The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Anyone know anything of this guitar? Looks nice, has a decent looking case. There appears to be a label inside but the picture is blurry. There is also a nice looking fender deluxe amp up for bid. Could get a whole jazz rig.
    Custom Made Jazz Archtop Acoustic Electric Guitar W/ Hard Case Untested | ShopGoodwill.com
    Nice mystery archtop Shopgoodwill-screenshot_20240206-072557_firefox-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks pretty nice

User Info Menu

Seems like it could be a Galloup school build, but that’s very hard to say for sure. Interesting find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Big fan of SGW.com here.
    My last guitar purchase came from SGW.
    A few points of note:

a. Nobody at GoodWill knows much about guitars generally or archtops in particular.
    They don't know what they're looking at so they don't know what to describe.
    By the standards of SGW this listing is about as good and as helpful as they get.

Q. "Is it solid wood?"
    A. "Sure is! It's definitely not liquid wood."

b. There is a notable tendency for overbidding on SGW.com.
    That's because . . .

c. Whatever you may or may not think about GoodWill nationally, a whole bunch of your purchase price actually goes to help people who need it.
    And while I wholly support my excellent local Mom & Pop Shop that's not quite as true over there.

So yeah, I overpaid for that 1961 Guild StarFire I with the black Rustoleum "refin" . . . but I am mighty happy to have it and I know the money went to the right place. Besides, if all goes according to plan I will get thousands of days of satisfaction from it, yielding an entirely fair price for value received.

Bid early and often, JG.be !!

EDIT: Oh, alright, here you go:

User Info Menu

My first guess (and it's only a guess) would be Chinese made, perhaps Wu or Yunzhi. Perhaps a different builder/factory. It's impossible to tell from that one photo. If it's a Wu, it's probably a rather nice guitar, worth more than US$1,000. His prices for new start at $1500, or did. They may be higher now. I haven't owned or played guitars from Yunzhi or others, but I hear they're well-made, even the cheaper ones. They sometimes need a little work to be made perfectly playable, but not always.

Wilkinson everything, I'd bet on Chinese made. Unfortunately, no label photo. Someone splurged on a Cedar Creek case. Spruce top, very nice back and side woods. I would bet that some setup work, if necessary, could make that into an excellent guitar, if it isn't one already.

User Info Menu

I think its definitely musoo have a search on eBay they are about £1000 to have one built.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    Big fan of SGW.com here.
    My last guitar purchase came from SGW.
    A few points of note:

Q. "Is it solid wood?"
    A. "Sure is! It's definitely not liquid wood."
    This has had me smiling all day

Quote Originally Posted by Heybopper
    I think its definitely musoo have a search on eBay they are about £1000 to have one built.
    Now there is one of the rare merle haggard teles that go for $8000 on there.

Merle Haggard Fender Custom Shop Tuff Dog Tele Electric Guitar Tested | ShopGoodwill.com

User Info Menu

One of the Chinese builds, I'd bet. I recognize the workmanship around the F holes and Wilkenson fittings and the Chinese stock hardware are the real giveaways. The headstock is one of many options you can choose from from the Yunzhei builders, so that's my guess.
    But you can pretty much get all of the above builders (Yunzhei, Wu, Musoo (really overlooked and deserving of wider recognition)).
    The absence of a logo AND the absence of an inner label, the quality of the wood and that widely used generic Chinese tailpiece puts this solidly in the Beijing school of builders.

All marketed at about or below 2K and IMHO worth much more.
    Don't pay a lot. Expect to be shocked. It'd be nice to know which of these it actually is so you could know what a good bid is for a no-wait Chinese hand built. If it were Musoo, you could get one from them for about a grand and a 3 month wait. Delivered. If it were a Miss Lora associated guitar, the wait and the bottom line might be in the 1.5 to 2x range from her directly.

Just a guideline for my guess of what it's fair to bid if you're interested.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brian859
    Now there is one of the rare merle haggard teles that go for $8000 on there.

Merle Haggard Fender Custom Shop Tuff Dog Tele Electric Guitar Tested | ShopGoodwill.com
    About 8k new, 4-5k used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, something strang happened with that tele auction. It had several days to go if I recall correctly and it ended with it stating reserve not met.

User Info Menu

Almost certainly a Yunzhi. Good guitars. Lousy hardware. Pickup and controls will be throwaway. Carving will likely be good. Finish.. maybe OK, maybe not. If it were just out of the factory I would say whatever the problems, they can be addressed. As a Goodwill donation guitar, there might be something serious like a twisty neck warp or brace problems. I might bid on it up to a grand or so just for the exotic wood. Pretty risky and in any case I don't trust Goodwill to do a proper job of packing for winter shipping so it's a never mind. Interesting guitar though.

For anyone interested, it went for exactly $1000, which is unusual being a good round number like that. Maybe if it was someone here, they can report on itNice mystery archtop Shopgoodwill-screenshot_20240210-050615_firefox-jpg.

Nice score. I just wanted to say Goodwill may not be the great "charity" we all know. The local Goodwill "chapters" are individually owned and it depends on each local GW on how good of a charity they really are. It has come to light many Goodwill owners make substantial personal incomes (like $800,000/yearly) while paying employees minimum wage or less,...all while still remaining a "non-profit". With that said please don't poo-poo on the local Mom & Pop businesses as they are the cornerstone of American democratic capitalism. Ma & Pa have needs too,...like feeding and educating their children and this is a "good cause" too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarra-Loco
    Nice score. I just wanted to say Goodwill may not be the great "charity" we all know. The local Goodwill "chapters" are individually owned and it depends on each local GW on how good of a charity they really are. It has come to light many Goodwill owners make substantial personal incomes (like $800,000/yearly) while paying employees minimum wage or less,...all while still remaining a "non-profit". With that said please don't poo-poo on the local Mom & Pop businesses as they are the cornerstone of American democratic capitalism. Ma & Pa have needs too,...like feeding and educating their children and this is a "good cause" too.
    I posted a similar response to a Goodwill thread and was met w negativity.
    Oh well, ces't la vie.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I posted a similar response to a Goodwill thread and was met w negativity.
    Oh well, ces't la vie.
    Yeah, I remember that, and went to Wiki to look it up and sure enough, it was just like you said.
    I've learned that when you say something online that upsets people's belief systems, they turn on you, en masse!