guitar, and I have two instruments already with original 1100s and want to keep in theme. Also a good compare/contrast with the pickup as a constant.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timc100 View Post
    Looking for original only. This is for a new-build guitar, and I have two instruments already with original 1100s and want to keep in theme. Also a good compare/contrast with the pickup as a constant.
    That's a good idea for guitar A-B-C comparisons.

For background: Bryant Trenier is building me a guitar, his Continental model (takes inspiration from 80s D'Aquisto New Yorkers), and I want to have the 1100 on it. I have a D'Angelico and Koontz with 1100s on them already.

User Info Menu

So, actually MY side of the Atlantic

So, actually MY side of the Atlantic
    Nice - also love that Homer quote. I forgot how great the music was in that show.

User Info Menu

Tim: If you are in the Old World, buy from Frank - you'll save a pile of $$ in unnecessary VAT.

User Info Menu

He isnt, but Bryant is…

User Info Menu

Hello,

Interested in purchasing an original DA RC1100. Please message if you have one or know someone who has one looking to sell. Not interested in the guild reissue.

Thank you

Have you compared them to the Guild Reissues? What did you think?

I haven't had a guild reissue on my instruments but I've seen/heard/noodled on one that did and it sounded good. I've heard from people that Guild is doing a very good job with them.

User Info Menu

I have done a number of side by side comparisons. I have 4 original DeArmond's of which 2 are 1100's, 1 is a 1000, and the other is the Rhythm Chief. I also have 4 of the reissues. I had one reissue 1100 that was not quite up to speed for sound across all the strings. I put another new reissue on, and it was fine no problems. To my ears it sounds very close to the original 1100 that is on my 49 D'angelico and my Barker guitar.

I put a chrome 1000 reissue on my 1938 L5 and is sounds wonderful one of the best jazz electric sounds I hear. Every bit as good as the real deal on my other Barker. Finally I put a gold-plated reissue on my other D'a and it sounds as good as they come. I believe that due to quality control the reissues might not be as consistent, but they work just as well. Given they can be bought for about $200 there is no way I am going to ever pay for an original even if I was Warren Buffet.

All of he pickups across the board will vary a bit in sound even with the originals. That said I believe the 1000's are wound different around the magnet and I actually find they sound better than the 1100 with individual pole pieces being adjustable. If someone wants to buy and original that is their choice and money. I frankly cannot hear any real evidence they are better or that much superior. I believe an original would run $500-1000. You can buy a 4 reissues for that price and try them all.

The biggest selling point of DeArmond's is not so much the sound as the thinness of profile. They will work when almost no other pickup fit under the strings. They are even thinner than the Kent Armstrong Slimbucker. KA's and Dearmond's are different sounding but frankly they both get great jazz guitar sounds.

If someone wants a video of the pickups I make one using all of them.

That will be a cool comparison video to see.

User Info Menu

I did not have the pickups at the same time, so my comparison is by memory. I felt that the new one (I only compared the 1100) had less high end. I also felt that it was susceptible to more single coil hum. But I do think the new one sounded great. I'd be interested in hearing another comparison from someone who has both, in case my recollection is wrong.

User Info Menu

Check with @thatrhythmman he sold me a 60s 1100 and had two at the time of sale. The other had some more patina may have been a 70s but may still be avail. Should have bought both, original measures out at much higher output than the reissue ones. He was fair and great to deal with

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jsparr1983 View Post
    Check with @thatrhythmman he sold me a 60s 1100 and had two at the time of sale. The other had some more patina may have been a 70s but may still be avail. Should have bought both, but it measured out at much higher output than the reissue ones. He was fair and great to deal with
    I still have one stamped Mar 10 1970.

Also several vintage RC1000 and FHC.

User Info Menu

Hello,

Thank you

You might want to email Michael at DjangoBooks.com. He carries all sorts of rare and old pickups, including DeArmond. He also might be able to give you a lead on where to find a pickup or two. Also, have you tried looking on Reverb?