The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

https://guitarscientist.com/get-performaxe/

I have a Dynarette cushion and like it except for two things: it slides down my pants leg while I play (-using a solid body electric guitar) and also, the guitar scoots a bit on the cushion itself.

I know someone who has one of these and likes it. I was going to order one but they're out of stock.
    If anyone here has one they want to let go of, let me know.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Please forgive me, but, Never seen one but think that I'd never want anything cast aluminum? to rest any of my guitars upon while I play them.
    Looks like a bad Idea to me.

I'm so careful about that that I decide whether to offer anyone to play my guitar only after looking for buttons, belt buckles, rings, etc, beforehand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    https://guitarscientist.com/get-performaxe/

I have a Dynarette cushion and like it except for two things: it slides down my pants leg while I play (-using a solid body electric guitar) and also, the guitar scoots a bit on the cushion itself.

I know someone who has one of these and likes it. I was going to order one but they're out of stock.
    If anyone here has one they want to let go of, let me know.
    Did you submit your email address for back in stock notification? I have and when I've been notified that they're back in stock I still haven't been able to purchase one or preorder one. They do look like an interesting solution for positioning a thin body guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Please forgive me, but, Never seen one but think that I'd never want anything cast aluminum? to rest any of my guitars upon while I play them.
    Looks like a bad Idea to me.

I'm so careful about that that I decide whether to offer anyone to play my guitar only after looking for buttons, belt buckles, rings, etc, beforehand.
    There is pads/cushion were it touches the guitar, i.e. the aluminium doesn't touch the guitar.

User Info Menu

I'd be happy with your Dynarette. That other thing looks like something from Robocop, that's equipped with AI. Probably it does something like take a scoop outta your thigh if it doesn't like the last lick you played!
    I'm happy with my low-tech Dynarette. Sure, it moves around, and the guitar moves around, but at least i still got all my body parts left after using it...

User Info Menu

I received one from the last batch after several months’ wait and much prefer it to either the Dynarette (too cumbersome, moves around) or Hamre Neck-up (suction cup too big even on the thin model) for a solid body like a Tele. Lightweight, protective rubber where it contacts the guitar although not recommended for extended use on nitro finishes, easily adjustable for neck angle once it has been fitted to the depth of the guitar. To acquire one you have to join the queue and wait for a batch to be completed. A bit pricey but worth it to me as I have shoulder issues that preclude supporting the guitar on a strap,

User Info Menu

Here is Tim Pierce talking about his experience with one.
    (The video is long and covers a lot of ground; the Performaxe bit is at the opening.)

Last edited by MarkRhodes; 02-23-2024 at 01:51 PM. Reason: wrong link

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by srs
    Did you submit your email address for back in stock notification? I have and when I've been notified that they're back in stock I still haven't been able to purchase one or preorder one. They do look like an interesting solution for positioning a thin body guitar.
    Yes, I did.
    According to the site, the next batch should be in on or around 4 March. Not too long a wait. I just hope I don't have to wait for the batch after this coming one. ;o)

User Info Menu

I used a Dynarette for years. It's a good product but as you have noted the shifting and instability is a drag. I recently switched to a Guitarlift and other than the size it is a great solution. The medium size works equally well on both the left and right leg. And unlike the other suction cup products that attach to the side (and never work on thin guitars) the Guitarlift attaches to the back and is very stable. The only down side is the size and I'm working with a designer friend of mine on an idea that takes off from where the Guitarlift begins with a similar attachment concept but an entirely different lift idea that would make it much smaller and more portable. I'm hoping to have a prototype within a few weeks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I used a Dynarette for years. It's a good product but as you have noted the shifting and instability is a drag. I recently switched to a Guitarlift and other than the size it is a great solution. The medium size works equally well on both the left and right leg. And unlike the other suction cup products that attach to the side (and never work on thin guitars) the Guitarlift attaches to the back and is very stable. The only down side is the size and I'm working with a designer friend of mine on an idea that takes off from where the Guitarlift begins with a similar attachment concept but an entirely different lift idea that would make it much smaller and more portable. I'm hoping to have a prototype within a few weeks.
    I had not heard of the Gutiarlift. I'll look into it some more. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Performaxe Guitar Rest-performaxe-png
    Get on the notification list. I have one and it's perfect for ergonomic playing. If you tell him you're concerned about the quick sell out, he can put one aside for you. I've done that twice and he's always made sure I got mine sent to me. (The time lag over the Atlantic is the time it takes for a run to sell out, he gets that.)
    It fastens via a screw mount that closes the rubber lined arms on the upper bout, the lower bout rests free. You can adjust the width of the clamp for the best geometry. It's solid, and it makes all the difference to me. Now my little semi feels like the comfort of a Klein and no shoulder pain or wrist strain from bad positioning. It's like playing classical guitar with a footstool: the neck is fully accessible.

User Info Menu

I put my name down on the list twice and never got a notification.

Like Jim, I went for the Guitarlift. Best solution ever.

User Info Menu

Here is a bit of show and tell about my performaxe. (I didn't mention in the video that I'd be very careful if you have nitrocellulose... with the performaxe or any other support system).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Here is a bit of show and tell about my performaxe. (I didn't mention in the video that I'd be very careful if you have nitrocellulose... with the performaxe or any other support system).

Thanks for the demo, Frank!
    I look forward to getting one of those soon. Very soon.

User Info Menu

Just to be clear, the Performaxe does NOT slide along one's pant leg, right?

User Info Menu

Do you wear shiny pants? Stays put on denim.

User Info Menu

Not for me. I'd say if your PRS or Tele don't slide by themselves, then I don't think they'd slide with the Performaxe.

And, BTW, if it doesn't work for you, I'll buy it from you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Not for me. I'd say if your PRS or Tele don't slide by themselves, then I don't think they'd slide with the Performaxe.

And, BTW, if it doesn't work for you, I'll buy it from you.
    Alrighty, then, though I expect it to work fine for me. The Dynarette slides, and my guitar (PRS) wiggles a bit on the Dynarette, but never if I put it directly on my leg.

User Info Menu

I got that rubber adhesive non slip stuff from the hardware store, 3M or something like that and cut an piece the size of the rubber pad that rests against my leg. I can wear shorts or anything and it's soft, non slip and it's not cold.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Do you wear shiny pants? Stays put on denim.
    No, no shiny pants. Jeans or cargo shorts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I got that rubber adhesive non slip stuff from the hardware store, 3M or something like that and cut an piece the size of the rubber pad that rests against my leg. I can wear shorts or anything and it's soft, non slip and it's not cold.
    Great idea!
    I'll do that.

I'll note that the flanges that grip the guitar work best with a guitar that has sides on it, and a top and back at right angles to it. It's not as effective a hold on a tapered side like a Strat or and SG because the gripping surface has more to "grab" on a right angle top and back.
    So Les Paul type is better. 335 and semi are great. Tapered and rounded body sides don't work as effectively. That's not to say they won't work but not as secure a grip.

User Info Menu

Good point, I hadn't thought of that

User Info Menu

A seller has arisen and a Performaxe is one its way to me. Yay!
    Should have it in a couple of days.
    I'll post something here.

User Info Menu

It has arrived!
    Performaxe Guitar Rest-performaxe-1-jpgPerformaxe Guitar Rest-performaxe-me-jpg

It will take time and experimentation to settle on which position and adjustments suit me best. Provisionally, I prefer the Performaxe on my left leg with a neck angled about this much.

The Performaxe is light but solid. It's well crafted.
    I am pleased.