The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

So, helping a friend sell this guitar. I have it in my possession (we're both in Detroit) so, happy to get many more pictures, serial number, etc.
    I believe it's a 1962, he mentioned having the original pickup too.

He's asking $7.5k.

Johnny Smith-20240215_112457-jpgJohnny Smith-20240215_112451-jpgJohnny Smith-20240215_112444-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

PM sent! Looks like it has been played in some smoky bars but if that’s not a diamond in the rough I dunno what is!

User Info Menu

Has a 70s truss rod cover. Orange or purple label? Check the serial # again, they can be confusing.
    Missing the plastic Johnny Smith badge on the t.p..
    But yeah been giigged heavily, a cool thing imo.

User Info Menu

It also seems to be missing the correct bridge saddle.....

I bought that truss rod cover NOS. I was told it was from the 60's. It was $200. Ugghh.

The original bridge/saddle is in the case.

User Info Menu

A 60s L5 or JS tr cover would just be engraved custom w a fat white border.
    What color label? Serial #?
    Pics of the back and back of neck please.....

Ok, just snapped some pictures and put them in this album.

Happy to grab anything more specific that I may have missed.

Pictures

User Info Menu

I could swear I've seen this guitar before. looks like the one that belonged to Ralph Tope.
    the patina/playing wear is super cool! looks like a '62 judging by the features and #.
    have you checked the headstock for a possible repair under that dark area?
    a blacklight might help....

User Info Menu

That guitar patina looks amazing. A lot of mojo in there. It would probably raise someones 50 points just playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I could swear I've seen this guitar before. looks like the one that belonged to Ralph Tope.
    the patina/playing wear is super cool! looks like a '62 judging by the features and #.
    have you checked the headstock for a possible repair under that dark area?
    a blacklight might help....
    PM sent

User Info Menu

How about some pictures of the head stock from the side? Looks like there’s something weird going on there aside from the finish.

User Info Menu

Wow, what a magical looking guitar. <3
    GLWTS.

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I have been in contact with Ralph about this guitar. Yes it belongs to Ralph Tope and previously belonged to Ilya Lushtak.

I found this clip of the guitar in action. Ralph is a fantastic player and is contributing 99% of the greatness here, but I can tell this is the kind of guitar that sits wonderfully in a mix while retaining its full hollow/floating pickup character.

For those wondering here are some more details I from Ralph.

The body has some repaired cracks done by Gary Zimnicki. There was also a previous headstock break which was repaired. It has been refretted in the past and has about 4 hours of play since its last fret level/crowning. The pickup is wired to an endpin jack. Ralph has the Gibson JS pickup somewhere too. Comes with a wooden bridge saddle but unsure if it's original. The case is, as you can see, not original.

Definitely a player, which is what I would want it to be. The headstock repair is the most significant new info for me to process. Sight unseen I can't evaluate the stability of it so it's a risk.

User Info Menu

Send a pm! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Danne
    Send a pm! Thanks
    Hi, sorry, I didn't receive your PM.

User Info Menu

Obviously not the original pickguard, if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Obviously not the original pickguard, if that matters.
    It's in the case.

User Info Menu

Are all those guitars in the background yours? Wow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brian859
    That guitar patina looks amazing.
    A little rub with Blue Coral car polish and that will come right off and shine it like new.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Are all those guitars in the background yours? Wow.
    Yeah. That's most of them. Prolly looks more impressive than it really is honestly.