The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

This beautiful archtop guitar was built by luthier Stephen Holst (Oregon) in February of 2020. It is very resonant with even tonal depth and sustain across the entire range of the instrument. The body is 2.75" deep, making it very comfortable and more feedback resistant than most archtop guitars.

I am the second owner of this guitar, but the guitar has spent most of its life with me, always in a temperature and humidity controlled smoke-free environment. During the first year I owned this guitar, it went back to the builder, Stephen Holst, for an issue with the truss rod. The guitar ended up getting a brand new dual-action truss rod and ebony fretboard in the process. I also chose to change the fret marker design at that time since it was getting a new fretboard regardless. With the new truss rod, this is now the most stable guitar I own. The repair left a few small finish imperfections on the lower side of the neck (see photos), which are purely cosmetic and can't even be felt. The nitrocellulose finish has also worn through in one small area on the lower back corner of the guitar body (see photos). Comes with the original hard shell case and a tune-o-matic bridge for anyone who prefers that over the ebony bridge.

Please feel free to ask any questions! This is an amazing hand-built guitar and it's ready for its next home!

Price: $2,500 (This is $1,000 less than a new one will cost you. The wait time for a new one is also about 1 year.)
    I am located in Philadelphia, PA, but I am willing to ship within the USA if buyer pays for shipping.
    Please email me if interested (eli@elipointer.com)

Specs:
    -Laminated spruce top.
    -Laminated maple back and sides.
    -Mahogany neck with ebony fretboard.
    -Ebony bridge, pick guard, tailpiece, and knobs.
    -Benedetto B6 pickup.
    -Gotoh tuners.
    -25" scale length.
    -20-fret design.
    -Neck profile: C
    -Neck depth, 1st/10th frets: .84/.97
    -Nut width: 1 11/16"
    -Fretboard radius: 12"
    -2.75" body depth.
    -Dual-action truss rod.
    -Nitrocellulose finish.
    -Weight: 5lb 14oz

Here is an older video of me playing the guitar (prior to it receiving the new truss rod and fretboard):

Attached Images Attached Images Holst 16" Archtop Guitar - NEW PRICE-img_5497-jpg Holst 16" Archtop Guitar - NEW PRICE-img_5498-jpg Holst 16" Archtop Guitar - NEW PRICE-img_5499-jpg Holst 16" Archtop Guitar - NEW PRICE-img_5500-jpg Holst 16" Archtop Guitar - NEW PRICE-img_5501-jpg Holst 16" Archtop Guitar - NEW PRICE-img_5502-jpg Holst 16" Archtop Guitar - NEW PRICE-img_5496-jpg Holst 16" Archtop Guitar - NEW PRICE-img_5494-jpg Holst 16" Archtop Guitar - NEW PRICE-img_5495-jpg Holst 16" Archtop Guitar - NEW PRICE-img_5493-jpg 
    Last edited by elipointer; 04-06-2024 at 12:28 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beautiful!
    I love my Holst guitar!

GLWTS!

(and nice playing!)

User Info Menu

Hi - I sent you a message back when you had this guitar on Craigslist in Philly - I lived in the Philly area for 30+ years before moving to Massachusetts a few years ago. Steve Holst makes great-sounding and very attractive guitars, no doubt! Do you have the capability to measure the neck DEPTH of this guitar at frets 1 and 10? Also, may I ask why you have decided to sell this guitar? Thirdly, do you know Rob Hekking, jazz guy out in Narberth? He studied with Sandole ... Thanks for your time!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Topper Roth View Post
    Hi - I sent you a message back when you had this guitar on Craigslist in Philly - I lived in the Philly area for 30+ years before moving to Massachusetts a few years ago. Steve Holst makes great-sounding and very attractive guitars, no doubt! Do you have the capability to measure the neck DEPTH of this guitar at frets 1 and 10? Also, may I ask why you have decided to sell this guitar? Thirdly, do you know Rob Hekking, jazz guy out in Narberth? He studied with Sandole ... Thanks for your time!
    Hi! Thanks for reaching out. I'm happy to take those measurements for you! I had sent you an email reply a while back asking if you wanted the fret height included in those measurements, but I didn't hear back. Let me know if you do or don't and I'll get those measurements for you this weekend.
    I've decided to sell this guitar because I'd like to buy a Martin acoustic and I need to free up some funds. I've been mostly using my Gretsch Duo Jet for jazz recently, so I figured I'd pass this one along to fund the Martin. It's a fantastic guitar!
    And no, I am not familiar with Rob Hekking. I've only been in Philly about three years. I'm originally from Colorado.
    Let me know how you want those measurements done!
    Thanks,
    Eli

User Info Menu

Thanks for such a rapid reply! I guess I never saw your response to my Craigslist query ... Actually, I just discovered that I already HAVE the neck thickness measurements - they were part of the description when Joe V had this instrument out at archtop.com. Looks like it's a little too thick for my needs these days. If you're looking to connect with other jazz players, you might want to give Rob a call. He might also know of potential buyers for the Holst - good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Topper Roth View Post
    Thanks for such a rapid reply! I guess I never saw your response to my Craigslist query ... Actually, I just discovered that I already HAVE the neck thickness measurements - they were part of the description when Joe V had this instrument out at archtop.com. Looks like it's a little too thick for my needs these days. If you're looking to connect with other jazz players, you might want to give Rob a call. He might also know of potential buyers for the Holst - good luck!
    Nice thinking! Archtop.com is where I purchased this Holst from. I just went back to the old posting too. I'll go ahead and add the neck depth measurements to the main post here in case others are interested.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

User Info Menu

Hi Everyone! I just dropped $300 off the asking price. Please feel free to ask any questions about the guitar. It's a great guitar and I'm excited to find the next owner!

User Info Menu

How much were you asking? Was that 3,200 knocked down to $2,900, or $300 knocked off $2,900?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomv713 View Post
    How much were you asking? Was that 3,200 knocked down to $2,900, or $300 knocked off $2,900?

Thanks!
    Hi Tom,
    Thanks for getting in touch! I originally had the guitar posted for $3,200 and then knocked $300 off. The price is now $2,900. It saw your message over on Reverb too. I have it posted for a little more over there to account for the "free shipping" on the listing. On the forum here I have asked the buyer to pay shipping instead.
    It sounds like you've got family in Philly who could pick up for you. I'm happy to sell to you for $2,900 and could even drop it off to your family if they are close by. I would prefer to do a cash or Venmo transaction directly instead of using Reverb so they don't take a percentage of the sale.
    Let me know if you are interested, and feel free to email me at "eli@elipointer.com" if you'd prefer.
    Thanks,
    Eli

User Info Menu

Hi Everyone! I'm feeling motivated to sell this guitar, so I just dropped the price to $2,500. That's $1,000 less than a new one will cost. I believe the wait time for a new one is also about 1 year at this point. Feel free to ask any questions! Great guitar that's ready for a new home!

User Info Menu

Jeez, this is a steal!! Someone will be very happy when they receive this!!

User Info Menu

Hi everyone! The Holst is still available. Feel free to ask any questions! And if you are near Philadelphia you are welcome to come check it out in person!