The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I'm coming to the realization I might as well sell some the guitars I'm not using. I know there's never enough pictures or information provided here and audio clips are great so, I'm happy to provide all that and more on request. But, wanted to get the ad posted with some summary pictures to see if there's any interest here before I post to Reverb or take these in for consignment sale.

1952 L5C $12k USD
    1948 Super 400 $14k USD
    1907 18" Style O $6k USD

Detroit.

Here's a GOOGLE PHOTO ALBUM since the pix display on their side here for some weird reason.

Gibson Archtops-20240401_110834-jpgGibson Archtops-20240401_110548-jpgGibson Archtops-20240401_110606-jpgGibson Archtops-20240401_110631-jpg
    Last edited by pawlowski6132; 04-02-2024 at 08:32 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Gibson Archtops-20240401_110858-jpgGibson Archtops-20240401_110843-jpgGibson Archtops-20240401_110818-jpg

Gibson Archtops-20240401_111012-jpgGibson Archtops-20240401_110958-jpgGibson Archtops-20240401_110937-jpg

User Info Menu

That Style O is a beauty that's got my drooling like your proverbial dog (which I usually don't over such a serious bubblebutt ) !

Not that I have 7k (shipping and taxes included) lying around but I'd sure love to hear her!

User Info Menu

Where are you located?

User Info Menu

Holy archtop history batman, those are sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Where are you located?
    Detroit suburbs.

User Info Menu

These are the guitars you aren't using?!? I'm afraid to ask what guitars you are using that would be better than these...

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    These are the guitars you aren't using?!? I'm afraid to ask what guitars you are using that would be better than these...
    Well, that's the thing. I've found that 99% of the time I'm picking up either my '35 Epiphone Triumph or my '36 L10.

I'm just a solo-bedroom player and I really like the response, tone and how these two feel in my hands.

The for-sale guitars are ones I honestly have no business owning. I lusted after them for years and now can't justify keeping them.

It's the old adage of the dog chasing the car; what's he going to do when he catches it???

My plan is to sell these (if the Style-O doesn't sell, I'm OK to keep because it would be hard to replace) and maybe find a 16" L5 but, I can't imagine it would sound better than my L10.

Who knows.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
    Detroit suburbs.
    Its funny, that goes north of brighton these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian859
    Its funny, that goes north of brighton these days.
    And pretty much West to Ann arbor

User Info Menu

Pm sent!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
    Well, that's the thing. I've found that 99% of the time I'm picking up either my '35 Epiphone Triumph or my '36 L10.

... maybe find a 16" L5 but, I can't imagine it would sound better than my L10.

Who knows.
    Wow!
    Sorry to hear about your suffering! Sounds so brutal and hard!

It's good to know that there is hope in that L10. I love L10's too. That L5C would be a brutal cross to bear!

Good luck with the sale!

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Wow!
    Sorry to hear about your suffering! Sounds so brutal and hard!

It's good to know that there is hope in that L10. I love L10's too. That L5C would be a brutal cross to bear!

Good luck with the sale!
    Thanks. I'll manage somehow. It's day-to-day at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    That Style O is a beauty that's got my drooling like your proverbial dog (which I usually don't over such a serious bubblebutt ) !

Not that I have 7k (shipping and taxes included) lying around but I'd sure love to hear her!
    So, here's my PM response to an inquirer I thought I'd share with more info and a video clip:

--------------------------

So, this is an interesting piece. I think it's a great piece of history in that while Orville Gibson wasn't as active building guitars towards the end of that decade, he was still with the company and working so, it's possible he may have ad a hand in this one somehow.

I believe it started life black. I've only seen a few examples of these 18" models in the wild and they were both black.

Gibson 0 1906
    – Matt Umanov Guitars

Matt is dreaming by the way at $20k.

The other guitar (attached) is owned by Philip Rowens who, is an amateur authority on the very early Gibson's and has a nice collection.

Anywho, I don't have the complete provenance but, I do have paperwork that shows this guitar going back to Kalamazoo for a few items including refinish and new fretboard. It's interesting to see the correspondence. Gibson mentions that they don't have any designs or reference for the new fretboard so it had to be custom made.

There are some things worth mentioning.

The case isn't original.

There is some slight separation on the bottom between the side and top near where the end pin would be. I'll send a picture tomorrow.

Depending on your taste or style, it could use a neck reset. I'm OK with it but, I'm guessing most people would want the action lower.

The previous owner has the pickguard but, he never sent it. It was likely not original. I still keep in touch and could potentially get it.

I took it to Elderly Instruments in East Lansing, MI last year (prolly one of the top 3 vintage repair shops in the country, Folkway in Toronto being another) and I have their assessment. All else seems stable (bridge, bridgeplate, braces, tuners, etc.) Remarkably, no other crack's anywhere.

It's a cool piece. I enjoy picking it up and playing it often. I can't imagine that it would ever find it's way into a working musician's lineup of tools but, it's an amazing piece of history and still sounds great.

Oh, the neck is super chunky; no truss rod.

Here's a little comping.

------

User Info Menu

Thanks. The action does look almost classical-guitar-high but the sound seems mellow as it can be (a lot more than the more common "Style O"s from a bit later in the 20thC ).

Good for fingerpicking?