The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

So I took this guitar in on trade last year. As much as I like it, I am putting it out there to trade for something that suits my style a little more. I was told that this guitar was laminate top when I bought it. If they said it was a carved top, I would have never questioned it. It is that well made. I once had a Sadowsky Jim Hall model and I would compare it very favorably to that- plus it is all Hand Made in the US by a master luthier; whereas the Sadowskys are MIJ and the set up and fretwork are done by Roger as I understand. This guitar would be well suited for a jazzer that wanted the archtop sound, but did not want to stress about the top cracks and fragility that you risk with a traditional archtop. Some trade ideas would be a Gibson ES-5, Tal Farlow, or Something Similar. I'd also welcome a Martin OM or OOO-42. Small bodied Gibson acoustic or the right boutique guitar are other options. +/- cash either way is fine $5K.
    Preview attachment IMG_2807.jpeg

Preview attachment IMG_2808.jpeg

IMG_2808.jpeg
    948 KB
    Preview attachment IMG_2809.jpeg

The Moll John Pizzarelli model is the ultimate jazz box! Designed in collaboration with jazz performer John Pizzarelli, this guitar features a laminated Spruce top mated to Flame Maple back and sides for an amazing airy tone that translates wonderfully when you plug in thanks to the floating Kent Armstrong pickup. The three-piece Maple neck meets the body at the 14th fret and is topped with a 22 fret bound Ebony fingerboard. Includes: Original Hardshell Case

• 5 lbs. 2 oz.
    • Transparent Amber Finish
    • Laminated Spruce Top
    • Flame Maple Back and Sides
    • Three Piece Flame Maple Neck
    • Ebony Fingerboard
    • 25.5" Scale Length
    • 1 11/16" " Nut Width
    • 12" Radius
    • Floating Kent Armstrong Mini Humbucker Pickup
    • Pickguard-Mounted Volume Control
    • Gold Schaller Tuners with Ebony Buttons
    • Ebony Bridge and Tailpiece
    • Bone Nut
    • Multi-Ply White and Black Binding

2007 W.E. Moll John Pizzarelli Model Archtop Electric Guitar Transparent Amber | Reverb
    Last edited by bopbluze; 03-25-2024 at 02:53 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The only JP Molls I've seen were all 7 strings, which is what he plays, what I need, and the only version on the Moll website. The Reverb post to which you linked is a 6 string, and there are a lot of misidentified guitars on Reverb. Is yours a 7 or is there also a 6 string JP?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    The only JP Molls I've seen were all 7 strings, which is what he plays, what I need, and the only version on the Moll website. The Reverb post to which you linked is a 6 string, and there are a lot of misidentified guitars on Reverb. Is yours a 7 or is there also a 6 string JP?
    ..and past the 9 year mark for the Reverb listing...

Hi guys- it is indeed a John Pizzarelli 6- String. Please let me know if you have any other questions

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    ..and past the 9 year mark for the Reverb listing...
    Yes, it's all i could find. Apparently not to many of these floating around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bopbluze
    Yes, it's all i could find. Apparently not to many of these floating around.
    So the Reverb listing is not for the specific guitar you are selling?

Edit: I see that you mentioned this in your original post.

User Info Menu

Hi guys- it is indeed a John Pizzarelli 6- String. Please let me know if you have any other questions
    Thanks, but I've played only 7s for about 30 years. I'd love to replace the Ibanez AF207 I bought new with a laminated Moll for gigging, but I haven't found a good used one and I don't want to spend the cost of a new one.

Yours is undoubtedly a great guitar. GLWTS!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Thanks, but I've played only 7s for about 30 years. I'd love to replace the Ibanez AF207 I bought new with a laminated Moll for gigging, but I haven't found a good used one and I don't want to spend the cost of a new one.

Yours is undoubtedly a great guitar. GLWTS!
    I'm guessing you mean the cost of a new 7 string by someone other than Moll. He passed last year but hadn't been building for yrs.

I did not know Bill passed away. Thank you for letting me know. May his memory be a blessing.
    For those interested, his site is still up, and more info on his impeccable work can be found here.
    https://mollinst.com/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I'm guessing you mean the cost of a new 7 string by someone other than Moll. He passed last year but hadn't been building for yrs.
    I knew he was gone and hadn't made any for awhile. Sorry, I should have been more specific - I meant a new Unger Pizzarelli 7. I discussed one with Dale Unger last year and had posted about it. But I don't want to spend over 5 grand for another guitar at my age when I have 3 wonderful archtops. I'd just like to replace the Ibanez with a laminated 7 that has a better acoustic tone, if I can do it for the current value of the Ibby (which I can sell easily) plus 2 grand or so.

I've loved the Ibanez since I bought it new almost 30 years ago. I put a Benedetto B7 in it, and the amplified tone is great for gigs. It'll do thunky, but with the tone pot up it's bright and fairly woody. I'll probably have it until I die, though. I've looked at several used laminated 7s in the right price range, and all needed many hundreds of dollars worth of work. That's how I ended up talking to Dale about a new one. I found a decent laminated Unger 7 for which the owner was asking $3500. When I drove a few hours with the money and intent to buy it, it turned out to need new frets, board work and probably a neck reset. So I called Dale to ask if he'd do it and he suggested that I'd be spending the cost of a new basic American Dream 7 and could get a new Pizzarelli 7 string from him for $6500.

Offers?

User Info Menu

Offers?
    We don't do offers on the forum if you want to sell this guitar put a price up and pictures would help. No I am not at all interested in the guitar just telling you post a price and be done with it.

I have a price posted. Had thought there were pics, but I guess not- will repost

Would love to trade towards an L-5!

User Info Menu

Pictures of the guitar as it is today rather than an old Music Zoo photo that appears to have come from Bill Moll's web site would be helpful.

Bill Moll built me a guitar which was a twin that he was building in parallel with one for John Pizzarelli. I'm sure I got the lesser of the two when they were finished but mine was immaculate and I loved it. The later John Pizzarelli model was smaller than the one I (and JP) got in that build but I'm sure they are great guitars.

Here is the one built for me as it is today, available to purchase at a music store in Atherns Greece. I sold it years ago via archtop.com
    Bill Moll John Pizzarelli-bill-moll-express-19-png
    Moll talked me and JP into building a 19 inch express model. It was very nice but too big.
    Last edited by WilliamScott; 04-02-2024 at 12:13 PM. Reason: add photo

User Info Menu

I can’t see the pics which require a gmail account.

User Info Menu

According to Reverb, this listing has ended.

The pictures I posted were taken by me. The pictures on the reverb site are only, as I stated in the listing, as reference.
    Please let me know if you would like additional pics or have any further questions/comments.
    Thanks for your interest,
    Barry

User Info Menu

The pictures I posted were taken by me. The pictures on the reverb site are only, as I stated in the listing, as reference.
    Please let me know if you would like additional pics or have any further questions/comments.
    Thanks for your interest,
    Barry
    I can't see any of your pics. I am asked to register for a gmail account. Please insert them in the thread. Thanks.

User Info Menu

pm sent cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstove
    I can't see any of your pics. I am asked to register for a gmail account. Please insert them in the thread. Thanks.
    just get a gmail account

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
    just get a gmail account
    Not only would I recommend Gmail be avoided over privacy concerns, but I do have a gmail acct (not in active use) and the picture links still don't work. Some odd Gmail error generated when clicked.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Not only would I recommend Gmail be avoided over privacy concerns, but I do have a gmail acct (not in active use) and the picture links still don't work. Some odd Gmail error generated when clicked.
    Privacy issues? Gimme a break.

I GUARANTEE there are no privacy related risks with having a Gmail account. You sure paranoid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstove
    Please insert them in the thread. Thanks.
    Yup. Easy enough on this forum too; just drop them into the post editor thingy and you'll be told if they are accepted or not. If not it's either because they're in an unsupported format or too big; both easy enough to remedy.

(No privacy concerns from using a Google service? Sure, if you don't care about such issues, or are very strict what (little) you use it for and how...)

User Info Menu

I have a Google account and the links that bopbluze posted are all inactive. This thread is 7 weeks old and his lack of response to inquiries is cause for concern.