The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

periodic request...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't know if this interests you, Jack - but I thought I'd mention it in case you might consider it. There's a PM200 for sale now at Guitars 'n Jazz.

User Info Menu

Good suggestion, but 2 different animals, both in tone, and feel. The PM200 has a much deeper body, and the single pickup gives it a different tone from the PM120 which is a two pickup guitar, so the tops vibrate differently. Also the PM200 has a different pickup design. The ebony bridge in the PM200 also makes it a bit darker etc..

Cheers,
    Arnie..

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit View Post
    I don't know if this interests you, Jack - but I thought I'd mention it in case you might consider it. There's a PM200 for sale now at Guitars 'n Jazz.
    i've never tried one but a buddy of mine says they are very bright. Also fatter than a 175...Apparently ibanez has been all over the map with those with different neck pickup placements, different body thicknesses due to Pat not being happy with it.

User Info Menu

Only one pickup and black, but lovely
    Ibanez PM100-BK Pat Metheny Signature 1997- Black | eBay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker View Post
    i've never tried one but a buddy of mine says they are very bright. Also fatter than a 175...Apparently ibanez has been all over the map with those with different neck pickup placements, different body thicknesses due to Pat not being happy with it.
    There's one on eBay right now from a Canadian seller for $2500 (for some reason I'm having a hard time copying the link), looks like a better deal than anything else on reverb at the moment.
    For what it's worth I owned a recent model PM 200 and even though it's a very well made guitar w/a good neck, it just didn't do it for me. Heavier than I expected, and the rims were well over 3", definitely too big for me. I also found it to be sort of lifeless sounding, for lack of a better way of saying it. I had a pick guard made for mine, I found I really needed one, may not bother everybody but definitely a big deal to me.

User Info Menu

periodic request...

You had a nice sounding one once, why did you sell it?

Cheers,
    Arnold.

Quote Originally Posted by bentnote View Post
    There's one on eBay right now from a Canadian seller for $2500 (for some reason I'm having a hard time copying the link), looks like a better deal than anything else on reverb at the moment.
    For what it's worth I owned a recent model PM 200 and even though it's a very well made guitar w/a good neck, it just didn't do it for me. Heavier than I expected, and the rims were well over 3", definitely too big for me. I also found it to be sort of lifeless sounding, for lack of a better way of saying it. I had a pick guard made for mine, I found I really needed one, may not bother everybody but definitely a big deal to me.
    i found a pm200 for cheaper than that but i'd rather have the 120/200 I think...

User Info Menu

i found a pm200 for cheaper than that but i'd rather have the 120/200 I think...
    Yes I've seen the 200 going for less than the 120s...the slimmer body and double cutaway is very interesting (though I would presumably still need a pickguard) and I'm not sure how much different it's going to sound than the 200?

Quote Originally Posted by bentnote View Post
    Yes I've seen the 200 going for less than the 120s...the slimmer body and double cutaway is very interesting (though I would presumably still need a pickguard) and I'm not sure how much different it's going to sound than the 200?
    the 120 sounds very different from the 100 or 200. 100 and 200 are more similar. I have not a/b'd them but a friend of mine has both and says the 200 is much brighter. It's a thicker guitar too, depth-wise.

p.s. pm120 inbound.