The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ibanez 1979 Artist 2630-ibanez-frontal-shot-jpgIbanez 1979 Artist 2630-ibanez-case-jpgIbanez 1979 Artist 2630-ibanez-headstock-shot-jpgIbanez 1979 Artist 2630-ibanez-back-shot-jpgIbanez 1979 Artist 2630-ibanez-guitar-case-shot-jpgIbanez 1979 Artist 2630-dana-repair-receipt-jpg
    Ibanez 1979 Artist 2630-ibanez-back-shot-jpgIbanez 1979 Artist 2630-ibanez-right-side-shot-jpgIbanez 1979 Artist 2630-ibanez-left-side-shot-jpg

IBANEZ LOVERS… TAKE NOTE!
    This A2630 Ibanez Model used by players like Jens Larsen and in earlier years by John Scofield and others is a … Great alternative for Gibson 335 lovers with a considerably lower price tag.
    As can be seen by the picture, this 1979 model is in exceptionally good condition despite minor cracking and deterioration in the binding; a perfectly expected condition given the instruments vintage; along with barely noticeable initials in the headstock.
    All original parts including the very rare and hard to find original Pearloid tuners, except for the pick guard which was fabricated by Repro Guitar Parts whom I heartily endorse. The reason the Nitrocellulose body on this model is in such good condition is because the original Ibanez pick guards tended to ‘gas off’ ruining the finish in time. Wisely the original owner removed it for perhaps this reason. As a result, the guitars finish was remarkably preserved!
    A number of noteworthy things about the A2630 besides it’s great looks and vintage provenance are the amazing Super 80 pickups it is equipped with, (these are the hottest and loudest pickups I’ve ever used and will absolutely raise the roof!) along with it’s solid curly maple back and sides construction, and a full length sustain block offering the sustaining properties of a solid body with the tonal characteristics of a semi-acoustic. As might be noticed it also boasts a Tri Sound selector switch above the neck volume and tone controls. Lastly I would be remiss in failing to point out this instrument’s VERSATILITY. For country pickers the bridge pickup produces an amazing crunch that even I as a jazz player can appreciate. Combine both pickups and you get an incredible blues, R&B option. And although not a ‘jazz’ instrument in the strictest sense of the word, the neck pickup lends itself to this style as well as finger style playing.
    In 2000 I had the instrument gone through as part of a restoration project. All the wiring was replaced, pots checked for the appropriate values and cleaned, frets lightly dressed and more. Dana Sutcliff of Dana Research who did the work, was quite surprised that the hardware including the fret condition was so well preserved. See attached receipt for work done totaling totaling upward of $800. The guitar comes with a new custom fitted hard shell case by Cross Rock valued at $150. Oh of course, last but not least: the Asking price: $2800; Shipping: $85
    $SELLER assumes all outbound insurance costs. Instrument comes with a 7 day return policy. BUYER assumes all return related shipping, incl. Insurance.
    Attached Images Attached Images Ibanez 1979 Artist 2630-ibanez-shot-headstock-jpg 
    Last edited by Ed Monkiewicz; 03-12-2024 at 10:14 AM. Reason: improved textual changes

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Asking price?

User Info Menu

I'm sorry I got distracted with all the pictures and forgot to log the price. It is $2800 with freight negotiable. I'll update the listing ASAP.

User Info Menu

These are beautiful guitars. I have a 1978 2630 that I bought a couple of years ago.

For anyone looking for a little more info about the model, Ibanez only made them for 3 years (1977-79) and it was the predecessor to the Scofield AS200.

The one for sale looks very much like mine so I would assume this guitar has similar, if not identical, construction, which means it has a curly maple top and back, with maple sides and neck, and a full length sustain block so the guitar is a bit on the heavy side. The fretboard is ebony with pearl-abalone fret markers. The nut is half bone-half metal.

As for the pickups, the seller mentions that these are the original Super 80s. The neck pickup is what Ibanez referred to as a Tri-Sound and the small switch above the neck pup volume knob is a Tri-Sound selector switch. My guitar did not come with the original pups so I can't comment on the Tri-Sound feature. The pickup covers originally had a flying fingers engraving; I can't tell from the pictures if there's any trace left of the fingers or if it wore off with the gold plating.

As for the neck, I find it a little on the thin side but I haven't played very many guitars other than my own 2630 and my small collection of archtops and I don't have much to compare it to, so it could well be that the neck profile is typical for this type of guitar.

When I bought my guitar I had started a thread on the Forum with a few pics and there were quite a few comments, so I know that there are other Forum members who have experience with these guitars. The thread is still available if anyone is interested in the guitar and would like more comments about these guitars from experienced players.

User Info Menu

You're just the guy I'm looking for! Someone who knows a lot about this guitar Your information is very helpful. What's the easiest way for me to locate your thread on this instrument. Interested what you mention about the pick up covers. They had no markings on them but I'll take a closer look. Somebody screwed around with this guitar big time who didn't know what they were doing which is why I sent it to Dana Research and had him go through it. He was expensive but thorough.
    Anyway I got a new (used) Quilter 202 in yesterday and just grabbed the 2630 since it was out the case. I'm playing it through a 12" JBL speaker and custom cabinet of Mahoghany.( I'm big on vintage JBL's. I couldn't believe the sounds I got out of it especially on the bridge PU. I wish I had it back in the day when I was backing up major acts in Nevada many years ago. I don't normally like or use the bridge PU even on the middle setting but I was getting country and R&B sounds that would cut through a 20 piece orchestra. I'm glad you explained about the TRi=switch on it . I thought they all had that feature. Yeh the guitar is sorta heavy but you answered my question about the construction being solid and not laminate. That helps explain the incredible sustain. Amy way stay in touch I enjoy talking to you. Ed

User Info Menu

PS Yes it has the flying fingers engraved on the covers as you mention. If I were take a close up picture you would be able to see this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Monkiewicz
    You're just the guy I'm looking for! Someone who knows a lot about this guitar Your information is very helpful. What's the easiest way for me to locate your thread on this instrument. Interested what you mention about the pick up covers. They had no markings on them but I'll take a closer look. Somebody screwed around with this guitar big time who didn't know what they were doing which is why I sent it to Dana Research and had him go through it. He was expensive but thorough.
    Anyway I got a new (used) Quilter 202 in yesterday and just grabbed the 2630 since it was out the case. I'm playing it through a 12" JBL speaker and custom cabinet of Mahoghany.( I'm big on vintage JBL's. I couldn't believe the sounds I got out of it especially on the bridge PU. I wish I had it back in the day when I was backing up major acts in Nevada many years ago. I don't normally like or use the bridge PU even on the middle setting but I was getting country and R&B sounds that would cut through a 20 piece orchestra. I'm glad you explained about the TRi=switch on it . I thought they all had that feature. Yeh the guitar is sorta heavy but you answered my question about the construction being solid and not laminate. That helps explain the incredible sustain. Amy way stay in touch I enjoy talking to you. Ed
    Ed,
    Below is the link to the old thread that I posted about my 2630. You'll see in the first pic in the thread that when I bought the guitar the original Super 80s had been replaced and the tri-sound selector switch was missing. Also, the original pickguard had been removed so, like yours, the hardware and binding were spared the corrosion caused by gassing. By the end of the thread you'll see that I changed the pups and had a new pickguard made so it now looks pretty close to what it did when it left the factory some 45 years ago except for the flying fingers on the pup covers. For reference, I've attached a copy of a page from the 1978 Ibanez catalog that shows the guitar as it looked back then.

Sounds like you're much more of a player than I. I played a little bit when I was much younger but didn't stay with it while I devoted most of my time to feeding the beast of my career. I retired about 3 years ago and decided to try my hand at jazz guitar. I mostly play my archtop but was intrigued by Scofield, Remler, and others I saw playing jazz on 335-style guitars and figured I should give it a try, so I bought the 2630 that I found on a MIJ vintage guitar website. It definitely works for jazz, and I figured it would also come in handy if I felt like playing an old rock song of my younger days.
    Andrew

1978 Ibanez 2630

Ibanez 1979 Artist 2630-1978-ibanez-2630-catalog-2-png

User Info Menu

Show that guitar some respect and rotate the truss rod cover 180 degrees. GLWTS

User Info Menu

Wow. That's a treasure trove of information. Thanks so much. Extremely helpful! As I mentioned previously, I worked a few years in the early 80's as a staff guitarist at the Sahara and Harrah's Hotels in Lake Tahoe, Nevada and backed up performers such as Roy Clark, Dusty Springfield, Englebert, Suzanne Sommers and more. It was a fun gig for the most part aside from the egos and insecurities of the entertainment industry. I purchased a 1979 Yamama 2000 which I used for the 'pop' stuff but my main guitar was a 1962 Guild Manhattan-definitely a Jazz guitar- which is still my main instrument of choice. The Yamama was all right but what I should have bought was a late 60's or early 70's Gibson 335. I regret that decision until today but I was in a time squeeze for another instrument and so opted for the Yamama. It was all right. Not as good as the Ibanez which interestingly was produced the very same year as the Yamaha and essentially the same body style as the 335. I sold it after I stopped performing and had moved to N.Carolina. I let it go at a loss. There were no online selling platforms at the time and could only list it on a Penny Saver kind of platform. I compounded my original mistake with another one. Oh, well that's a learning curve and one of life's lessons.