The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

GIBSON ES-175 ALL ORIGINAL ARCHTOP GUITAR w/CASE!
    THIS IS IN REALLY NICE CONDITION. REALLY A GEM OF A JAZZ BOX. I THINK THE PHOTOS SAY IT ALL.
    THIS IS ALSO A RARE NATURAL DARK SUNBURST THAT'S A BIT DIFFERENT FROM THE SUNBURST OF THAT TIME.
    NO MAJOR DINGS, NO NECK REPAIRS OR VISIBLE SIGN OF ANY REPAIR OF ANY KIND THAT I CAN SEE. NO MODIFICATIONS. ELECTRONICS WORK WELL AND SEEM UNTAMPERED WITH. THE ORIGINAL GIBSON KLUSON STYLE TUNERS SAY GIBSON ON THEM AND WORK REALLY WELL. NECK IS STRAIGHT AND THE GUITAR PLAYS EASILY. NECK IS MEDIUM GIRTH, NOT FAT AND NOT SUPER THIN. STANDARD WIDTH AT THE NUT. FRETS ARE LOW BUT STILL PLAYABLE, COULD US A REFRET IN THE NEAR FUTURE. THERE ARE SOME TYPICAL STRESS SURFACE TYPE CRACKS AROUND THE GUITAR BUT NOTHING YOU WOULDNT EXPECT OR NOT WANT IN A VINTAGE 175.
    SERIAL NUMBER 81760015 MADE IN KALAMAZOO, MICHIGAN USA.
    CAN SEND A VIDEO UPON REQUEST.
    CASE IS WELL WORN (SEE PHOTOS) BUT IS INTACT WITH ALL CLAMPS, SNAPS AND HANDLE OPERATIONAL.

THANKS FOR VIEWING AND MAY YOU BE BLESSED.

WOULD PREFER TO WORK THINGS OUTSIDE REVERB TO SAFE ON FEE'S

HERE'S THE LINK TO THE REVERB:

Gibson ES-175D 1973-75 Sunburst | Reverb

Looking to get 4k OBO
    Attached Images Attached Images Gibson ES-175D 1980 Sunburst-img_3592-jpg Gibson ES-175D 1980 Sunburst-img_3591-jpg Gibson ES-175D 1980 Sunburst-img_3590-jpg Gibson ES-175D 1980 Sunburst-img_3589-jpg Gibson ES-175D 1980 Sunburst-img_3588-jpg Gibson ES-175D 1980 Sunburst-img_3583-jpg 
    Last edited by Jaharvest; 01-13-2024 at 11:51 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks like that guitar is from 1980. Also, that means it should have a three piece maple neck, which as best I can tell, it does. That will be important to some buyers for sure. Also, that burst isn’t unusual for 1980. Kalamazoo is correct though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Serial number dates from 73-75 though. So that was my confusion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jaharvest
    Serial number dates from 73-75 though. So that was my confusion.
    The year for this guitar’s SN is found by taking the first and fifth numbers in that SN. You can decode it like this YDDDYXXX. Y+Y = the year, so 80 for 1980 in this case. DDD is the day of the year, and XXX is the sequential number for that day, at that time 001-499 = Kalamazoo.

I have no idea where 73-75 came from. They didn’t have that many numbers.

Gibson ES-175D 1980 Sunburst-capture-png

What I got from reverb.

User Info Menu

Your guitar has a lot more numbers in the serial number than that. You’re looking at the wrong section. You need to look just a little further down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Your guitar has a lot more numbers in the serial number than that. You’re looking at the wrong section. You need to look just a little further down.
    I count "8" digits in the OP's SN and "8" digits in your response. More?

According to the Gibson website (and as suggested by two astute JGO members), a guitar with SN 81760015 would have been the 15th guitar stamped at the Kalamazoo factory on June 27, 1980.

Awesome, Appreciate the correction on that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzshrink
    I count "8" digits in the OP's SN and "8" digits in your response. More?

According to the Gibson website (and as suggested by two astute JGO members), a guitar with SN 81760015 would have been the 15th guitar stamped at the Kalamazoo factory on June 27, 1980.
    More numbers than a guitar from 73-75 would have.

User Info Menu

I remember the run on these sometime in '81/82 when Guitar Center blew them out for ridiculously low prices - played one just like this and it was an exceptionally good sounding instrument. My buddy who worked at GC in Hollywood at the time still has his and won't part with it ...
    These prove the point that Gibson turned out good playing and sounding guitars in the 80's - arguably not all of them were up to par but still. GLWTS !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    More numbers than a guitar from 73-75 would have.
    Thanks for clarifying (and your avatar is awesome, imo).

bump