The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

After giving 7 string a good, long try, I have decided I just have too many other musical irons in the fire to devote the time necessary to it. So, this one has to go.

This is an early Eastman El Rey that previously belonged to Jeff Hale of J. Hale music. I am told this was Jeff’s main gigging guitar, and it has some dings and finish wear near the cutaway (pictured). The serial # is 1006. Knowing Jeff, this may have been a prototype. It has had a recent refret. Somewhere along the line a TOM bridge was installed. It has had a great recent setup. The action is 2mm at the nut and 3 mm at the 12th fret and the intonation is near perfect. The neck is a comfortable narrow D that is about 2 1/32” wide at the nut. It is strung with LaBella black nylon tape 14’s and plays like a dream. Two full sets of new strings will be included. The top is solid carved spruce and the sides and back looks like slab cut maple to me. The binding is a beautiful flamed maple. I don’t know the brand of the pickup, but I believe it’s original and sounds really great. The truss rod cover is non-original and is ebony.

This is a great guitar. I would especially recommend it for anyone who is interested in learning 7 string but who may not want to invest in an expensive boutique arch top. The voice is clear and with the black tape strings it conveys a sound almost like an upright bass in the lowest registers. It’s a great, very compelling jazz tone.

It comes with a custom Ameritage hard case in excellent condition.

Here’s a sample of how it sounds:

Price: $1,200 plus shipping and transaction fees (PayPal, etc.). CONUS only.

Eastman El Rey 7 String-img_3687-jpgEastman El Rey 7 String-img_3688-jpgEastman El Rey 7 String-img_3689-jpgEastman El Rey 7 String-img_3691-jpgEastman El Rey 7 String-img_3696-jpgEastman El Rey 7 String-img_3694-jpgEastman El Rey 7 String-img_3693-jpgEastman El Rey 7 String-img_3695-jpg
    Last edited by Mark M.; 04-09-2024 at 03:22 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fine guitar. Fine playing.

Thanks, Rob!

User Info Menu

Dang a year too late for me! Looked a long time for one of these.
    Ended up with a Kiesel Zeus 7 string. I don’t think this will last very long,

User Info Menu

Hello Mark,

PM sent...

Thanks,
    Rustic

You were right, JADS. The guitar is sold!

User Info Menu

Beautiful back.