The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’ve signaled this before, now for real: the TOOB/Metro cab business needs a successor/partner. Why: I’m 77 and beginning to feel it. I’d have to continue another 13 years until my elder son, the heir apparent, retires from his day job.

So far, I’ve made around 750 units since the start in 2017. They can be found in 37 countries, with pros and active giggers the predominant user group. USA accounted for 30% of unit sales in 2023. Current capacity is some 150 units p.a. by one pair of hands. Even this would provide nice additional income for a luthier or amp/cab maker with the requisite space, capacity and skills. Market potential is for much more, but I don’t have the resources to substantiate this through market research, let alone to scale up.

The operation can easily be relocated anywhere, because the corrugated, double wall plastic pipe used for the cabs is made to standard dimensions all over the world. I’m equally open to a direct acquisition, joint-venture or a licensing/franchising arrangement. Bespoke tooling for rims, grills etc. may remain in my possession, lowering the successor’s startup cost. Whichever the solution, I’m committed to ensuring a smooth transfer of know-how even over an extended period.

If you’re interested, please send me a PM or e-mail to toobspeakers@gmail.com.

The day-to-day business continues as before. In fact, I’ve just topped up the speaker, grill, clamping rim etc. inventories and employ my grandson as a temp for finishing various components and videoing the production process. If you’re considering a TOOB or Metro, this is a good time to act.

And, if you happen to be in Helsinki on May 18, come say hello to us at the Helsinki Tonefest 2024 – Scandinavia’s largest guitar and bass show.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I might have had some interest, but I'm 77 also, and not looking for business opportunities, nor anything that requires steady work. Good luck to you in getting someone to take over, as I think it's a viable enterprise.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Stan!

Unfortunately, this all came late in life. I actually started the project in 2007 but had to wait until 2016 for the first decent guitar micro-amps to be available in Europe. (Today, the DV Mark Micro 50/60 family belongs to the macro end of the scale...) The project was on and off, but in 2016, my both sons faced unemployment, and I thought working for me could keep them afloat for as long as my modest coffers would allow. Well, they both found gainful jobs quickly. At the same time, the project had passed the point of no return. I'm glad it continued, because dealing with musicians is a big part of the total reward.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 04-20-2024 at 10:40 AM.