The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 64 of 64

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    Agreed - when I pack a guitar in the case, both the headstock and body are firmly cushioned, but with a little give. In the end, though, you just have to hope....
    Hey Mark - when you pack up my guitars for shipping shoot me some pics so I can display your pack jobs to the folks.

Also you can now see why Mr.Campellone likes volutes.
    Actually you get very used to them and become a nice thumb anchor when you are playing your 1st fret chords.

Gibson headstocks are popsicle sticks but I sure love the look of a stinger.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It broke my heart. I just came out of mourning for the loss of Joe D's two L-5WM. I am now finally able to speak, find my voice, say something. Vinny, you gotta find yourself a new zipcode pronto. What did you do to the UPS and FedEx guys on the Bay Area beat in your previous lives? I can't believe the luck of those Gibson archies. How many? I count at least 5, starting with the Tal Farlow ASB. Is the gravity different in your zip? An intense warp of space-time? Some crazy shit science experiment going on at Lawrence-Livermore?

You know, I think Mark Campagnolo Campellone had better deliver the Cameo to you personally...on a mountain bicycle built for two. Going to Vinny's? All bets are off.

Joe D, I hope you are made whole. I just can't believe what I am seeing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Hey Mark - when you pack up my guitars for shipping shoot me some pics so I can display your pack jobs to the folks.

Also you can now see why Mr.Campellone likes volutes.
    Actually you get very used to them and become a nice thumb anchor when you are playing your 1st fret chords.

Gibson headstocks are popsicle sticks but I sure love the look of a stinger.
    Here are some stock pics of my packing in the case - semi-firm padding above and below the peghead - soft, thin padding where the bridge would be (just enough to keep the strings off the top) - thin firm pad over the pickup and under the tailpiece, and a semi-firm pad on each side of the lower bout (filling the void in that area should prevent the guitar's top from impacting the inside of the case lid). I make the two lower bout pads from rolled up half-corrugated material, but you could substitute crumpled newspaper. Also, for nitro finishes, NO bubble wrap touching the guitar - heat can cause an interaction and mar the finish.

Wesmo sale-img_4979_1-jpgWesmo sale-img_4980_1-jpgWesmo sale-img_4978_1-jpgWesmo sale-img_7715_1-jpg

User Info Menu

Here are some stock pics of my packing in the case - semi-firm padding above and below the peghead - soft, thin padding where the bridge would be (just enough to keep the strings off the top) - thin firm pad over the pickup and under the tailpiece, and a semi-firm pad on each side of the lower bout (filling the void in that area should prevent the guitar's top from impacting the inside of the case lid). I make the two lower bout pads from rolled up half-corrugated material, but you could substitute crumpled newspaper. Also, for nitro finishes, NO bubble wrap touching the guitar - heat can cause an interaction and mar the finish.

Wesmo sale-img_4979_1-jpgWesmo sale-img_4980_1-jpgWesmo sale-img_4978_1-jpgWesmo sale-img_7715_1-jpg
    Thanks Mark. And don't forget - once packed and latched, the case is then packed in a cardboard box. Again, no voids, with the spaces between the case and the box filled with either packing peanuts, rolled up newspapers, or both.

Make any corrections Mark and thanks .

Dennis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Thanks Mark. And don't forget - once packed and latched, the case is then packed in a cardboard box. Again, no voids, with the spaces between the case and the box filled with either packing peanuts, rolled up newspapers, or both.

Make any corrections Mark and thanks .

Dennis
    Right - very important to have 1 - 2" of padding on top and back of the case when it goes in the box.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    It broke my heart. I just came out of mourning for the loss of Joe D's two L-5WM. I am now finally able to speak, find my voice, say something. Vinny, you gotta find yourself a new zipcode pronto. What did you do to the UPS and FedEx guys on the Bay Area beat in your previous lives? I can't believe the luck of those Gibson archies. How many? I count at least 5, starting with the Tal Farlow ASB. Is the gravity different in your zip? An intense warp of space-time? Some crazy shit science experiment going on at Lawrence-Livermore?

You know, I think Mark Campagnolo Campellone had better deliver the Cameo to you personally...on a mountain bicycle built for two. Going to Vinny's? All bets are off.

Joe D, I hope you are made whole. I just can't believe what I am seeing.
    Hi My Good Man,
    Sorry this messed you up so much. It has had a pretty bad effect on me too. But you know, I am approaching this much in the way I approach everything else in my life right now. I want to be on this Earth for a long time to enjoy my life. So there is no sense in getting worked up about it. I will deal with it as it comes. As long as my wife and my son are not harmed, then everything is gonna be alright.
    This guitar was not shipped to Vinny in San Fran. it was sold to another forum member who has elected to say silent and I respect that. He got his money back minutes after he told me about the broken headstock and thankfully he is not charging me rent for the box sitting in his Foyer!
    Everything is gonna be alright.
    Thank You Jabbs. You will always be my boy.
    JD

User Info Menu

Right - very important to have 1 - 2" of padding on top and back of the case when it goes in the box.
    There goes Mark being Mark again. 6 guitars up on the rack, answering the phone everytime it rings and giving everyone supreme customer service, even if they are not customers. And he will NOT be Late on his promises.. Mark, Vinnys been saying it all along and I TOTALLY agree. You are totally one of a kind. The Elvis of Guitar builders.
    I'm glad I've gotten to know you a little bit sir. Its an honor. I cant wait to take a box from you, hand you some of my Clam Sauce and give you hug..
    Joe D

User Info Menu

My profuse Apologies to Vinny, the Vincent Price of guitar horror-a little snap will do ya.

Joe D, you are a prince anongst men. You make me want to be an Italian, too. Well, I have often been called Machiavellian without the smarts. Sorta dumb Niccolo.

Nobody should be conveying any Gibson guitar in that hardshell TKL case. A semi-rigid gigbag like the Reunion Blues Voyager with plenty of give is far safer for shipping, in a properly padded shipping box. That's my take on TKL cases.

User Info Menu

Jabbs,
    We love you just the way you are..
    And yes, I 1000% agree on the case thing. I prefer my foamcore (polyfoam) plush lined case Gator jumbo acoustic case for transporting my guitar. It’s almost weightless and has enough give to “take” the shocks better.
    My GJS and other L5 travels with me all the time and always rides in the Polyfoam case.
    Stay you Jabbs, stay Jabby.
    JD

User Info Menu

Joe, are you going to have it repaired by the same luthier that repaired Boo Boo? I hope Fed Ex makes good on this and it all works out for you. What a shame. But it heartening to hear you talk about the things that really matter the most.

User Info Menu

Mark, hey buddy how are you?
    If I get to keep the guitar after the resolution, i will ask FedEx to ship it to Mr Campellone.
    Ronaldo Orlandoni, even in his mid eighties would still do a great Job, but I’d like to have something that Mark worked on. It would be an honor.
    Thanks for the nice things you said.
    JD
    Last edited by Max405; 02-21-2024 at 07:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Just an aside, I believe Manzer tapes her bridge bases in place, but removes the saddles.

Joe--

I just read through the whole thread and like our fellow forum members I am basically more upset than you are over the headstock snap(s).

The way you go about things matches the harmony of your chord melody arrangements. I don't know you personally, but you must be a great human being to be around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Minor Seven Flat Five
    Joe--
    I just read through the whole thread and like our fellow forum members I am basically more upset than you are over the headstock snap(s).
    The way you go about things matches the harmony of your chord melody arrangements. I don't know you personally, but you must be a great human being to be around.
    Aww, thanks m7b5. I really appreciate it.
    I haven’t always been like I am now. As I’ve gotten older and more devoted to my family and my faith, I have mellowed a bit.
    A very bad road rage incident (not my 1st) taught me a very valuable lesson. I like people more now because I accepted myself. Nothing to prove. Just more deciplined in the eyes of my God.
    Changed my life for sure.
    Thank you buddy.
    Joe D