The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 44

User Info Menu

Gibson L-5 CES 1977 | Gruhn Guitars

The only issue seems to be that someone has sanded down some of the finish on the back of the neck. If I hadn't just bought an L4CES, I'd jump on this.

I wonder if this will reset the plethora of $10k-$11k L5s we are seeing listed?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Curious Jack, care to speculate why the neck might be sanded? I'm sure it happens for various reasons but haven't ever thought of doing that to a neck myself. I'm in the market for a new archtop. I've got a Wes but always wanted a CES, this is my pricepoint.

User Info Menu

Sanding down the neck is not unusual it’s often done just because people don’t like the feel of lacquer on the neck.

It’s not at all unusual for George to move a Norlin era guitar for a price that’s often below what most people are asking and this one has the sanded neck and overspray on the back. I for sure wouldn’t expect this guitar to cause a market reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

In my experience with Gruhn, their product descriptions are sparse. Beyond the known things that reduce the value of this instrument (norlin, sanded neck, overspray), I bet you would learn more about the instrument from a phone call with them. Overspray is typically indicative of other repairs. Gruhn isn't deceitful but you are expected to ask the right questions. If you want a deceitful shop, it's five min drive up 8th ave from Gruhns.

I'm with chuck on the market reset point. What you've got is wishful thinking. People are after L5s (who doesn't want the most iconic jazz guitar of all time) and the price reflects it. The prices also reflect the relative desirability of norlin era instruments, especially ones with alterations.

Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus
    Curious Jack, care to speculate why the neck might be sanded? I'm sure it happens for various reasons but haven't ever thought of doing that to a neck myself. I'm in the market for a new archtop. I've got a Wes but always wanted a CES, this is my pricepoint.
    people routinely do it to make it really smooth without the stickyness of lacquer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    people routinely do it to make it really smooth without the stickyness of lacquer.
    Jack, I like it done the old fashion way! Playing the shit out of it until smooth!I bought a '44 L7 once that had that treatment. Awesome guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Gibson L-5 CES 1977 | Gruhn Guitars

The only issue seems to be that someone has sanded down some of the finish on the back of the neck. If I hadn't just bought an L4CES, I'd jump on this.

I wonder if this will reset the plethora of $10k-$11k L5s we are seeing listed?

I recently paid quite a bit more than that for my 2005! Bought in the UK.

User Info Menu

Beautiful instrument but it probably has the factory low frets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarcarver
    Beautiful instrument but it probably has the factory low frets.
    What are the disadvantages of these low frets? Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

They make it harder to play chords cleanly. I find I need to grip with more pressure to try to achieve hearing all of the tones in a chord.

User Info Menu

And when you grip firmer you’re likely to press your fingertips into the fretboard. After a while it causes a lot of pain.

User Info Menu

Yikes

I am in Nashville this weekend with not a lot to do.

This could be interesting

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rictroll
    Yikes

I am in Nashville this weekend with not a lot to do.

This could be interesting
    Well, with that I think you've essentially committed to checking it out and providing your thoughts/review to us!

User Info Menu

If I was looking for an L-5 and I was considering the no-issues Blond L-5CES that is for sale for 10K on this forum or this one that Gruhn is asking 6.5K for, my choice would depend on several things:

Do I have the extra 3.5K in disposable cash? If not, the Gruhn guitar would be my choice.

Am I buying the guitar as a "player" where it will be out on gigs and will suffer some inevitable dings and such? If so, the Gruhn guitar would be my choice.

Am I buying the guitar as an investment and an iconic example of guitar artwork? If so the one on this forum would be my choice.

Apples and oranges, when you consider those things. The Gruhn guitar is not, IMO, indicative of a market reset.

User Info Menu

Fair or not, the late 70s-early 80s "volute era" are the least valuable years for a Gibson L-5 CES. Even the early 70s ones are worth more, despite also being in the Norlin era. Add to that the sanding and the overspray and I can see why this guitar is priced as it is. A player's grade version of the 'cheapest' L5. Not going to upset the case-queen Hutches, Crimsons, etc.

Now all that being said, could it still be an excellent playing and sounding instrument? Absolutely. In fact, I'd prefer one that's been played to one that hasn't.

For reference, the Henry J era L5s priced in the $8,000-9,000 range have sold fairly quickly (for an expensive archtop) over the past year. The ones priced at $10,000 and above seem to be having a harder time moving.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Fair or not, the late 70s-early 80s "volute era" are the least valuable years for a Gibson L-5 CES. Even the early 70s ones are worth more, despite also being in the Norlin era. Add to that the sanding and the overspray and I can see why this guitar is priced as it is. A player's grade version of the 'cheapest' L5. Not going to upset the case-queen Hutches, Crimsons, etc.

Now all that being said, could it still be an excellent playing and sounding instrument? Absolutely. In fact, I'd prefer one that's been played to one that hasn't.

For reference, the Henry J era L5s priced in the $8,000-9,000 range have sold fairly quickly (for an expensive archtop) over the past year. The ones priced at $10,000 and above seem to be having a harder time moving.
    Agree entirely but fact is plugging in through an amp this guitar could actually be better sounding. Not necessarily but it will not be too different and I would save money. Frankly not a bad buy if you cannot spare the additional coins. In my book a nice Wes is 8-10k and if I have to pay more I start looking at other options.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    The ones priced at $10,000 and above seem to be having a harder time moving.
    Over the years I've found that guitars priced 5 figures and over are a bit harder to sell than a 4 figure instrument unless particularly rare or desireable. That extra digit makes the average buyer hesistate to pull the trigger on a purchase. The air starts to thin and less buyers exist over 10K.

In a somewhat relative example, I believe this is a reason that lower line original D'Angelicos are easier to sell than the more fancy models like Excels, NYers and cutaway instruments. Easier to move a $13-15K Style A than a 20K + Excel. Over 10K is easier to swallow than 20K + for a buyer.

User Info Menu

This one has been listed on and off forever locally. It's red, looks like a nice guitar. Joyce is a very small town on the Olympic penninsula north coast west of Port Angeles. The CES model is not my cup of tea, and I enjoy playing my L7 and L5P, among other mainly acoustic/floater type guitars, so I have no interest other than looking at these pictures and following these discussions among my associates here on TGF. But if I found the CES to be my cup of tea, I think this would interest me, because the guy (or girl) selling it has dropped the price, and is still trying to sell it, which says maybe there's some wiggle room for negotiation.

Gibson L5 archtop guitar - musical instruments - by owner - sale - craigslist

This instrument is also listed on reverb fora bit more.

User Info Menu

While I'm not in the market for a 17" or even another archtop, I saw this on craigslist. Given where the seller is located and the price of the instrument, I would want him or her to produce a sales receipt for the instrument when he or she bought it. Just sayin'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ewall
    While I'm not in the market for a 17" or even another archtop, I saw this on craigslist. Given where the seller is located and the price of the instrument, I would want him or her to produce a sales receipt for the instrument when he or she bought it. Just sayin'.
    I wouldn't feel obligated to show anyone a sales receipt of anything I purchased. that's my business and no one else's.
    if someone is trying to determine if an item for sale is legit there are other ways to prove it.

User Info Menu

Not arguing but I am curious what those other ways might be? Most sales of this nature are trust-based. That being said, if you are suspicious of the provenance, what would you do?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ewall
    Not arguing but I am curious what those other ways might be? Most sales of this nature are trust-based. That being said, if you are suspicious of the provenance, what would you do?
    Most craigslist deals are done in person.
    If you're not local and unsure if someone actually owns the instrument they're selling you can ask them to send a new pic of it w a common item you choose pictured along side of it, or maybe something showing the current day etc.
    Beyond that not buying locally through a craigslist ad is risky as would any other long distance purchase w out guarantees.

User Info Menu

If I was interested in the guitar, I'd make the drive. Port Angeles and surrounds is lovely, and close enough to Seattle to make it a nice day trip. And, I don't think the location makes it any more risky than buying it from someone in the big city! In fact, I feel more likely to be robbed or mugged by someone in Seattle than PA or Joyce! Just say'n.

Peace!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    If I was interested in the guitar, I'd make the drive. Port Angeles and surrounds is lovely, and close enough to Seattle to make it a nice day trip. And, I don't think the location makes it any more risky than buying it from someone in the big city! In fact, I feel more likely to be robbed or mugged by someone in Seattle than PA or Joyce! Just say'n.

Peace!
    I feel I need to clarify what was misunderstood then I will shut up. My concern was that the instrument might have been stolen and the only way I could think of to verify it was truly his was to see the receipt or, since he said, he bought it off Reverb, confirm that in some way. I was not referring to the safety of the sale. And BTW, I agree with you skycomishone.