The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Out of the loop on the 90s L5s is that a good price?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsparr1983
    Out of the loop on the 90s L5s is that a good price?
    I haven't come across a better price, but mixed reviews here on Lark Street?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    I haven't come across a better price, but mixed reviews here on Lark Street?
    I like Buzzy he is my Jewish friend. I think you need to look closely and ask questions if interested. I don't think he is out to screw anyone or hide things on purpose. He is pretty independent and really, I would buy a guitar from him for sure. L5's as of right now are sort of the top selling jazz carved top guitars by far. Therefore, to me the price of them is certainly inflated in general right now. I could find a Super 400 for a better but the L5 and 17 inch body is what most players want. So, for sure there are better buys on guitars however Gibson L5's are the icon. You won't go wrong really at this price and the guitar looks wonderful. I would call Buzz and go over the guitar with him. Then buy the guitar if you like what you hear. Probably not a better deal. Also, tell Buzzy hello from the Deacon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    mixed reviews here on Lark Street?
    I've had several purchases from Lark Street.
    Square dealer, great inventory and they take trades if asked politely.

Imagine actually not having to pay $9500 for an L-5! And your house will be cleaner too!

User Info Menu

Buzzy Levine is a character and knows guitars as well as anyone. I would strongly suggest making sure that your ideas about guitar condition comports with his before making a purchase. A phone call with a lot of questions (and perhaps some emailed photos) is in order before making a purchase.

User Info Menu

I have never bought a guitar from Lark Street, but based on those I have purchased from Dave's, Carter Vintage, Sound Pure, Guitar Center and the Gear Page over the years, I think Stringswinger's point holds true for any buy.

Buying a used guitar is a lot like buying a used car -- you have to be a bit of a detective and patiently ask a lot of questions, especially if you cannot inspect it in person.

Although I hasten to add that a good guitar can perhaps transport you more quickly and to more amazing places than than any set of wheels will -- and with no speeding tickets!

User Info Menu

I can vouch for Buzz Levine's integrity as a dealer, having bought from, sold to, and consigned with him over many years. (AND ... he's Duke Levine's brother!) He has been in the business for about 50 years and has dealt with some of the biggest names in pop/jazz/r'n'r music. He will give you a detailed hands-on description over the phone or via FaceTime, I assume. His asking prices tend to be more reasonable than many other dealers. He will respond to questions straightforwardly, so go ahead and ask!