The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

I'm considering a 16" L5 (maybe L12?). I can't seem to find what I'm looking for at the usual stops, can anyone recommend anything for someone only interested in continental U.S. (maybe Ontario, Canada).

Usual Stops:

• Here
    • djangobooks.com
    • archtop.com
    • Rudy's
    • Folkway
    • Elderly
    • Chicago Music Exchange
    • Retrofret
    • Craigslist (you never know)
    • Facebook Marketplace
    • Premiere Guitars
    • The Fret Shop
    • Norm's Rare (super expensive)
    • Sylvan Music
    • Guitar Center (don't laugh, they have lots of used stuff)

--------------
    Added:

• Bernunzio Uptown Music
    • 12fret
    • Gruhn's
    • Carter's
    • Laurence Wexer
    • Lark Street Music
    • That Rhythm Man
    • Fretted Instrurment Workshop
    • Guitars 'n Jazz
    • Music Emporium
    • House of Guitars
    • Rich Severson Guitars for Sale
    • TR Crandall
    • Matt Umanov
    • Eric Schoenberg

Not interested in Ebay unless it's local.

I'm prolly missing a site or two I visit if I can remember but, is there a major site I'm missing? Also open to recommended stores local to you that have a web presence.

I'm near Detroit (say nice things)
    Last edited by pawlowski6132; 02-05-2024 at 03:46 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Add Bernunzio Uptown Music to your list!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
    I'm considering a 16" L5 (maybe L12?). I can't seem to find what I'm looking for at the usual stops, can anyone recommend anything for someone only interested in continental U.S. (maybe Ontario, Canada).

Usual Stops:

• Here
    • djangobooks.com
    • archtop.com
    • Rudy's
    • Folkway
    • Elderly
    • Chicago Music Exchange
    • Retrofret
    • Craigslist (you never know)
    • Facebook Marketplace
    • Premiere Guitars
    • The Fret Shop
    • Norm's Rare (super expensive)
    • Sylvan Music
    • Guitar Center (don't laugh, they have lots of used stuff)

Not interested in Ebay unless it's local.

I'm prolly missing a site or two I visit if I can remember but, is there a major site I'm missing? Also open to recommended stores local to you that have a web presence.

I'm near Detroit (say nice things)
    Gruhns..and nothing but nice things to say about Detroit, but poor, heart-breaking Detroit Lions team...

User Info Menu

Laurence Wexer, Ltd. - Fine Fretted Instruments

Carter Vintage Guitars | Carter Vintage Guitars

Maybe Lark Street Music ...

Larry Wexer would be a pleasant ' introduce yourself ' call.....He's a good guy and would be glad to help....

And don't be discouraged by what looks like the long list that you've made...IMHO, you could probably easily remove 1/3 or more of those names.....Some of those particular dealers haven't had any collector jazz boxes to sell for years, and probably don't really want any either......Again, MHO of course......Maybe as good an indication would be to look at how many they have now, and don't be surprised if they don't have any.

Also, check out Jonathan Stout's posts here and his YT vid's...he shopped for an L-5 last year ?, and played several in different dealers and may be another source...

Then I'd also keep in mind that if you start to tire of the chase, and / or those too-common tedious sellers who own these L-5's, there are current master luthiers making instruments which pay homage to these vintage Gibsons. Bryant Trenier for one.

Lots of good luck and hope this helps !

User Info Menu

I’m just going to point out that I have more archtops in stock than most of the places listed. Although, like most other businesses, 16” Gibsons (L-7, L-10, L-12, L-5) don’t tend to stick around long. When I get one in stock it’s rarely around more than a couple of weeks. Often I’m not doing much more than relaying the guitar to the next owner. If you’re persistent a good one will show up though. I would recommend letting trusted dealers know you are in the market. This will improve the odds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I’m just going to point out that I have more archtops in stock than most of the places listed. Although, like most other businesses, 16” Gibsons (L-7, L-10, L-12, L-5) don’t tend to stick around long. When I get one in stock it’s rarely around more than a couple of weeks. Often I’m not doing much more than relaying the guitar to the next owner. If you’re persistent a good one will show up though. I would recommend letting trusted dealers know you are in the market. This will improve the odds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will vouch for The Rhythm Man he knows a great acoustic archtop. Some dealers go all over the place, and some get into a niche, but Chuck knows the score on a true acoustic archtop. Better give him a heads up on what you are looking for. To me the 16-inch guitars bite in a way that is bit brighter and more direct and faster. The 17 inch give your ears just bit more time and to me show a better bass presence. I can say your taste are specific and very good.

User Info Menu

Buy from Chuck!

User Info Menu

Also, Fretted Instrument Workshop in Western Mass. (Amherst) frequently has some older and more unusual archtops. It has been run by the same guy for 50 years or so ... Might be worth a call.

User Info Menu

No affiliation, but try:

The House of Guitars(R) – "The Store That Ate Your Brain" Ask for Curt.

Rich Severson:

Guitars For Sale

Good luck!

User Info Menu

TR Crandall (I don't see one on their site now, but maybe worth checking in with them and letting them know you're looking).
    Matt Umanov, ditto. (His brick and mortar shop is no longer active but he still deals online somewhat).

User Info Menu

Eric Schoenberg occasionally has some. I once was there when he had three dot neck L5s for sale (and I got one of them)

I thought it would be helpful to add all the great suggestions into my original post.

Also, in preparation for the new L5, I will be likely listing something from the below list over the next month or so:

• 1952 L5C
    • 1948 Super 400
    • 1935 Epiphone Triumph
    • 1907 Style 0 - 18"
    • 1936 L10 (maybe)

User Info Menu

I think if I were to buy a guitar with an L5 price tag, I’d find the instrument online and spend a few hundred more on a short trip to see and play it before buying.

There are always a lot of great guitars for sale in NYC. It’d also be a great place to hear some great live jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    I think if I were to buy a guitar with an L5 price tag, I’d find the instrument online and spend a few hundred more on a short trip to see and play it before buying.

There are always a lot of great guitars for sale in NYC. It’d also be a great place to hear some great live jazz.
    There are a lot of guitars here, but not a lot of 16" acoustic L5's (most of the time, none). That's a very rare bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996

Yeah, you know I was just thinking the same thing for a few reasons, not the least of which you mention above.

User Info Menu

Good, used L5s are getting scarce. The world is a lot bigger than the USA only. Of course the L5 is a USA made guitar and the majority of L5s are to be found in the USA, but dont disregard the other parts of the world. Germany, UK, France and Japan sometimes are IMHO the countries that are wirthwhile keeping in mind.

User Info Menu

Soundpure gets some good archtops in sometimes

Soundpure.com | Audio Recording Equipment and Rare Boutique Guitars

User Info Menu

Well, there's this one for sale. I don't know anything more though 1929 Gibson L-5 Master Model Cremona Sunburst > Guitars Archtop Electric & Acoustic | Jet City Guitars, LLC

The tuners are a bit regrettable I guess. Not sure about the rest, but if it was apparently previously sold by Gruhn and has an appraisal with it I'd feel more comfortable with it. The fact that it hasn't sold yet makes me think I might be missing something, but even then it's still quite an investment.

Quote Originally Posted by ksihlanick
    Well, there's this one for sale. I don't know anything more though 1929 Gibson L-5 Master Model Cremona Sunburst > Guitars Archtop Electric & Acoustic | Jet City Guitars, LLC

The tuners are a bit regrettable I guess. Not sure about the rest, but if it was apparently previously sold by Gruhn and has an appraisal with it I'd feel more comfortable with it. The fact that it hasn't sold yet makes me think I might be missing something, but even then it's still quite an investment.
    It looks good. Decent price??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ksihlanick

the 'carved out truss rod cavity' is a major league bummer imo. why do some dealers make you ask for pics of that stuff, it too much trouble to include them in the orig ad?
    answer: no, and in this case because it probably looks pretty heinous w/the cover off which might hinder a sale.
    other than that looks ok from a quick glance.

User Info Menu

Sweetwater has a classifieds.

I bought a guitar for a student using the site, last year. It was a pleasant experience and the guitar was great.

There is a '53 right now, but I believe that will be a 17"?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
    It looks good. Decent price??
    16 inch L5's from before 1930 are quite nice and desirable but this one has a number of changes I don't like. Not having the original bridge is putting me off. I think too much money for what you get at least with that guitar. My personal preference is for the advanced 17 inch L5's. I have a 1938 and it sounds wonderful and powerful. My guess is that for $22k you can find a better deal. At that price a Dangelico lower model is an option. I see even a few L5's from the late 40's on Reverb that might fit the bill at a better price. But don't buy it through Reverb contact the person and purchase directly.

User Info Menu

This in my opinion is a far better deal and could be had maybe for less. Don't know where you live but if you can drive it in a day that is best way to go. Elderlys is a decent place for sure.
    Gibson L-5 Archtop Acoustic Guitar (1937) – Elderly Instruments