The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

This is a 2002 Comins Classic being offered for sale. It’s 17” at lower bout with 3-1/8 sides, with a 1.810 nut width. The neck is a soft D shape and it plays effortlessly like all Comins guitars. The tone is warm and woody with perfect balance across the fingerboard .The neck is straight and frets show little wear. The Arches are gracefully carved without any deformation The guitar has a few marks, most notably on the top near the tail pc. The remaining portion of top is clean. The back has one dot sized mark, and otherwise clean. A little finish chipping on side of neck, and little finish chip on headstock. When I received the guitar several years ago, it arrived with a top fracture ( not disclosed to me) under the tone and volume control, and I had my good friend John Monteleone re glue this area - which is all it needed. It’s been stable for many years. John said it the best sounding Comins he’s ever heard.

I consider it’s overall condition excellent minus. Overall it’s a gorgeous looking and sounding guitar. All of the disclosed marks were present when I purchased the guitar - and its been kept in my temperature and humidity controlled room for years. Asking price is $5700 - plus shipping - which is a very attractive price for this guitar.

International buyers welcome , but must provide the bar code label - no exceptions.

Payment is certified check or wire only . I’m in the NY area if someone would like to come play it.

No worries - I’m a long standing member and have extensive experience with Archtop guitars.

Here are some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by QAman; 01-26-2024 at 04:45 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

A few more pics

A few more pics

User Info Menu

That’s a beautiful guitar. Is the bridge compensated and if so, is the bridge saddle on backwards? I zoomed in, but I couldn’t tell.

Quote Originally Posted by JakePearlman View Post
    That’s a beautiful guitar. Is the bridge compensated and if so, is the bridge saddle on backwards? I zoomed in, but I couldn’t tell.
    Jake - the bridge is compensated. I attached a pic. This is an extraordinary sounding instrument with a warm pianistic quality to the
    timbre.

Here is another angle of saddle

User Info Menu

QA is an incredibly trustworthy seller who has a wealth of knowledge at the highest levels of archtop history.
    He is one of the rare collectors who is also an extraordinary player. So when says it’s good, it’s good. No doubtski, Steve is the real deal.
    Best of luck with the sale, and buyers, this is a total risk-free buy.
    Joe D

Quote Originally Posted by Max405 View Post
    QA is an incredibly trustworthy seller who has a wealth of knowledge at the highest levels of archtop history.
    He is one of the rare collectors who is also an extraordinary player. So when says it’s good, it’s good. No doubtski, Steve is the real deal.
    Best of luck with the sale, and buyers, this is a total risk-free buy.
    Joe D
    Thanks for the kind words Joe - greatly appreciated. You are an extraordinary player - and I’m looking forward to your next video.

User Info Menu

Yes, very reasonable price for a fine Comins instrument. Is the nut width really 1.81"? Also, what is the neck width at fret 12? If possible, could you measure the neck DEPTH at frets 1 and 10? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Topper Roth View Post
    Yes, very reasonable price for a fine Comins instrument. Is the nut width really 1.81"? Also, what is the neck width at fret 12? If possible, could you measure the neck DEPTH at frets 1 and 10? Thanks!
    The nut is indeed 1.810. The fingerboard width at 12th fret is 2.110, depth of fingerboard cross section at 1st fret ( measured to fingerboard ) is .815, and at 10th fret .925. The neck is very comfortable. Think of it as a bit wider than 1-3/4.

User Info Menu

Thanks very much for such a prompt response! Unfortunately for me, that neck's a little too wide and thick for my arthritic left thumb at this point - beautiful piece and I'm sure it sounds great, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Topper Roth View Post
    Thanks very much for such a prompt response! Unfortunately for me, that neck's a little too wide and thick for my arthritic left thumb at this point - beautiful piece and I'm sure it sounds great, too!
    My pleasure - thanks for the interest.

For those wondering the scale length is 25”.

User Info Menu

Code name QAman is a guarantee for quality.
    The neck width is ideal for me, but the distance, tax and transport to EU is my main problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Fal Tarlow View Post
    Code name QAman is a guarantee for quality.
    The neck width is ideal for me, but the distance, tax and transport to EU is my main problem.
    Fal Tarlow
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. I entirely understand the cost considerations - they add up quickly. Not sure if you ever played a Comins hand built guitar, but I can tell you the set up is superb. I was playing the guitar for a bit yesterday, and its very comfortable - and actually perfect for those who play fingerstyle Jazz.

Thanks for your interest.

User Info Menu

Someone is going to get a thoroughly vetted and perfectly set up Comins Classic at a very reasonable price from Steve. Whoever buys this guitar is going to be very happy with the transaction and the guitar itself. These Comins carved archtop guitars don't come up for sale very often. GLWTS, Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Eisele View Post
    Someone is going to get a thoroughly vetted and perfectly set up Comins Classic at a very reasonable price from Steve. Whoever buys this guitar is going to be very happy with the transaction and the guitar itself. These Comins carved archtop guitars don't come up for sale very often. GLWTS, Steve!
    Thanks for the very kind words Bill - very much appreciated. I rank Bill Comins hand built guitars at the same level of any Buscarino or Benedetto . I’ve owned them all. This guitar exudes a level of very fine workmanship - which is typical of Bills guitars. The top and back are tuned in such a manner as to produce a very warm creamy / round jazz blues tone - and the musical response to the lightest touch is just fabulous.

A Comins guitar is not the typical “ tight and bright “ sounding experience one encounters with many acoustic Archtops - it’s different in a very refined way.

To get a good idea of a fine sounding Comins - I highly suggest that anyone interested give a listen to some Steve Herberman YT videos.

User Info Menu

I’ll second your observations, Steve. Bill Comins does beautiful work. His craftsmanship is impeccable, his guitars play wonderfully, and they are fantastic acoustic instruments.

User Info Menu

GLWTS. Just out of interest, never having seen this before, what bar code label must international buyers provide?

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz View Post
    GLWTS. Just out of interest, never having seen this before, what bar code label must international buyers provide?
    The actual box label for shipment. I would provide box dims and packaged weight and the buyer selects a carrier and obtains the label from the carrier. Once the label is created - just email it to me.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Well it doesn’t get any better than this only fancier perhaps. Very attractive price,someone will be very pleased and lucky to own this beautiful instrument!

User Info Menu

Now that is a beautiful guitar! I love it.

User Info Menu

Bump for a great guitar from a great seller!

User Info Menu

Fantastic price for a genuine archtop that I’d have a very difficult time parting with!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman View Post
    To get a good idea of a fine sounding Comins - I highly suggest that anyone interested give a listen to some Steve Herberman YT videos.

He certainly loves his Comins! What a fantastic player!!!!!

2b - Steve Herberman is a fabulous player- who really showcases the sonic attributes of Bills carved guitars. A hand carved Comins is a somewhat lighter build than many Archtops - with a low frequency back and a very responsive top. The neck angle is not too steep, so you get a very warm vibrant experience, and the playability and reduced fretting resistance is quite noticeable.

As you likely know - Bill is a phenomenal guitar player and his set up work is top notch.

Since D’Aquisto Fan bumped the post-I’ve had two people interested- and now it’s “Sale Pending” .

Thanks for your participation in the post - hope all is well.