Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pretty ambitious!

User Info Menu

PSA as in a warning, I presume?

User Info Menu

Based on the shop photos that neck repair didn't look all that great to me. And I'm a fan and customer of Gryphon's repair work.

User Info Menu

That color and a headstock repair. Sub 2000 ought to do it.

I'm a fan of Gryphon. Big fan actually having bought a couple of guitars from them in the last couple of years. However, PSA in this case just means, 'this is interesting..'. Even if I tracked the archtop market I would not be making recommendations given where prices have gone. On the other hand.. the neck repair, which may be solid, does looks kind of gnarly. And I'm not all that fond of burgundy on guitars. Still.. seemed the forum would find it thought provoking.

PS.. If they had listed it at $2000, I would have bought it. Headstock repair guitars are a risk, but if you can get a great deal they can be solid players.
    Last edited by Spook410; 02-08-2024 at 02:55 AM.

User Info Menu

My friend who is a woodworker said the glued join of two pieces of wood will be always be stronger than the original wood join.

Why would we be concerned ever about a headstock repair. Chances are that if you drop it again and the headstock is going to break again (that's on you) it won't be at the site of the original repair.

Am I wrong?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
    My friend who is a woodworker said the glued join of two pieces of wood will be always be stronger than the original wood join.

Why would we be concerned ever about a headstock repair. Chances are that if you drop it again and the headstock is going to break again (that's on you) it won't be at the site of the original repair.

Am I wrong?
    I always wondered the same thing. Does someone have some horror stories to tell about a guitar with this issue?

User Info Menu

Am I wrong?
    There's been countless threads on headstock repairs here and elsewhere.
    If it's well done it should be fine.
    My issue is it severely devalues the guitar, and are a very tough sale down the road unless drastically discounted.
    My main gigging guitar purchased 35 yrs ago and used in thousands of jobs has a perfectly done nearly invisible repair and paid for itself in my first year of ownership. That said I'd almost never consider buying another guitar w a headstock repair unless it was priced irresistibly low.

User Info Menu

Why would we be concerned ever about a headstock repair. Chances are that if you drop it again and the headstock is going to break again (that's on you) it won't be at the site of the original repair. Am I wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    I always wondered the same thing.
    You're applying common sense to a problem which is not entirely common-sensible.

a) Not all neck breaks are equal.
    Not all neck break repairs are equal
    In fact, some headstock repairs are ticking bombs.
    And you can't always tell by looking.
    So there is some chance you're buying a guitar with a lower expected life.
    So you don't want to pay as much.

b) Some headstock repairs are invisible. Others are festering sores.
    Lots of people prefer to pay more for squeaky-clean looking guitars.
    Phrased otherwise, guitars which aren't squeaky-clean often sell slower and lower.

c) A different angle on the previous point:
    Let's let's consider whether some guitars are . . . dare I say it . . . overpriced. Just as a notion.
    Y'know, maybe paying $6,000 for a fairly new plywood archtop is . . . dare I say it . . . hard to swallow.
    The ones that aren't case queens are even harder to convince people to pay for.
    Maybe the ones that aren't case queens are actually . . . more realistically priced. Dare I say it.

Personally, it doesn't bother me. I'm used to it. Buying grungier or hinkier guitars is how I've been able to experience most of the American guitars I've owned.
    But as we all know, most people benefit from not being me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    You're applying common sense to a problem which is not entirely common-sensible.

a) Not all neck breaks are equal.
    Not all neck break repairs are equal
    In fact, some headstock repairs are ticking bombs.
    And you can't always tell by looking.
    So there is some chance you're buying a guitar with a lower expected life.
    So you don't want to pay as much.

b) Some headstock repairs are invisible. Others are festering sores.
    Lots of people prefer to pay more for squeaky-clean looking guitars.
    Phrased otherwise, guitars which aren't squeaky-clean often sell slower and lower.

c) A different angle on the previous point:
    Let's let's consider whether some guitars are . . . dare I say it . . . overpriced. Just as a notion.
    Y'know, maybe paying $6,000 for a fairly new plywood archtop is . . . dare I say it . . . hard to swallow.
    The ones that aren't case queens are even harder to convince people to pay for.
    Maybe the ones that aren't case queens are actually . . . more realistically priced. Dare I say it.

Personally, it doesn't bother me. I'm used to it. Buying grungier or hinkier guitars is how I've been able to experience most of the American guitars I've owned.
    But as we all know, most people benefit from not being me.
    Lol, great post.

User Info Menu

Here is a broken headstock repaired by Mark Campellone.

Tal Farlow at Gryphon 50.. Repaired Headstock Crack-img_1474-jpgTal Farlow at Gryphon 50.. Repaired Headstock Crack-img_1473-jpgTal Farlow at Gryphon 50.. Repaired Headstock Crack-img_1471-jpgTal Farlow at Gryphon 50.. Repaired Headstock Crack-img_1477-jpg

User Info Menu

Am I wrong?
    Gluing edge to edge which is what a headstock repair is, is actually the weakest way to glue 2 pieces of wood. And whether it's stronger than the original joint is irrelevant since there was not joint to begin with in the original. Epoxy is stronger than wood in theory but whether the edge to edge joint is strong enough to hold and whether it transmit vibrations in the same way is anyone's guess.

That's a $2k guitar IMO...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    I always wondered the same thing. Does someone have some horror stories to tell about a guitar with this issue?
    A friend of mine had a repaired Les Paul head stock break. It was repair with epoxy. A couple years into the repair, he bumped the headstock and the joint failed. I agree that not all repairs are equal. No way to tell but I wouldn't pay $4k for a headstock repaired guitar.

User Info Menu

Some may say a $2000 guitar, but I guarantee they will get at least $3000 for it, likely somewhat more. At the current rates on Tals, the asking price would not surprise me at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Some may say a $2000 guitar, but I guarantee they will get at least $3000 for it, likely somewhat more. At the current rates on Tals, the asking price would not surprise me at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm with you. NOTHING on reverb; used, electric archtop, $1900 - $2100 by Gibson as of this post.

I wouldn't let it go for $2k if it were mine. Looks like average asking for non-damaged is $6k. $4k discount for headstock damage??

User Info Menu

I'm with you. NOTHING on reverb; used, electric archtop, $1900 - $2100 by Gibson as of this post.

I wouldn't let it go for $2k if it were mine. Looks like average asking for non-damaged is $6k. $4k discount for headstock damage??
    Considering that you can find used Tals in the $4500 range, i would vote thumb's down on this. I know of 2 instruments that are going for or have gone for that range in the last 3 months.

User Info Menu

This one was on a Forum thread months back, with 4 in the cart, not any more.

Gibson Tal Farlow 1986 - 2015 - Sunburst | Reverb

User Info Menu

I've got no skin in the game, but here's another thought...

The asking price on this Tal may be at $2k if it's on consignment at Gryphon. Obviously that impacts the asking price since they get a percentage of the sale, and any offers are relayed to whomever is consigning the instrument.

Interested parties should consider tossing out an offer to Gryphon.

User Info Menu

Back to repairing broken wood: not all breaks are at all equal. A clean break has a much better chance than a splintery one. And will be tighter and look a lot better to boot. Getting splinters to line up for maximum surface contact doesn't happen easily.

Properly glued and clean wood joints are plenty strong though. The instruments couldn't exist in the first place without them.