The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I heard from my friend Marc at Guitars N Jazz here in NJ that he is working on a 1996 Borys that he will list for sale on the GNJ website very soon. Sorry, I don't have any details about the guitar; all I have is this one picture from Marc's bench. He said that there was a small opening in the top's center seam underneath the tailpiece, which he glued and set. He detailed it and gave it a full setup and cleaning. The guitar will be listed for $5,995. If you're interested you can wait for it to be listed on the GNJ website of call Marc at the store for more info.

FYI, for all you Borys fans out there-1996-borys-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very cool. Looks like 17" carved spruce top? Any specs on scale length, nut, neck depth at 1st and 10th fret?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Very cool. Looks like 17" carved spruce top? Any specs on scale length, nut, neck depth at 1st and 10th fret?
    Sorry, I didn't get the specs from Marc. If you're interested I'm happy to ask Marc for details, otherwise he said he was planning to list it on the GNJ website "soon" (sorry again, no definition of "soon") and I'm sure he'll include all the particulars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ARGewirtz View Post
    Sorry, I didn't get the specs from Marc. If you're interested I'm happy to ask Marc for details, otherwise he said he was planning to list it on the GNJ website "soon" (sorry again, no definition of "soon") and I'm sure he'll include all the particulars.
    "Soon" has arrived: Guitars N Jazz has posted the Bory's for sale on their website. I have attached a link to the webpage below but for those in a hurry, here's the exec summary:

Custom B420 Special. 17” bout, parallel-braced spruce top, highly flamed maple body and neck. Ebony board, bridge and pick guard. Five-ply bindings. Pearl headstock inlays, custom gold tailpiece, matching Grover Imperial tuners, Kent Armstrong set pickup, pickguard mounted volume and tone controls. Price $6,000.

Specs:
    Nut width = 1.75? (1 3/4?, 44.45mm)
    Fingerboard width at the 12th fret = 25 1/2?
    Body Dimensions = 17? x 3? (431.8mm x 76.2mm)
    Neck Thickness @ 1st fret: .808?
    Neck Thickness @ 11th fret: .859?

BORYS B420 17″ Carved Archtop 1996 Guitar with pickup -- Guitars 'n Jazz

User Info Menu

Thanks for updating the thread here! Coming from Gibson, I find .81 to .86 to be pretty dang slim. Unfortunately a lot of modern luthiers seem sold on these skinny necks. Hopefully another player gets this though. It's definitely the best looking borys I've seen.

User Info Menu

I'm one of the weirdo's that loves Roger's stock neck. Mine's .81 at the 1st and just about .9 at the ninth. At the 11th the curve into to heel is happening and kinda hard to get a read on. Reading .86 at 11 seems a bit unusual? Custom carve I guess.

Player grade, and I bet it plays beautifully. I'd happily live with the checks at that price. I think I remember a post a while back where Roger was selling a 420 for a lot more than that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft View Post
    I'm one of the weirdo's that loves Roger's stock neck. Mine's .81 at the 1st and just about .9 at the ninth. At the 11th the curve into to heel is happening and kinda hard to get a read on. Reading .86 at 11 seems a bit unusual? Custom carve I guess.

Player grade, and I bet it plays beautifully. I'd happily live with the checks at that price. I think I remember a post a while back where Roger was selling a 420 for a lot more than that.
    Yeah, his 420s used to go for 10K. He made me play one once. I told him, Roger I'm a little guy, I can't play those big guitars"..
    He said, "just try it."
    I swear I had a flashback to when I was 14 years old, playing my teacher's D'Angelico.
    When I told him that, he said, "That's the the greatest compliment I've ever received."
    Even though he studied with Jimmy, John was his man.