The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hello
    I’m looking for a Moll 7-string. Preferably a 16” Pizzarelli or working man hero. I’m open to a 17” bout as well.
    Thanks
    Last edited by rshackles; 03-25-2024 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Clarification

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    thanks!
    I’m not crazy about the style of f-holes. Plus, it’s a bit expensive for what I’ve seen them go for.

thanks for the reply

User Info Menu

On the off chance you aren't already aware of this, the "asking price" that Reverb sellers list is often significantly higher than the price they will accept. I have sometimes been pleasantly surprised that Reverb sellers have accepted offers that I myself thought were "low ball."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Topper Roth
    On the off chance you aren't already aware of this, the "asking price" that Reverb sellers list is often significantly higher than the price they will accept. I have sometimes been pleasantly surprised that Reverb sellers have accepted offers that I myself thought were "low ball."
    I find that guys who are selling quality archtops these days have about zero flexibility. They all think they own the holy grail.It used to be on Reverb that guys who posted guitars and said they were open to offers would accept 10 percent off .It was part of the game but not anymore since covid.If it is a more mass produced guitar being sold,those are the guys to me who seem more open to haggling.

User Info Menu

You don’t specify a budget range, so this may not help you. But if I were buying another new 7 for gigging, it would be a Dale Unger (American Archtop) Pizzarelli for $6500 or an American Dream for $5400. They’re among the best made, best sounding, best playing guitars at anywhere near their price. I’ve strongly considered selling my two carved Eastman 7s (a 16 and a 17) and buying a Dream 7, but what I really want is a second small body 7 (15 or 16) for gigs.

The Eastmans are excellent guitars, so I haven’t pulled the trigger yet. But I did discuss ordering a Dream with Dale a few months ago. It’s getting harder to resist, since I haven’t yet found a good used 7 string archtop. I’ve looked at every one that came through a web post, including the Barney that’s been on Reverb for many many months and the Foster Basin Street 15” that’s come, gone, and returned to the Sale forum here a few times over the last 2+ years. By the time I have one like those refretted and the usual work done that a well played used guitar needs, I’ll have come close to or over $4500. And I’d have a physically plain instrument great for gigging but otherwise undistinguished.

The Eastmans are excellent and beautiful guitars. If you don’t want to spend $5k, look at a good used Eastman. Most of the ones I’ve seen for sale have been used very lightly and put up for sale because the owner didn’t bond with a 7.
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 03-10-2024 at 08:57 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

I enthusiastically second all that nevershouldhavesoldit said above. As a long time 7 string archtop player (+ btw nevershoulda, i bought the barney 7 you referenced, formerly owned/played by Bucky), Eastman and Dale Unger are excellent choices. The one on Reverb linked above is owned by a gentleman named Matthew who I consider an online friend as we've talked about that guitar and 7's for years. You might msg him. Best of luck with your journey in 7land.

User Info Menu

Rshackles, you might want to look at the sunburst 2021 Eastman 810CE7 on Reverb now. Asking price is $2200. I love my 810CE7 and highly recommend it. Eastman 7 archtop necks are all the same profile, which is a bit fuller than the American Archtops I’ve played. It’s not a baseball bat - the Gretsch GVE neck is fuller, for example. The Eastman 7 nut width is about 30 thou over 2”, which is perfect for me.

I don’t know the one linked above, but it’s worth an inquiry based on the description in the post. Just take a grain of salt first

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.
    As of now, I’m only interested in a Moll.
    I’m from Missouri and would like to own one of Bill’s guitars.
    I currently have a Gretsch GVA and a Ibanez AF207. Both are nice guitars but neither hit the mark.
    I’ve tried a few Eastman’s at archtop.com I wasn’t a fan of the neck profile.
    Thanks again for the feedback!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rshackles
    Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.
    As of now, I’m only interested in a Moll.
    I’m from Missouri and would like to own one of Bill’s guitars.
    I currently have a Gretsch GVA and a Ibanez AF207. Both are nice guitars but neither hit the mark.
    I’ve tried a few Eastman’s at archtop.com I wasn’t a fan of the neck profile.
    Thanks again for the feedback!
    I ordered an AF207 when I read the write up about its introduction in Guitar Player. It’s been my main gigging archtop since then, and I still love it after 25 years. I put a Benedetto B7 in it a few years ago, which added a smooth richness to its tone that the original DiMarzio Blaze didn’t have.

With JS113s plus a 75 Chrome, it’s a serious worker bee that I can use any time, anywhere without worry. The fairly thick laminated top resists feedback well up to pretty high volumes. My carved Eastmans sound better both acoustically and amplified, as do laminated American Archtops. I’ve never played a Moll and would like to try one. But the AF207 is a mighty nice instrument that probably has a permanent home with me.

I just splurged on heavy Benson TIs for it. When I put them on and set them up just right, I’ll post an update.

Bumpin it up

User Info Menu

Does it have to be a Moll or would other high end 7-strings do? Have 1 or 2 I've been considering selling.

Thanks for your reply.
    I’m mainly looking for a Moll right now.
    But feel free to list what you have to sell. I’m sure someone will be interested.
    Thx